• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

ljl

Reaction score
Going through my watch collection and I think I came up with a box worth of “keepers”. I might put together one more box of keepers, or at least watches that aren’t a priority to sell.

Other than the Speedy (which I don’t think I’m 100% committed to), it’s sort of interesting that most of the ones I really want to keep are squarely in the “poor man’s” price range, particularly the Orange Monster, SBBN007 Tuna, the G-Shock, and Marathon TSAR.

View attachment 1889425 View attachment 1889427 View attachment 1889429 View attachment 1889431 View attachment 1889433 View attachment 1889435 View attachment 1889437 View attachment 1889439 View attachment 1889441 View attachment 1889445 View attachment 1889447 View attachment 1889451 View attachment 1889453
Awesome collection here @Michigan Planner! Thanks for sharing. Curious about your take on the Sinns..

And those Helsons look cool, have always liked what I've seen online.

Last edited:

ljl

Reaction score
Brown Alpinist with a Ratio Clothing cord shirt.

tempImagexOwDym.jpg

Michigan Planner

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Awesome collection here @Michigan Planner! Thanks for sharing. Curious about your take on the Sinns..

And those Helsons look cool, have always liked what I've seen online.

I’ve had a bunch of Sinns over the years and the quality is always top notch. They’re generally on the chunkier side of things but always very well made and next to indestructible.

The U1 was my entry into Sinn, and the first higher-end watch I ever bought, and I always loved it. It definitely has a unique look, with its LEGO-looking hands, and while I held onto it for years, I eventually started wearing it less and less. My tastes changed and it was just a little too big and too heavy. When they introduced the U50 though it was a no-brainer. Sold the U1 and bought a U50. Much more wearable size for me but with the same great look. Both are still great watches though.

If I had a complaint though about the Sinns it would be that the lume is always a little weak - doesn’t matter if it’s a diver or a pilot watch.

Michigan Planner

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Speaking of Sinn, here’s an old photo of my 356 with a copper dial. This one might be the most unique dial I’ve seen on a Sinn I sold it in ‘15 or ‘16 and it’s definitely one of those sales I regret more than others.

ljl

Reaction score
Speaking of Sinn, here’s an old photo of my 356 with a copper dial. This one might be the most unique dial I’ve seen on a Sinn I sold it in ‘15 or ‘16 and it’s definitely one of those sales I regret more than others.

That looks pretty cool!

Nealjpage

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
A recent project was this Bulova Royal Clipper from 1960. Cost me $25. On the original expando bracelet. My servicing was the first time it had been worked on. Sadly the crown leaked and the dial has some water damage.
20230206_142440.jpg

Original cost was $59.50 ($69.50 in some advertisements).
Screenshot_20230206-192653_Chrome.jpg

Adjusting for inflation, that Bulova would cost approximately $600 today, something I certainly couldn't afford.

Nealjpage

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Pandaros

Reaction score
Visited my parents last weekend and had a look through some of my now long deceased grandfather's things.

I didn't think to take it with me, but he had a Seiko 5. I can't find out a lot about it, but it's this model and this colour iirc:

gents-seiko-5-automatic-watch-with-day-date-window-p1149-2207_image.jpg

How is it as a watch? Obviously won't be thrown away, but I wonder whether I should have brought it with me to include in the rotating collection.

Michigan Planner

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
@Pandaros - Seiko 5 watches are pretty solid. They may not be the most accurate watches out there but I recall reading that they are pretty easily and inexpensively regulated by a competent watchmaker to get some better accuracy out of them if you wanted to. The bracelet is probably trash but tons of replacements out there (and I think an inexpensive leather strap works on that one pretty nicely).

I really like a lot of those older Seiko 5 watches (before the switch to the current logo) and had one for a long time. I actually still have it but it's in a bunch of pieces since I used it to try my hand at watch modding... I was not successful.

Nealjpage

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Visited my parents last weekend and had a look through some of my now long deceased grandfather's things.

I didn't think to take it with me, but he had a Seiko 5. I can't find out a lot about it, but it's this model and this colour iirc:

gents-seiko-5-automatic-watch-with-day-date-window-p1149-2207_image.jpg

How is it as a watch? Obviously won't be thrown away, but I wonder whether I should have brought it with me to include in the rotating collection.
If you're looking to learn watch repair, those older Seikos are excellent places to start. I have a half dozen and like them a lot.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads