• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

venessian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What’s the difference between a Nato and Zulu strap?
ZULU straps (3-ring) have 1 single nylon strap, which threads above the spring bars (between the spring bars and the case back). These are the simplest, thinnest configuration, but the least secure.

NATO straps have a 2nd (attached, but shorter) strap piece; this 2nd piece threads below the spring bars, and so offers much more security.

ZULU straps (5-ring) are configured just like NATO straps, but are typically made of a slightly thicker nylon. Sometimes NATO and ZULU hardware differ slightly in terms of shape, etc.

Then there are 2-piece NATO/ZULUs, which are like any other standard 2-piece leather, etc., strap, and offer none of the original NATO/ZULU security.

Genericuser1

Reaction score
Looks like what I have is a 5-ring Zulu then, I just thought it might have been a better quality NATO as the other Nato’s I’ve gotten with watches have been very thin.

venessian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Exactly. If your strap is slightly thicker than a typical NATO, you probably have a 5-ring ZULU.

Of course the specific strap quality/longevity, whether N or Z, definitely depends on the producer. There are so many NATO/ZULUs on the market now, I can't keep up anymore.

You picked a nice color; it complements your watch well.

Genericuser1

Reaction score

venessian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^.
Nice.
Lizard is a smaller scale that seems somewhat underused, but really works well on smaller watches, and blue + gold are a nice combination.

Here is a black Di-Modell Teju Lizard on my 1958 Omega Seamaster (35mm).

(Also "inherited" in that my father bought it for me when I was born, and gave it to me upon my Confirmation.)

Last edited:

Lumaca

Reaction score
Pretty excited about a new incoming! Dare I say almost as mint as Roger's pieces!

Hint: Sunburst grey dial with rectangular markers!

Michigan Planner

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^^^ If it's a 62MAS I will fall off my chair.
I don't know that you can find those in the "poor man's" price range, but if that's what it is, I want to see it posted up here too!

Speaking of non-poor man's watches, I've got a very subtle quartz Citizen on it's way to me from Japan. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that it will be here before the end of the week as I haven't been this excited for an incoming watch in quite a while.

Lumaca

Reaction score
I might have been hinting towards a certain famous dive watch, but rest assured that the budget ceiling (and Roger's bottom) is safe!

The thiccc crystal could use a little cleaning, but the case and dial on this one is absolutely superb!

20190627_002541.jpg20190626_224828.jpg

Featured Sponsor

What's your favorite type of loafer?

• Tassel loafers

• Penny loafers

• Horsebit loafers

• Kiltie loafers

• I hate loafers

Results are only viewable after voting.