• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Proper Cloth Shirts {Pic Heavy}

PhilKenSebben

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I recently ordered two shirts from Proper Cloth a bit back and they arrived today. I wanted to share some observations, comments, and pictures.

First an observation: The shirt arrived a day early! That in and of itself is pretty exciting.

The Shirt on the left is Canclini Light Blue Medium Check PCF384, Soft Ivy Button Down Collar, Soft One Button Cuff, Split Yoke, Mother of Pearl Buttons

The shirt on the right is Bowery Yellow Pinpoint PCF545, President Spread Collar, One Button Barrel Cuff, Split Yoke, Mother of Pearl Buttons

I sent in a shirt i had made by my local tailor for measurements. PC took very good care of my shirt, took the measurements very well and sent it back ASAP

I tried on the Bowery one first

All in all, I am happy with the fit. I find the collar to be a bit loose and the cuffs to be a bit big. However, according to the letter in the box, the collar and cuffs will shrink .25-.75" after a washing.

The Bowery yellow is a bit more yellow than I anticipated.

Now the blue shirt

Same issues with this shirt as the yellow one, Cuffs and collar a bit big. However I LOVE the soft collar and cuffs. It is a very nice combination and a wonderful casual look.

I am in the process of washing both shirts as we speak. I am following the care instructions on the shirt

Wash Warm
Tumble Dry Low
Warm Steam Iron

I will take new pictures after the washing and ironing. I will also wait until after the washing and ironing to determine if i need to make any changes to sizing.

As a final note, the construction and hand of the fabric is excellent, so far, I would highly recommend the company!

Cheers all!

Marc Voorhees

PhilKenSebben

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Andrew Ryan

Reaction score
Very nice. The Soft Ivy collar is full of win; I have it on all the shirts I wear with a tie but not with a suit (i.e., with SC and trou).

jungleroller

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
That picture of the soft ivy collar looks better than the one they have on their website. I just got a couple more in today as well. I went with a Londoner Spread and the other a soft Milano cut away. I've got a couple Milano collars and those are close to my favourites but I don't like having two top buttons on those so thats why I went with the soft Milano cut away as it only has one.

The sleeves on the yellow look a tad long but that may change once you wash as well. Seems like a bit of fabric bunch up in the elbow area. Looks good though! :slayer:

PhilKenSebben

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have retaken some pictures as promised.

The shirts were washed according to the care instructions. I tried to iron them, and realized I hadn't ironed a shirt in 5 years and it isn't like riding a bicycle. My apologies for the wrinkles. They are off to the dry cleaners next

Collar and cuff certainly tightened up a bit (Collar especially). I am debating whether to bring the cuffs in by .25 any ideas?

The only thing I am not sure about is the wavy bit between the first and second button on the yellow shirt. any thoughts/suggestions about what that is or what measurement to change to fix that? on the plus side, under a tie you cant notice and I plan on wearing these with ties.

As of right now, I am planning on ordering 3 more immediately.

Cheers all!

JackFlash

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Nice fit on the shirts! Cuffs and collars will certainly shrink with washing.

ccallis

Reaction score
Hey Marc,
Looks like the fit is really close. I'd say you can bring the cuffs in another .25", even if they'll shrink down a pinch more than what they have already. Other than that, you should be able to eliminate some, or all, of the bulging of the placket between the collar and first button by adding our neck forward adjustment. I'd suggest doing the 1" neck forward.

Best,
Chris

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads