• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Post-apocalyptic U.S.: where would you go?

yachtie

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Mark from Plano
As nattily dressed a crew of swashbucklers as ever sailed the briny deep. The real question is who you will get to bespeak your eye patches and puffy shirts.
Arrrrr.

mistewacko

Reaction score
South America - Brazil, Argentina and Uraguay
S.E. Asia - the Philippines, New Zeland
...this is of course assuming I have acquired the proper travel docs/residency visas and/or citizenship and a residence in the respective country

Tokyo Slim

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
If my car runs, I'll use it to raid grocery store, gas station, and mil surplus for supplies.

Checklist:
water
nonperishable food
cigarettes
gas
matches
seeds and spices
duct tape
camping pots and pans
fatugues
survival kit
life raft
water purifier and colloidal silver
wax
rope
tarps and blankets
fishing hooks, rod, reel, and line.
plastic wrap
hand crank flashlight and radio
gunz and ammo
ammo press and bulk powder if possible.
flare gun
hand tools
hatchet
many pairs of boots, various sizes
Appreciation

Concordia

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by yachtie
Easy for you to say. All you have to do is pull the hook and split.
wink.gif

Come on, now. This is the apocalypse we're speaking of? Gotta think big.

FLMountainMan

White Hispanic
Reaction score
My plan for this deviates significantly from my zombie war survival plan:

I'd hide out in the coastal swamps of the panhandle (Florida). Lots of fish, gators, deer, and hogs to eat. The gulf is right there for quick navigation. Minimal chance of freezing to death. Would be hell in the summer, but I'd be safe.

The trip to the Rockies would be too far and too dangerous. The Smokies would be, I'm guessing, filled to the brim with other refugees so I'd want to avoid that place.

kwilkinson

Having a Ball
Reaction score
I would stay where I am. Maybe meet up with Globetrotter. With his military experience and my survival cooking skills, we would quickly become the warlords of Chicago.

thekunk07

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
i will slice open fcuknu with my lightsaber and live inside him.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
I actually think my wife and I will do okay in the post apocalypse. Unlike you lawyers, accountant, IB folks, etc., we have skills that will be welcomed in the post-apocalyptic world. Her civil engineering, with my medical and public health training, will be valued by the inhabitants of enclaves that are bound to form. As entertainment will also be valued, since the NetWebz will be history, those of us with musical training will find ourselves extra welcome.

kwilkinson

Having a Ball
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Piobaire
I actually think my wife and I will do okay in the post apocalypse. Unlike you lawyers, accountant, IB folks, etc., we have skills that will be welcomed in the post-apocalyptic world. Her civil engineering, with my medical and public health training, will be valued by the inhabitants of enclaves that are bound to form. As entertainment will also be valued, since the NetWebz will be history, those of us with musical training will find ourselves extra welcome.

You can come to Chicago and live w/ Globe and I. Chicago is beautiful in the...... 3 weeks of the year.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Originally Posted by kwilkinson
You can come to Chicago and live w/ Globe and I. Chicago is beautiful in the...... 3 weeks of the year.

LOL.

Best bet might be to head to my sister's in northern Ontario. They already get most of their protein from hunting and fishing, have well water, and the majority of people (including her family) heat with wood. Winters are harsh...now...but in the post apocalypse? I figure sun bathing in December.

kwilkinson

Having a Ball
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Piobaire
LOL.

Best bet might be to head to my sister's in northern Ontario. They already get most of their protein from hunting and fishing, have well water, and the majority of people (including her family) heat with wood. Winters are harsh...now...but in the post apocalypse? I figure sun bathing in December.

Good thinking.
I just realized that Globe has a wife and probably doesn't need me for my survival skills as much as I'd need him for his fighting skills. I now change my vote. I will go to France. Even a ***** like me could kick all those *****'s asses. I will be Kyle De Wilk.

Edit: ****!!! I just realized I'm a fat, corn-fed boy. They'll probably mistake me for foie gras.....

In a post-apocalyptic USA, I'm fucked.

TyCooN

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Connemara
Here is the scenario: Sometime in the near future, World War III will occur. It exacts a toll ten times that of WWII. 2 billion people will die, fighting will be perpetual, widespread famine/disease/squalor is common. The U.S. government completely collapses. Millions of American citizens are killed when the CONUS is invaded. In this land of anarchy, what would you do? Where would you go? In an ideal situation, I would have a small cabin somewhere deep in the wilderness. Maybe Michigan's Upper Peninsula (though the area would be almost too inhospitable in the winter), rural Montana/Idaho, maybe somewhere in the Adirondacks or Green Mountains. I'd flee to the cabin and bring as much food as possible. Other necessities would be batteries, warm clothes, guns, ammunition, tools, and whatever communication devices are available in 2040 or whenever this happens. In this scenario there is no nuclear war, so no fallout. Therefore fish and game are relatively safe to eat. I'd try to focus on deer for my protein needs, but I guess smaller game would be fair if hunger sets in. It would be lonely, no? Would you rather go on like this or just die?
I'd travel to Aubagne, France with hopes of getting jumped into THE ELITE OF THE ELITE.
396px-Grenade_legion.svg.png
800px-FFLegion.JPEG
325px-French_Foreign_Legion_dsc06878.jpg
2rep-screensaver.jpg
foreign-legion-025.jpg
You don't gotta be that smart.

Tokyo Slim

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Connemara
I would bring my Bean Boots.
You will probably be killed and butchered for your bacon. I wouldn't bother bringing anything. Maybe some beer.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads