• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

am55

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
1670120435915.png

Just a hair under PMW ceiling.

SixOhNine

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't love the asymmetric case, but it is damn nice.

am55

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Pretty happy with my new purchase.

View attachment 1864062
Thanks for the photo. There are very, very few wrist shots of the series 8 around, which is a shame because Citizen's recent forays into the mechanical middle market following their excellent high accuracy quartz (more interesting, IMO, than Seiko's... but I digress) are quite promising. The brand flies under the radar diluted by their eco-drive mass market image.

I note the case is even fatter than on the promo shots, perhaps because the complex environment breaks up the reflections and draws away from the highly gem like, sculpted, angular design. It's almost in Seiko turtle territory. But at the same time the long, thin markers break up the edge of the dial and make it look larger than it is. You can sort of understand the logic. I've never seen one in the flesh. Must correct that soon.

DorianGreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the photo. There are very, very few wrist shots of the series 8 around, which is a shame because Citizen's recent forays into the mechanical middle market following their excellent high accuracy quartz (more interesting, IMO, than Seiko's... but I digress) are quite promising. The brand flies under the radar diluted by their eco-drive mass market image.

I note the case is even fatter than on the promo shots, perhaps because the complex environment breaks up the reflections and draws away from the highly gem like, sculpted, angular design. It's almost in Seiko turtle territory. But at the same time the long, thin markers break up the edge of the dial and make it look larger than it is. You can sort of understand the logic. I've never seen one in the flesh. Must correct that soon.

A really nice watch, pretty different from the usual cheap Eco-Drive Citizen. I bought it at €669 and think it's an excellent entry level timepiece.

There are also a silver and a blue dial versions.

Screenshot (147).png
orologio-citizen-meccanico-serie-8.jpg

As well as a limited version with a brown operated dial and a leather strap (not my taste)

Screenshot (148).png

Reactions: ljl

NakedYoga

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

A really nice watch, pretty different from the usual cheap Eco-Drive Citizen. I bought it at €669 and think it's an excellent entry level timepiece.

There are also a silver and a blue dial versions.

View attachment 1864588 View attachment 1864586

As well as a limited version with a brown operated dial and a leather strap (not my taste)

View attachment 1864597
It's definitely an interesting case shape. I really like the angles at the lugs. The dial is nice, too. The only thing I don't really like is the "Series 8" text, which reminds me too much of the default email font I use at the office. It doesn't really go together with the Citizen logo. I think the dial would look much better with that model text removed altogether.

To @am55 's point, it's nice to see something completely different from Citizen. When I think of the brand, I immediately think Eco Drive.

DorianGreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It's definitely an interesting case shape. I really like the angles at the lugs. The dial is nice, too. The only thing I don't really like is the "Series 8" text, which reminds me too much of the default email font I use at the office. It doesn't really go together with the Citizen logo. I think the dial would look much better with that model text removed altogether.

To @am55 's point, it's nice to see something completely different from Citizen. When I think of the brand, I immediately think Eco Drive.

I agree with you. As often, text is mostly redundant and unnecessary. Rolex is a brilliant example.

am55

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Technically, the amazing 0100 (16 times the PMW budget, 1 second per year through some true mechanical magic) is eco drive: https://www.citizenwatch-global.com/caliber0100/technology02.html

A bit like the Toyota Century (or "real" Land Cruiser, built in the best factory in Japan to extreme standards, withdrawn from the US market, 3 year wait list in Australia). You have to differentiate your brands for the US market. In other parts of the world the trust gained in the mass market gives the luxury product an aura of comfort and reliability.

am55

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My point being here to look past the badge and into what the serial number implies in terms of manufacturing quality, standards, materials, etc. See the gradual disappearance of zaratsu from Seiko lineup. I also remember when the SKX007 was still around you could get one from Japan or from the Malaysia or Thailand factory "supervised by the Japanese" and there might even have been a price difference for this of perhaps 10-20% (maybe it was just a retailer thing).

NakedYoga

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I also remember when the SKX007 was still around you could get one from Japan or from the Malaysia or Thailand factory "supervised by the Japanese" and there might even have been a price difference for this of perhaps 10-20% (maybe it was just a retailer thing).
I think you're right about that. If I recall correctly, there was a "J" in the serial number or model number that indicated this. I still have an SKX007 (though US-purchased) I bought during law school some 13-15 years ago.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads