• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Possible to shorten a desert boot?

totenhosen

Reaction score
have some bottega dessert boots (voortrekker?). Was between two sizes, one was a bit too tight in width and the other was a little too long. Was in a hurry and ended up with the one that's a bit too long.

Picture:
desertboot.jpg

Is it feasible someone would take 2cm out of the length for me? I imagine (without any shoe making knowledge) it may be possible to slightly disassemble, punch the front down shorter then tie it all back up after cutting off the excess.

Am I dreaming? I really like the shoe.

MachineGunKelley

Reaction score
Isn't that a chelsea boot?

I would just wear thicker socks with it. Or return it for the smaller size, because I'm pretty sure it should stretch out for you.

GBR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You are dreaming. To think that you can remove 2cm of a boot/shoe is arrant nonsense and you should accept that they do not fit you.

Either try the size smaller or just move on, life is too short to flog dead horses.

michaelvl

Reaction score
If you haven't worn them take them back and consider getting the smaller size. Leather shoes don't stretch lengthwise but do widthwise.
It is likely that after a couple of wears the smaller size would have stretched to accommodate your feet, otherwise, you could have had them stretched by a cobbler. Many brands also offer shoes in various widths.

You can forget about have 2CM taken out of the length.. LOL...

totenhosen

Reaction score
Thank you gentleman for setting me straight with such unabashed assertiveness. Sadly I've worn these already (only twice) so I'll throw them out and buy a smaller pair if they're still available.

So I know, how much do I expect the width to stretch? They say it's calf leather, are we talking 2mm or could I expect maybe even 5mm? My feet are pretty wide.

MachineGunKelley

Reaction score
Don't have exact measurements, but I know on several occasions where I've purchased shoes that were bordering too snug, after a few wears they end up fitting perfectly.

michaelvl

Reaction score
Thank you gentleman for setting me straight with such unabashed assertiveness. Sadly I've worn these already (only twice) so I'll throw them out and buy a smaller pair if they're still available.

So I know, how much do I expect the width to stretch? They say it's calf leather, are we talking 2mm or could I expect maybe even 5mm? My feet are pretty wide.

I have had shoes increase slightly less than half a size in volume in the toe box area after break-in. Quality leather shoes are generally required to be broken in. During the break-in period, the forefoot area increases not only due to the stretching of the leather across the vamp but also because the cork-filled sole (that runs from the midfoot to the nose of the shoe) compresses and molds to your feet. I have never required a pair of shoes to stretched by a cobbler or DIY by using tools, I have always broken them in at home by wearing them. If they initially felt slightly tight, I would wear them indoors for 10-30 minutes and gradually increasing the amount of time I wear them.

There are quite a few videos on YouTube on the subject of breaking-in or stretching leather shoes.
Good luck.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads