Pleats with plain bottoms

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by acez29, Sep 1, 2007.

1. acez29

acez29 New Member

Hi all, first time posting on the forum.

About to order 3 suits, was planning on ordering the flat fronts with plain bottoms (no cuffs), but my leg and butt muscles are too big and need to get pleats to make the pants fit decently.

Now that I'm locked in on pleats, would plain bottoms look ok?

2. texas_jack

texas_jack Senior member

Generally no, but you can do what you want.

3. appolyon

appolyon Senior member

4. Roikins

Roikins Senior member

About to order 3 suits, was planning on ordering the flat fronts with plain bottoms (no cuffs), but my leg and butt muscles are too big and need to get pleats to make the pants fit decently.

I'm not an expert, but supposedly if you have flat fronts, you do not get cuffs. However, if you have pleats, you should get cuffs. With that said, the apparent exception, or at least suggested exception, is that you do not cuff plated pants if you are on the shorter side. How the "shorter side" is defined is not clear to me, but maybe 5'6" and shorter?

5. stickonatree

stickonatree Senior member

if you are going to something more formal, then the rules of no cuff with flat fronts, pleats with cuffs, will apply. if it's a more casual outing, i'd say screw it, do whatever the hell you want

6. Will

Will Senior member Dubiously Honored

With single breasteds, OK. Always cuff DBs.

7. Sator

Sator Senior member

Personally, I think plain bottoms look just fine with DBs as in this example from 1906:

[​IMG]

Admittedly, this pre-dates pleated trousers. Nonetheless, this is how I have my plain front brace trousers made.

One more practical issue is that cuffs/turn-ups add weight to the hems when the fabric is lightweight (<12 Oz). Plain bottoms work better with heavier fabrics, which remain neat and tidy without the extra help from the added fold of fabric.

8. HomerJ

HomerJ Senior member

I'm thinking about the same thing, no cuffs on double reverse pleated pants.
    I'm 5'9&quot; and thinking this make the legs appear longer..?

9. Sator

Sator Senior member

I think one should be wary of the ubiquitously parrotted advice about cuffs making the leg look shorter etc. The reason is that the fabrics being used today for trousers are much lighter than they used to be. In order to preserve a cleaner drop of the hems (to keep the front seam clean and straight) a lighter fabric needs the extra weight of cuffs. A shorter person can always compensate by making the cuff proportionately narrower.

10. HomerJ

HomerJ Senior member

Yes, this pants fabric is quite light. I'll take that into consideration.

11. a-rock

a-rock Senior member

personally i think no cuffs on pleated trousers works fine so long as they are single reverse pleats.

12. s4usea

s4usea Well-Known Member

"Parroting?"

Cuffs cut 3" off of your height, ask someone who's objective or almost any woman. If you can afford it go for it, but I'm 6' and it's noticable on me, especially if the legs have a taper to them.

To the OP, buy what you look best in and screw rules. If you decide on flat fronts get them big enough to fit you and find a good tailor.

13. jeff in vancouver

jeff in vancouver Well-Known Member

also screw the height rule, and look at the lenght of your leg. I am 6' tall with a 31&quot; leg (ie short legs for my height) no cuffs works well for me in some pants with pleats