• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Pocket Squares

cjmorris21

Reaction score
Well I have slowly but surely been adding to my suit collection and buying some nice shirts and ties. I am at my first job and I have gone very conservative and inexpensive due to my age and position. I would like to add some affordable pocket squares to my wardrobe. I would like to buy a bunch of them so how should I go about doing this? Similar or contrasting colors to my shirts and ties? What brand should I go for.

Sorry for the vague question.

dinted voice

Reaction score
I would recommend not matching them exactly to your tie. I personally don't like that look. A white one folded square would be good for everyday wear and I often wear with most shirts; however, I have become bored and want to get a little more experimental with the square. Target had 6 white ones for about $5. Not the best quality, but not a bad place to start.

I like to look at GQ for ideas. This months magazine had a good one on breaking the style rules. The guys has a green one with skulls that I love!

The_Foxx

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

thinman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This is my go-to pocket square, when I have nothing else to coordinate with my outfit or when I want something a little more interesting than white linen:

http://www.kentwang.com/product_info...&products_id=9

The white color makes it appear formal from a distance, but the texture introduces a bit of whimsy.

You can never go wrong with white linen so they're a good place to start, but they're not very interesting either.

Slim Portly

Reaction score

The_Foxx

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
yeah, $79 for a set of three. Is that a bad deal?

JLibourel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
For solid-colored silken squares I found Men's Wearhouse not a bad resource, believe it or not. (I might mention that these have been the only items I have ever bought from MW, lest I be banned from this forum for advocating the much-despised MW.) Their price when I bought them a few years ago was $6.99. I could see no difference between theirs and similar squares from Macy*s at $10. My local Off-5th has suddenly had a good inventory of squares. Previously they never carried any squares worthy of note. These days I have such a sufficiency of squares that I would be strongly disinclined to pay more than $25 for a square.

Slim Portly

Reaction score
Originally Posted by The_Foxx
yeah, $79 for a set of three. Is that a bad deal?
For a set of three pocket squares with hand-rolled edges that normally retail for twice as much? No.

For the OP who said that he's looking for a large selection of inexpensive pocket squares and probably won't want three somewhat plain looking cotton hankies? Yes, more than likely.

playdohh22

Reaction score
Originally Posted by playdohh22
www.kentwang.com/catalog for pocket squares.

I wanted to add, now you also get to choose from pocket circles.
smile.gif

vitaminc

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Anyone tried Hermes pocket squares?

What's the typical way to color coordinate pocket squares?

Ataturk

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
If the square matches anything, it should be your shirt. It compliments like any other piece of clothing or accessory.

The closest I'll come to wearing a pocket square that matches a tie is a patterned (.e.g, polka dot) square with the same background color as the (solid) tie.

vitaminc

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Ataturk
If the square matches anything, it should be your shirt. It compliments like any other piece of clothing or accessory.

The closest I'll come to wearing a pocket square that matches a tie is a patterned (.e.g, polka dot) square with the same background color as the (solid) tie.

But those Hermes pocket squares are designed with prints instead of boring patterns.

http://usa.hermes.com/webapp/wcs/sto...36359&nbItem=0

http://www.luxury-scarves.com/en/1_s...mit=%3E+search

AlanC

Minister of Trad
Reaction score
Try the outlets if there are any in your area. And, as stated above, Wang and Hober are excellent sources.

If you want variety for cheap, though, go to TJ Maxx/Marshalls and look for the boxed handkerchiefs (Nautica, etc.). There will be some in patterns, usually blues. Get one of the three packs and fold them in a TV fold so that the edges are not visible. Instant and cheap versatility.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads