• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Please recommend a maker of hight-end party dress shirt

phxlawstudent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by bmf895
Thanks for the info. I might check out Moda Domani when they get settled into their new location in Overland Park, KS. Do you hang dry your modertailor shirts or put them in the dryer? I haven't noticed any bubbling with my hung-dried moderntailor shirts, but perhaps I should be careful with the iron.

low tumble. Also, it was the stiff collar choice.

Essentio

Reaction score
Originally Posted by gumercindo
Hipolito Pena guayaberas - the best and they are for "nighttime" as well. Very pricy, though ($200-250) and hard to find.

Thanks! Is there any online source for Hippolito guayaberas?

Essentio

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Master-Classter
I'd suggest guys like Etro, maybe Paul Smith, Richard James (or am I thinking of Robert Graham?)... these guys tend to be decent shirt makers and have fun with patterns and colors.

Thanks!

Alfa

Reaction score
I'd suggest guys like Etro, maybe Paul Smith, Richard James (or am I thinking of Robert Graham?)... these guys tend to be decent shirt makers and have fun with patterns and colors.
I would add Liberty of London to that list as well.

Master-Classter

Distinguished Member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Duchamp, if you can find them

Osprey Guy

Reaction score
I've always loved to wear fun, sport shirts. And for the past 25 years I've amassed a huge collection of what most would consider as "party" shirts. Some of the very best have already been mentioned... Etro- Among the all-time kings of "party shirts"...Etro was doing contrast patterns with patterns twenty years ago. At the time it was considered quite edgy. Now that sort of fun, sport shirt treatment has become the standard. Expensive but worth it. Price point averages $250 - $450+. Note- If I was forced to pick from just one line of shirts...after all these years (and my sizeable Versace shirt collection notwithstanding), my choice would still have to be for Etro. Overall, they're still the best... IMHO. Robert Graham- Think Etro, but a bit funkier...with more unusual, woven treatments/details. Over the past few years they have seemingly come out of nowhere and almost single-handed put the fun back into mens sport shirts. They are also a pricey line ($198 - $348+), but in spite of the price they've become one of the top selling sport shirt makers in the country. Sold at Neiman's, Saks, Nordstrom, etc...and many of the smaller, independently owned, "better" mens stores have come to rely heavily on the $$$ generated by sales of their Robert Graham shirts. Each shirt design is given its own name and name tag...and each is produced in limited quantities. And with its big fan base, the company encourages their customers to collect the shirts. Paul Smith- Another of the "pioneers"...Paul Smith has long been known for his whimsical take on fashion. And this is certainly been evident in his shirts. Typically heavy on floral patterns... with interesting accents/treatments. Prices usually start around $200 but the-top-of-the-line can run as high as $700 and up! (Last summer I saw an especially extraordinary Paul Smith shirt at Neiman Marcus Last Call... Incredible, hand-woven, floral pattern in contrasting colors, running down the front of the shirt. It came in two colors, either a dark green or an off-white/eggshell. As I recall the original price was close to $800. Last Call price was around $400. If it hadn't been so fitted I probably would have pulled the trigger for a green one). Duchamp- Known for the fantastic use of color, Duchamp shirts are best described as "stunning"...and pricey (average $175- $350). Beautiful shirts but lately I've seen surprisingly similar for a lot less...Particularly from Bugatchi (see below). Ted Baker- Fun line. In many ways reminiscent of Paul Smith...but not quite as expensive. You really can't talk about "party" shirts without at least a mention of Ted Baker. Bugatchi- Nowhere near as pricey, when it comes to fun sport shirts Bugatchi is one of the best "bangs for the buck." They use lots of exciting fabrics and will often add some fun woven treatments. Nicely made for the price point $100-145 they are far superior in quality to others in that price range, such as the crap from 7-Diamonds, Monarch, and the like. You can always find at least a few Bugatchi's at the Nordstrom Rack for around $40. Jhane Barnes- An expert in fabric design, she's been applying her talents (and proprietary fabrics) to making fun shirts for decades. Most of her patterns are geometric and can be quite colorful...and can get quite wild. For a number of years I thought her shirts had become kinda boring...but she's bounced back in a big way and once again is on my A-list. Entry-level starts at around $125...and they're not bad (so-so). But at the high end ($225 - $400) the shirts can be really spectacular and innovative! You can usually find some of these at Neiman's Last Call for under $150. All the major designers (Versace, Gucci, Dolce Gabbana, Armani, etc, etc) put out fantastic shirts. But unfortunately they all also put out a lot of very silly stuff as well (aka "some really stupid-looking ****"). You can defintely find winners in any collection...but you need to tread very carefully when shopping these lines. There are so many other great shirt manufacturers... But these will certainly get you off to a good start! Have fun!!! Dennis

Essentio

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Osprey Guy
I've always loved to wear fun, sport shirts. And for the past 25 years I've amassed a huge collection of what most would consider as "party" shirts. Some of the very best have already been mentioned...

Etro- Among the all-time kings of "party shirts"...Etro was doing contrast patterns with patterns twenty years ago. At the time it was considered quite edgy. Now that sort of fun, sport shirt treatment has become the standard. Expensive but worth it. Price point averages $250 - $450+.

Note- If I was forced to pick from just one line of shirts...after all these years (and my sizeable Versace shirt collection notwithstanding), my choice would still have to be for Etro. Overall, they're still the best... IMHO.

Robert Graham- Think Etro, but a bit funkier...with more unusual, woven treatments/details. Over the past few years they have seemingly come out of nowhere and almost single-handed put the fun back into mens sport shirts. They are also a pricey line ($198 - $348+), but in spite of the price they've become one of the top selling sport shirt makers in the country. Sold at Neiman's, Saks, Nordstrom, etc...and many of the smaller, independently owned, "better" mens stores have come to rely heavily on the $$$ generated by sales of their Robert Graham shirts. Each shirt design is given its own name and name tag...and each is produced in limited quantities. And with its big fan base, the company encourages their customers to collect the shirts.

Paul Smith- Another of the "pioneers"...Paul Smith has long been known for his whimsical take on fashion. And this is certainly been evident in his shirts. Typically heavy on floral patterns... with interesting accents/treatments. Prices usually start around $200 but the-top-of-the-line can run as high as $700 and up! (Last summer I saw an especially extraordinary Paul Smith shirt at Neiman Marcus Last Call... Incredible, hand-woven, floral pattern in contrasting colors, running down the front of the shirt. It came in two colors, either a dark green or an off-white/eggshell. As I recall the original price was close to $800. Last Call price was around $400. If it hadn't been so fitted I probably would have pulled the trigger for a green one).

Duchamp- Known for the fantastic use of color, Duchamp shirts are best described as "stunning"...and pricey (average $175- $350). Beautiful shirts but lately I've seen surprisingly similar for a lot less...Particularly from Bugatchi (see below).

Ted Baker- Fun line. In many ways reminiscent of Paul Smith...but not quite as expensive. You really can't talk about "party" shirts without at least a mention of Ted Baker.

Bugatchi- Nowhere near as pricey, when it comes to fun sport shirts Bugatchi is one of the best "bangs for the buck." They use lots of exciting fabrics and will often add some fun woven treatments. Nicely made for the price point $100-145 they are far superior in quality to others in that price range, such as the crap from 7-Diamonds, Monarch, and the like. You can always find at least a few Bugatchi's at the Nordstrom Rack for around $40.

Jhane Barnes- An expert in fabric design, she's been applying her talents (and proprietary fabrics) to making fun shirts for decades. Most of her patterns are geometric and can be quite colorful...and can get quite wild. For a number of years I thought her shirts had become kinda boring...but she's bounced back in a big way and once again is on my A-list. Entry-level starts at around $125...and they're not bad (so-so). But at the high end ($225 - $400) the shirts can be really spectacular and innovative! You can usually find some of these at Neiman's Last Call for under $150.

All the major designers (Versace, Gucci, Dolce Gabbana, Armani, etc, etc) put out fantastic shirts. But unfortunately they all also put out a lot of very silly stuff as well (aka "some really stupid-looking ****"). You can defintely find winners in any collection...but you need to tread very carefully when shopping these lines.

There are so many other great shirt manufacturers... But these will certainly get you off to a good start!

Have fun!!!

Dennis

Thank you so much for your very informative reply! I have a quick question regarding Duchamp shirts, when you refer to them as "stunning" did you mean the use of colors or also the quality of materials used?

Thanks again!

Essentio

Reaction score
Duchamp, if you can find them

Their color patterns are great. What's the quality of material on their Made in Italy higher-end line?

Essentio

Reaction score
Stylish or not?
smile.gif

http://s7v1.scene7.com/is/image/Harr...tail_zoom_new$

CMJTperry

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Osprey Guy
I've always loved to wear fun, sport shirts. And for the past 25 years I've amassed a huge collection of what most would consider as "party" shirts. Some of the very best have already been mentioned...

Etro- Among the all-time kings of "party shirts"...Etro was doing contrast patterns with patterns twenty years ago. At the time it was considered quite edgy. Now that sort of fun, sport shirt treatment has become the standard. Expensive but worth it. Price point averages $250 - $450+.

Note- If I was forced to pick from just one line of shirts...after all these years (and my sizeable Versace shirt collection notwithstanding), my choice would still have to be for Etro. Overall, they're still the best... IMHO.

Robert Graham- Think Etro, but a bit funkier...with more unusual, woven treatments/details. Over the past few years they have seemingly come out of nowhere and almost single-handed put the fun back into mens sport shirts. They are also a pricey line ($198 - $348+), but in spite of the price they've become one of the top selling sport shirt makers in the country. Sold at Neiman's, Saks, Nordstrom, etc...and many of the smaller, independently owned, "better" mens stores have come to rely heavily on the $$$ generated by sales of their Robert Graham shirts. Each shirt design is given its own name and name tag...and each is produced in limited quantities. And with its big fan base, the company encourages their customers to collect the shirts.

Paul Smith- Another of the "pioneers"...Paul Smith has long been known for his whimsical take on fashion. And this is certainly been evident in his shirts. Typically heavy on floral patterns... with interesting accents/treatments. Prices usually start around $200 but the-top-of-the-line can run as high as $700 and up! (Last summer I saw an especially extraordinary Paul Smith shirt at Neiman Marcus Last Call... Incredible, hand-woven, floral pattern in contrasting colors, running down the front of the shirt. It came in two colors, either a dark green or an off-white/eggshell. As I recall the original price was close to $800. Last Call price was around $400. If it hadn't been so fitted I probably would have pulled the trigger for a green one).

Duchamp- Known for the fantastic use of color, Duchamp shirts are best described as "stunning"...and pricey (average $175- $350). Beautiful shirts but lately I've seen surprisingly similar for a lot less...Particularly from Bugatchi (see below).

Ted Baker- Fun line. In many ways reminiscent of Paul Smith...but not quite as expensive. You really can't talk about "party" shirts without at least a mention of Ted Baker.

Bugatchi- Nowhere near as pricey, when it comes to fun sport shirts Bugatchi is one of the best "bangs for the buck." They use lots of exciting fabrics and will often add some fun woven treatments. Nicely made for the price point $100-145 they are far superior in quality to others in that price range, such as the crap from 7-Diamonds, Monarch, and the like. You can always find at least a few Bugatchi's at the Nordstrom Rack for around $40.

Jhane Barnes- An expert in fabric design, she's been applying her talents (and proprietary fabrics) to making fun shirts for decades. Most of her patterns are geometric and can be quite colorful...and can get quite wild. For a number of years I thought her shirts had become kinda boring...but she's bounced back in a big way and once again is on my A-list. Entry-level starts at around $125...and they're not bad (so-so). But at the high end ($225 - $400) the shirts can be really spectacular and innovative! You can usually find some of these at Neiman's Last Call for under $150.

All the major designers (Versace, Gucci, Dolce Gabbana, Armani, etc, etc) put out fantastic shirts. But unfortunately they all also put out a lot of very silly stuff as well (aka "some really stupid-looking ****"). You can defintely find winners in any collection...but you need to tread very carefully when shopping these lines.

There are so many other great shirt manufacturers... But these will certainly get you off to a good start!

Have fun!!!

Dennis

Dennis is on point!!!!!! Everything you need to know is in his response.
thumbs-up.gif
thumbs-up.gif

CMJTperry

Reaction score
One other thing, Duchamp shirts are beautiful, colors, designs and the cuff links are really nice as well. Have a couple pair and they are really nice.

Master-Classter

Distinguished Member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Essentio
Their color patterns are great. What's the quality of material on their Made in Italy higher-end line?
I've only seen them a few times and fitted them on here and there. I think their color use is a bit different because they tend to be BRIGHT, like lots of pinks, purples and low saturation, whereas PS, Etro, etc are patterned and colorful but fairly dark versions of the colors? not 100% sure, I've only seen their shirts a few times. Ties and cuff links I think are fairly popular. I can say taht I felt the quality was there and they felt "good", just right. well made, plus a fun pattern. I would think better then PS but couldn't really say for sure.

Duchamp
duchampSS10raw-012.jpg

(Love this) PS one
paul-smith-striped.jpg

Osprey Guy

Reaction score
You can see (and order) many shirts from the Duchamp line at Duchamp's website (many other designs are not sold online but rather sold exclusively in stores such as Nordstrom): Duchamp website Side note regarding Duchamp's socks: If you look around the site you'll come across their socks. Absolutely spectacular patterns and colors, the socks are clearly meant to be paired up with their shirts. Unfortunately, as good as they look ,when it comes to performance I found them to be terribly disappointing. When they first showed up at the local Nordstrom's it was love at first sight and I immediately bought 9 pairs, one pair in every flavor...at $35 bucks apiece! Although obviously not OTC's I made the mistake of assuming that they would pull up higher (like V.K. Nagrani socks). I quickly discovered that they don't fit much higher than ankle socks and they don't stay up very well (at least not for me). Even worse, they launder terribly! Using my method of gentle cycle- cold water and line drying they still ended up looking like they'd been through a war. Unacceptable performance at any price. I returned all 9 pairs for a full refund. Such a disappointment.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads