• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

am55

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What do you think about French Riviera inspired brand Corniche?

Personally I like the clean design and the blue hands makes it pop a bit.

Not a fan.

It would be OK if this was yet another quartz-with-nice-ish-case $350 (!) dress watch, sure, it would blend in with the other thousand options at or below that price point (I'd personally go for a Citizen Stiletto). But the "Limited edition: 1 of 250" bit is what takes it into tacky territory.

It's about philosophy. Why does the watch have Roman numerals and no seconds hand? Because it's an evening watch, you're not supposed to keep track of time whilst enjoying the hospitality, so it's a bit harder to read and matched with understated quality. To then clamour the exclusivity like that... it's against the spirit. If you really must have it, have it on the back. There's no movement to look at anyway.

I don't mind the quartz part. Dress watches (for black tie) should be slim, and automatics are not, whilst manuals are rare at low price points in sufficiently classical design (IMO - can you think of any for < $300?). Perhaps I'd like it better with a cheap slim manual wind movement.

On the upside enamel dial and blued steel hands are nice to have.

OdlanWH

Reaction score
Not a fan.

It would be OK if this was yet another quartz-with-nice-ish-case $350 (!) dress watch, sure, it would blend in with the other thousand options at or below that price point (I'd personally go for a Citizen Stiletto). But the "Limited edition: 1 of 250" bit is what takes it into tacky territory.

It's about philosophy. Why does the watch have Roman numerals and no seconds hand? Because it's an evening watch, you're not supposed to keep track of time whilst enjoying the hospitality, so it's a bit harder to read and matched with understated quality. To then clamour the exclusivity like that... it's against the spirit. If you really must have it, have it on the back. There's no movement to look at anyway.

I don't mind the quartz part. Dress watches (for black tie) should be slim, and automatics are not, whilst manuals are rare at low price points in sufficiently classical design (IMO - can you think of any for < $300?). Perhaps I'd like it better with a cheap slim manual wind movement.

DerangedGoose

Reaction score

I too wish there was a greater availability of slim, manual wind dress watches (to me, a proper dress watch must have no date. No seconds is best but I am more flexible on this criteria).

Mechanical:

Orient Monarch, $268:

Beijing Watch Factory Zhufeng S $330

Beijing Watch Factory Behai 5.0 $400

Use lionseek.com to aggregate for-sale listings from all watch forums and you can find a good deal. If you are willing to expand your criteria to power reserve options and date-at-6 or date-symmetrical (its the date at 3 or 4 that ruins a dress watch), there are some decent options from Orient, Seiko, and the chinese manufacturers.

Personally, I would go vintage at this point as a proper dress watch also needs to be modestly sized, and the current fashion seems to be edging towards dinner-plate territory.

The Soviet 2209 movement was the thinnest in the world at its debut, and vintage examples from Luch, Poljot, Vympel, and Raketa can be had under $100 easily in excellent condition:

Aside from the Russian watches, vintage swiss watches can be had all day on ebay. My personal preference is Longines, which are extremely well made and sell relatively cheaply (under $500). Here is mine. I am not sure if the crown and hands are original, but it is 38mm (keep in mind vintage watches usually run 34-36mm, and there is a premium for bigger ones):

Another good swiss watch on the larger size is the Atlantic Worldmaster. Other, lesser known swiss names or defunct swiss brands sell even cheaper. Keep your eyes out and youll be able to find one under $300 easily in good condition. Sometimes the dials are restored / repainted, but to be honest I would prefer a very well executed restored dial to a worn and tattered original, as I am not a fan of the beat up look.

Last edited:

DerangedGoose

Reaction score
Also, this is one of my beloved Raketas. Its difficult to find sunburst dials in totally mint condition, as they tend to rust / oxidize in moisture, but this was a cheap beauty I couldnt pass up:

Large for a vintage watch (39mm), it technically resides in the wrong case; gold dials were sold in gold plated cases while silver sunburst dials (I am on the lookout for one) came with chrome plated cases like the one this one is housed in. To further make my search difficult, I collect only cyrillic dial models (millions of english ones were made for export), preferably with the USSR quality mark, shown in the catalog here:

Its a great hobby that doesnt break the bank! I dont think Ive paid more than $150 for a totally mint example

Last edited:

New Shoes1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It's an automatic, but the Hamilton Intramatic makes for a great PMW dress watch. It has a date, but no seconds hand. More importantly, it's 38 mm.

ShawnBC

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^^ nice watch!

Edit* I meant "tie", but it still apply - the Intra-Matic looks really nice!

Last edited:

tifosi

Tire Kicker
Reaction score
Love that Hamilton. I just wish it was a couple MM smaller in diameter.

New Shoes1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It's a great value dress watch, but for some reason I never bonded with it. I wore it maybe 5 - 6 times max and have not pulled it out of the box in 8 months at this point in time.
shog[1].gif

tifosi

Tire Kicker
Reaction score

It's a great value dress watch, but for some reason I never bonded with it.  I wore it maybe 5 - 6 times max and have not pulled it out of the box in 8 months at this point in time. 
shog%5B1%5D.gif

I tried it on quite a few times, but like I said, I just needed it to be 2 or so mm smaller.

OdlanWH

Reaction score
I too wish there was a greater availability of slim, manual wind dress watches (to me, a proper dress watch must have no date. No seconds is best but I am more flexible on this criteria).

Mechanical:

Orient Monarch, $268:

Beijing Watch Factory Zhufeng S $330

Beijing Watch Factory Behai 5.0 $400

Use lionseek.com to aggregate for-sale listings from all watch forums and you can find a good deal. If you are willing to expand your criteria to power reserve options and date-at-6 or date-symmetrical (its the date at 3 or 4 that ruins a dress watch), there are some decent options from Orient, Seiko, and the chinese manufacturers.

Personally, I would go vintage at this point as a proper dress watch also needs to be modestly sized, and the current fashion seems to be edging towards dinner-plate territory.

The Soviet 2209 movement was the thinnest in the world at its debut, and vintage examples from Luch, Poljot, Vympel, and Raketa can be had under $100 easily in excellent condition:

Aside from the Russian watches, vintage swiss watches can be had all day on ebay. My personal preference is Longines, which are extremely well made and sell relatively cheaply (under $500). Here is mine. I am not sure if the crown and hands are original, but it is 38mm (keep in mind vintage watches usually run 34-36mm, and there is a premium for bigger ones):

Another good swiss watch on the larger size is the Atlantic Worldmaster. Other, lesser known swiss names or defunct swiss brands sell even cheaper. Keep your eyes out and youll be able to find one under $300 easily in good condition. Sometimes the dials are restored / repainted, but to be honest I would prefer a very well executed restored dial to a worn and tattered original, as I am not a fan of the beat up look.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 101 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 99 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 35 12.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.9%

Forum statistics

Threads