Proper fit of shirts

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by scnupe7, Sep 3, 2004.

1. scnupe7

scnupe7 Senior member

How do you know when a shirt fits properly in the shoulders and if the sleeves are long enough. I have found that the sleeves feel best when the bottom of the sleeves rests at the first knuckle of my thumb when the sleeves is unbuttoned and my arm is relaxed. This way when they are buttoned and I raise my arm to my face, the sleeve does not move down my arm. What do you guys think?

2. kidkim2

kidkim2 Senior member

That sounds good. IMHO, five-eighths of an inch of cuff should emerge from jacket sleeve when one is standing with arms at sides.

3. Brian SD

Brian SD Moderator

That is where I like my sleeves to rest as well, it seems. As for shoulders, it is often difficult to get a perfect fit with OTR, but I like the shoulder seam to rest diagonally on the point just before my shoulder slopes downward. That is hard to describe, but it is very obvious when the shoulders are too small (seams rest on the bone), or are too wide (relief of the shoulder can be seen above the seam of the shirt).

4. faustian bargain

faustian bargain Senior member

5/8" --- NICE...i like it when a man is precise. i tend to have more cuff showing, but mostly because i'm a cheap SOB who doesn't want to pay to have my jacket cuffs altered. i've always heard 1/2", but i like your 5/8" better. maybe 9/16". [​IMG] the office manager calls it my 'dean martin' look. i don't think she's being complimentary. /andrew - hasn't had a martini in much too long