• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Proper shirt fit? How to check you own

RicoItaliano

Reaction score
Hello,

I am curious about how one would go about checking ones shirt for proper fit. Is there suttle things to look for that indicate proper or improper fit?

EXA: I understand that when checking the length of the sleve while the shirt is on one would bend the elbow outward a little and see where the cuff sits, is this true and are there other tips?

Thanks.

mrchapel

Reaction score
Collar: You should be able to stick two fingers in between your shirt collar and neck and move them around comfortably. If you cannot, the collar is too tight.

Sleeves: You should be able to bend your arm and not cause the cuffs to retract away from your wrist. Your cuffs should remain at the wrist at all times.
There should be very little bunching in the sleeves.

Shoulders: The shirt should not be tight when extending your arms forward. You should be able to move comfortably without feeling like you have too much room or not enough room.

Waist: You should be able to comfortably tuck in your shirt and not feel like you're wearing a balloon. The waist of the shirt should be tapered. A good dress shirt length is to your crotch if not slightly longer, and conforms to your sides.

This is what I have learned and how I like my dress shirts to fit. Others may agree or disagree.

RicoItaliano

Reaction score
Originally Posted by mrchapel
Collar: You should be able to stick two fingers in between your shirt collar and neck and move them around comfortably. If you cannot, the collar is too tight.

Sleeves: You should be able to bend your arm and not cause the cuffs to retract away from your wrist. Your cuffs should remain at the wrist at all times.

Shoulders: The shirt should not be tight when extending your arms forward. You should be able to move comfortably without feeling like you have too much room or not enough room.

Waist: You should be able to comfortably tuck in your shirt and not feel like you're wearing a balloon. The waist of the shirt should be tapered. A good dress shirt length is to your crotch if not slightly longer, and conforms to your sides.

This is what I have learned and how I like my dress shirts to fit. Others may agree or disagree.

Thanks for the tips.

Claudio

Reaction score
I find that if a shirt is worn with a tie, it needs to fit well onto the neck and no sagging or loose fittings. So therefor in my opinion the collar needs to be just right when bottoned up, and there should not be much room inbetween.

RicoItaliano

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Claudio
I find that if a shirt is worn with a tie, it needs to fit well onto the neck and no sagging or loose fittings. So therefor in my opinion the collar needs to be just right when bottoned up, and there should not be much room inbetween.

I rarely where a tie, not only do I have trouble getting it right but when either a shirt collar or a tie is too close to my neck it makes me gag. Just me I guess.
musicboohoo[1].gif

RicoItaliano

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Claudio

P.S. Hello from the States!

I really enjoy the global conversations in these forums, really think it is awesome that people from so many areas get together and talk.

Viva Italia!

mrchapel

Reaction score
Originally Posted by RicoItaliano
I rarely where a tie, not only do I have trouble getting it right but when either a shirt collar or a tie is too close to my neck it makes me gag. Just me I guess.
musicboohoo[1].gif

That is a sign that your shirt's collar is too tight
frown.gif
; I bet you going up another measurement will give you much more breathing room.
smile.gif

RicoItaliano

Reaction score
That is a sign that your shirt's collar is too tight
frown.gif
; I bet you going up another measurement will give you much more breathing room.
smile.gif

Yes, as obvious as it was I guess I was not paying too much attention
confused.gif

Boy I feel dumb now.

mrchapel

Reaction score
Originally Posted by RicoItaliano
Yes, as obvious as it was I guess I was not paying too much attention
confused.gif

Boy I feel dumb now.

There is no need to feel dumb RicoItaliano
smile.gif
. The only questions that are stupid and dumb are the questions that are not asked.

GQgeek

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
There is no need to feel dumb RicoItaliano
smile.gif
. The only questions that are stupid and dumb are the questions that are not asked.

That saying is so clichÃ
00a9.png
. There are a lot of dumb questions that get asked all the time. I'm not targetting Rico, just saying...

mrchapel

Reaction score
Originally Posted by GQgeek
That saying is so clichÃ
00a9.png
. There are a lot of dumb questions that get asked all the time. I'm not targetting Rico, just saying...

Yes but they are not dumb to the person asking. Not everyone knows everything. That's the point. For instance, I know nothing about Applied Physics.

RicoItaliano

Reaction score
Yes but they are not dumb to the person asking. Not everyone knows everything. That's the point. For instance, I know nothing about Applied Physics.

Well I don't really feel dumb, just after I thought about it wondered why I did not think of it as I was choking myself
wow.gif

Anyway, good tips.

Perhaps someone could put a sticky up regarding tips on how to self check fits of misc. items EXA: Suit coats, Pants etc... for noobs like myself.

GucciKid

Reaction score

Question about sleeve fit...

If the cuff is sliding back, away from the hand when the arms are moved, what does it generally mean, that the sleeves are too tight, or that the cuff is too loose? I'm thinking it means there's not enough room to move in the sleeves but am not positive.

SlamMan

Reaction score
Originally Posted by GucciKid
Question about sleeve fit...

If the cuff is sliding back, away from the hand when the arms are moved, what does it generally mean, that the sleeves are too tight, or that the cuff is too loose? I'm thinking it means there's not enough room to move in the sleeves but am not positive.

That sounds like the sleeves are too short.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads