• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Prada shoe size help!

Drez

Reaction score
I got these prada monk strap loafers online as 11d and they're too big, figured it's uk sizing but felt more than half size. looking at numbers thinking they might be 12d! Help, are these us/uk 11/12?

Drez

Reaction score
Nobody? The box says clear 11d, the left of the code where my AE's have their code shoes 1 space 2d (12d?) the the far right where AE has 4 digit codes it says11...anyone familuar with these?

Drez

Reaction score
Perhaps that's fair. I did contact Prada via email, still waiting to hear back.

My homework on the matter suggests that as I previously suspected they do use UK sizing as per Neiman Marcus, further using their chart this would mean they are either a US 11.5 or 12.5 depending on whether the shoe code is actually a 12 or an 11 UK.

Shoes
shoes.gif

Confusing matters however I pulled this off of the the Prada USA buy online website which suggests adding an extra half size. I.e. for marked UK 11 Prada would actually fit US 12. This is consistent with styleforum searches although there doesn't seem to be a clear consensus on the matter.

INCHES
101/8
101/4
101/2
103/4
111/4
111/2
EUROPE
UNITED KINGDOM
USA
CANADA
MEXICO
JAPAN
KOREA
AUSTRALIA

Biggest step for me now is figuring out what the markings mean, 11D or 12D.

Wayward

Reaction score
Given that "D" is only used in American sizing for medium width (European sizing normally uses "F"), it's likely American. However, shoe size is highly dependent on its last, so chances are those shoes' lasts are simply larger than what you were expecting. There's a reason why there are literally thousands of posts dedicated to just discussing how various lasts fit (look at the Carmina, Alden and AE threads).

Drez

Reaction score
Given that "D" is only used in American sizing for medium width (European sizing normally uses "F"), it's likely American. However, shoe size is highly dependent on its last, so chances are those shoes' lasts are simply larger than what you were expecting. There's a reason why there are literally thousands of posts dedicated to just discussing how various lasts fit (look at the Carmina, Alden and AE threads).

Very true, but be it due to sizing or last, this shoe is already a write off for me. My interest is in:
A) future purchases (important to know where things went wrong in order to avoid in the future)
B) correct listing in resale and
C) posterity (help others in similar situations)
So Im going beyond whether the last is good for me in this case, rather focused on what the codes mean and what Prada intended for the size as a reference point.

I considered the nomenclature issue same as you, that D would imply US sizing, that said only on the Box is it clear and given the sale was in the US that doesn't help me very much as they could have misinterpreted it, mislabeled it or converted it. In fact I'm thinking that's exactly what happened.

The writing in the shoe is the closest to indisputable I have to work with [code reads: 1 2D 1781 11] and while I have enough familiarity decoding AE, Prada's code is a mystery. The placement of the 1 2D might suggest 12 D, the spacing would suggest otherwise however and given, like you say, that they probably wouldn't use D for width I'm thinking not. The 4 digit 1781 could be a last but I'm guessing its maybe the model number. The last 11 then might be the size. Still a lot of maybe; Hence the OP.

If I assume the store label is wrong but the OEM box is right, then 2D 1781 matches the code and is the model, not sure on the initial 1, maybe colour, and the final 11 through deduction could UK size 11. Based on Prada online chart, Saks and a some others that would make these a US12.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 101 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 99 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 35 12.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.9%

Forum statistics

Threads