• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Pinstripe pants w/ polo shirt ok?

cuda

Reaction score
What's the general opinion on wearing pinstripe pants/slacks with a polo shirt? Fashionably ok or shouldn't be done?

Thanks!

teddieriley

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Looks fine. I don't think it's appropriate business attire, even if you're at a business casual office, but I don't see why you can't pull it off as long as your colors are not all out of whack or the pinstripe slacks have a weird striping to them. I know there are some here that don't like wearing odd pinstripe pants without the suit jacket, but if wearing this ensemble is consistent with how you dress otherwise, I don't see why it can't work. But I suppose my caveat is, it would be hard to pull off.

cuda

Reaction score
Ok, just to add, these pants wouldn't be part of a suit.

I guess an additional quesiton would be, are pinstripe pants ok to wear with a striped casual button-up long sleeve shirt, or would that look odd also? I know i've seen pinstripe suit with a striped dress shirt before, but without the jacket top it might look odd.

teddieriley

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've done it. It doesn't look bad. How is it any different if you wore a pinstripe suit with a dress shirt and chose to remove the jacket for most of the day while you're sitting in your office and you get up to use the restroom or take a break without putting the jacket on...you mean to tell me you look like a sartorial disaster during that time? Taking the discussion out of the office, really, who's going to say it looks like crap? Really. Looks fine. Some of these guys are overly critical about everything. If you're walking down the streets of New York and chose to wear what you proposed, bottom line is no one is going to comment that you f'd up...

Cantabrigian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Wool pants and polo shirts don't mix. (The exception being a polo neck sweater and flannels.)

Pinstriped pants with a polo are an even worse idea.

slycedbred

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Cantabrigian
Wool pants and polo shirts don't mix

wtf?

kronik

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Linen pinstriped pants and a polo would look fine together.

robin

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by kronik
Linen pinstriped pants and a polo would look fine together.
I need to see a good example. I just can't imagine them ever mixing well.

Cantabrigian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by slycedbred
wtf?
For me, nothing says 'I put no thought into business casual' quite like some pleated wool pants and a cheap cotton polo.

cuda

Reaction score
For the pants they wouldn't be wool pleated suit type pants, more the cotton or poly casual flat front pants. The polo just a solid colored polo. Like these:

teddieriley

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Cantabrigian
For me, nothing says 'I put no thought into business casual' quite like some pleated wool pants and a cheap cotton polo.

The OP didn't mention anything about "business casual." He asked if it's fashionably okay. I don't see why not if it's executed properly.

As a general matter, perhaps certain individual's inability to pull off certain looks should not lead them to give definitive answers about whether something is not acceptable.

And according to Cuda's pics above, I don't see why it wouldn't work. Really.

Edward Appleby

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've never seen odd pinstripes work, honestly.

Cantabrigian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If someone can properly execute (i.e. not make look as bad as it always does) a mix between the most casual type of collared shirt there is and dressy-ish pants, I'm happy to eat my words.

There are a lot of looks I can't pull off that I admire - e.g. just about anything that Get Smart wears. And I'm all about mixing elements.

But this is one 'look' that I can't warm up to. A polo shirt is just too sloppy and casual (which are good qualities when paired with khakis or jeans) to go with wool pants, especially pinstriped suit pants.

There are reasons for wearing that combo - not wanting to bother to get cotton pants, for example. And while I can understand those reasons, I don't think it makes this pairing look any better.

If you can pull this oen off, by all means, post a photo. And if you somehow think this looks good, rock on with your bad self.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads