1. Hi, I'm the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.

Poor man's watch thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by SirGrotius, Feb 4, 2011.

1. mimo

mimo Pernicious Enabler

Anniversary present from the Mrs. Always thought this was gorgeous and I'm delighted with it in person. After market bracelet is neat too. Thanks for the enabling on this one, Jazz

Top tip: make a Pinterest board of stuff you actually want, with links to the best price vendor, and separated into price categories. Works well to avoid awkward smiling and disappointment on those special occasions!

DSC_0122.JPG

2. Jazzmenco

Jazzmenco Distinguished Member

Darn you Mr. Cal...now you have me lusting over this guy. Cheapest I have found is $1200....must stay strong...:decisions:

JUNGHANS.JPG

3. UNOAIMX

UNOAIMX Senior Member

I thought should start here, I've caught the bug, mechanical movements have mesmerized me: does anyone here service their own watches as a hobby, or have their own watch regulator, there seems to be a lot of manuals, videos, online guides, ETA documentation for some of the major movements, ETA 2824, 2892, 7750... recognize there is a significant cost to buying tools, and equipment. Spare parts and broken watches with ETA movements seem to abound on ebay, must be lots of people pursuing this hobby.

I recently bought a 'broken' longines master collection L619.2 date on ebay for 10 bucks, want to replace the movement myself with another thrifted eta2892a2 movement from ebay, would this be a good place to start project.

Am I getting way ahead of myself, heard the 2892a2 movement is more complicated, I never done much watch work so far, only tinkered and replaced batteries on quartz watches (easy), re-sized bracelets / change bands (easy).

Does anyone have any links to good guides on what tools to buy, types of lubricants, project watches, I heard the 2824 might be a better place to start learning from, so want to ask before I thrift some Chinese ETA clones and start tinkering. How long its going to take to become proficient enough to say, service a more complex ETA7750 chronograph movement with ease (costs ~500 bucks).
    I don't even know how significant of an undertaking this would be, seeing as there are no 'college' /trade school programs for watch repair.

Outside ebay, Is there any other good places to thrift Chinese ETA clones to practice disassembly/re-assembly on, I'll try taobao when I get home.

4. Jazzmenco

5. Churchill W

Churchill W Distinguished Member

There are schools for watch repair, but not sure where in Canada, if any. I know in the U.S. there is the Rolex (?) one in NY, another in Florida, and somewhere in the midwest.

The Horological Society of New York also has classes for hobbyists. http://hs-ny.org/education

They have been traveling to different cities, but not sure if they have been to Canada yet.

In the intro course you get to disassemble and re-assemble a Unitas 6497. It was a little tough getting it back together even though it is a pretty big movement. I assume it would be even tougher with a smaller movement.

6. ErikW

ErikW Senior Member

What is the model? Where did you find it?

7. Riva

Riva Distinguished Member

I'll guess ahead, a Japan site.

8. Riva

9. RogerP

RogerP Distinguished Member

10. CanadaCal

CanadaCal Distinguished Member

No idea where you are. But Wilk Watchworks is in Toronto. I spoke to him for a few mins last week. He makes custom watches with either Swiss or Chinese movements.
    If you are really interested and local he could perhaps provide you with some info.
    Nice guy.

11. UNOAIMX

UNOAIMX Senior Member

Thanks CanadaCal, I will give him a shout when I get stuck, I like to tinker and tackle things on my own first, theres quite a few detailed watchthroughs on youtube by watchrepairchannel, the problem is I need to practice some Zen to get those steady hands, haha
    I noticed when the hand is in motion even if slightly, it is actually more steady than me trying to "keep it steady/ still", interesting...

12. Jazzmenco

13. Riva

Probably the best sub $100 watch there is.

Orient Mako.JPG

14. Medwed

Medwed Distinguished Member

Boston-NYC-Helsinki-Pietari-Budapest-Antwerp-Basel
    My cheap Titanium Seiko arrived and was put on the proper strap.

20181109_145930_HDR_resized.jpg

15. ShawnBC

ShawnBC Distinguished Member