Pink shirt, brown pants...what color tie?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by identity-x, May 10, 2009.

1. identity-x

identity-x Senior member

*edit*

I've settled on a blue shirt, chocolate pants and a khaki or (to the chagrin of some in this thread) tan jacket. both are being brought in as we speak, so we'll have to see.

thanks all

*end edit*

Hello all. New member here. An introduction: I am fairly poor, terribly style-ignorant and (most challenging) am color-blind. I've never owned a suit and only recently have begun purchasing a few blazers and suit jackets at some local consignment shops. Plus I live in small city in the Midwest USA. There...that about covers it. [​IMG]

Anyhow, I'm attending a wedding in a few weeks and as usual am at a loss about what to wear.

I was thinking about wearing a tan jacket, a pair of dark chocolate pants and a VERY light/faint/pastel pink (being color-blind it look almost off-white to me).

jacket is about this color...
    [​IMG]

pants are, uh...dark chocolate.

shirt is this color (i think)...
    [​IMG]

what to do? Any tie color or color combination that would work with this? Should I nix the pink?

2. sl33p3rs

sl33p3rs Well-Known Member

If you could change the pants to match your blazer that would work better.

I suggest get a gray colored tie to match your pastel pink shirt.[​IMG][​IMG]

3. bowtielover

bowtielover Senior member

Brown pants and a tan jacket is not going to match you want to stay away from the same hues. also brwon and pink do not go so well together. Try finding pants to match the jacket or close to it. the shirt should match the tan. as far as a tie goes you gould do a darker pink with some blue, green or some other lighter color pattern in it.

4. identity-x

identity-x Senior member

Brown pants and a tan jacket is not going to match you want to stay away from the same hues. also brwon and pink do not go so well together. Try finding pants to match the jacket or close to it. the shirt should match the tan. as far as a tie goes you gould do a darker pink with some blue, green or some other lighter color pattern in it.

what if I go with a lighter khaki jacket? could I then wear it with the chocolate pants? pink shirt is still out? if so THEN what color tie?

i have a light blue shirt I could fall back on...i just really wanted to make the pink work. [​IMG]

ps...my wife informs me that the shirt I posted does not look pink at all. i posted it based on a google search for "light pink shirt". THIS is the shit I have to deal with bein color-blind!

thanks all...

5. Sylvr

Sylvr Well-Known Member

i like browns with light pastel greens, pinks, and yellows. keep the tie darker than the shirt.

6. Sanguis Mortuum

Sanguis Mortuum Senior member

also brwon and pink do not go so well together..
    Rubbish, brown and light pink go fine together.

7. unjung

unjung Senior member

What colour is your skin? Brown is a difficult colour to make work for many people. If you are colour-blind and want to be safe, I suggest purchasing a navy suit with the assistance of someone who can assure you it is in fact navy, along with a few white shirts, and a couple basic ties in blue or red. This way you won't need to struggle with this.

I have to say that while brown and pink may work, the idea of chocolate pants, a tan jacket and a pink shirt makes me want to vomit. You could, however, wear a darker pink tie with the ensemble.

8. Cary Grant

Cary Grant Senior member

Seconding the notion of a pastel purple (lilac) or pale green against pink shirt with tan jacket.

9. fashion_newbie

fashion_newbie Senior member

What colour is your skin? Brown is a difficult colour to make work for many people.

Sorry to hijack thread but what skin colors does brown work well with?

10. identity-x

identity-x Senior member

Thanks to all. I think I've decided against the pink shirt and in favor of a lighter blue shirt. I appreciate your comments.

I'd like to know as well.

My skin is a light brown. Not too light and not too dark. I tan well, be rarely have the luxury of having a tan. One of my grandparents was full-blooded Mexican.

I'm not sure how much pink (if any) is in my skin since I don't see pink. [​IMG]

11. sho'nuff

sho'nuff grrrrrrrr!!

you will find out soon enough that skin color can go with anything as long as you are wearing well-matched colors in your ensemble.

12. Cas Ruffin

Cas Ruffin Senior member

This sounds like a really bad idea to me. Please don't wear tan + dark brown.

13. Master-Classter

Master-Classter Senior member

Color blind, eh? Are you sure it's a pink shirt? [​IMG]

I agree:
    i like browns with light pastel greens, pinks, and yellows. keep the tie darker than the shirt.

Even a darker brown, or maybe charcoal/black. I've done grey pants, pink shirt, brown shoes and belt, so in theory you could do pink shirt, brown pants and jacket, and something in the grey family, maybe like
    [​IMG]

14. unjung

unjung Senior member

Thanks to all. I think I've decided against the pink shirt and in favor of a lighter blue shirt. I appreciate your comments. I'd like to know as well. My skin is a light brown. Not too light and not too dark. I tan well, be rarely have the luxury of having a tan. One of my grandparents was full-blooded Mexican. I'm not sure how much pink (if any) is in my skin since I don't see pink. [​IMG]
    I suspect warmer colours and earth tones will work best for you across the board. Blues might be alright but I would not default to them. I would recommend a tan suit if you want summer colours. You will look like a clown in a tan jacket and brown pants.

15. FIHTies

FIHTies Senior member Affiliate Vendor

Ditch the pink shirt and use a light blue one which I am sure you have.

The tan/Brown and Blue work very well together.

Use a light Blue pocket square (if you wear squares).

Viola! (i used a jacket that I had which was closest to the tan I could do. Ignore the orange and yellow check it works fine without it.) Also I can suggest 30 ties off hand that would work with this combo. Its versatile.

[​IMG][​IMG]