• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Picking out new shoes.

Mess

Reaction score
(If this is in the wrong place then feel free to move it)

I am looking to purchase my first pair of quality shoes and would like a bit of guidance!
I currently work in Gieves and Hawkes so I can get 50% off any Harry's of London shoe or 60% off the new Gieves range made my Poulsen & Skone. However, this basically amounts to around the same price as a pair of Grensons in the Rose collection.

So in short, what would be the best to go for in terms of quality, durability and comfort?

I am also unsure what colour to go and what style. I am probably aiming more towards a full brogue in either Oxblood or black.

Any other questions feel free to ask!

Mess

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Mac
By formal do you mean black tie formal? Or just standard dress shoes?

Just standard dress shoe.

I got given a pair of patent leather Cheanys for free for my black tie events.

Mess

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Mac
I see. Well I'm not familiar with those brands so I'll leave that to others. Just make sure the shoes fit and don't buy anything too hastily before you know exactly what you're after.

The price post-discount would come to around £200-£250. So is there any brands you would recommend at that price and why?

Galix

Reaction score
You can find some nice shoes for that amount either during sales time or buying them seconds. I saw some Church's for that money. Also AE should cost that. Maybe, if you're lucky, you can find other nice options from other brands like Carmina, C&J, Alden...

But... Maybe what you have been offered is a very good deal (never heard of the brand though)

E TF

Reaction score
A quick search of this forum reveals that Poulsen & Skone are not a manufacturer themselves, but are made either by C&J or possibly Edward Green (I'd guess C&J by the price). You could ask whoever is in charge of shoes at G&H - as you're an employee I'm sure they won't mind telling you (if you do, tell us what they say!). £200-250 is a pretty good price for either, so I'd go for that. I'm not a fan of Harry's of London myself (don't like the funny rubber soles).

E TF

Reaction score
In fact, now I think about it, that's an amazing price for a pair of C&J or Edward Greens, considering you'll have your pick from the whole non-sale range, and they won't be seconds. You must buy the Poulsen & Skone. I'd ask you to proxy a pair for me too, though that might get you fired!

Mess

Reaction score
Originally Posted by E,TF
A quick search of this forum reveals that Poulsen & Skone are not a manufacturer themselves, but are made either by C&J or possibly Edward Green (I'd guess C&J by the price). You could ask whoever is in charge of shoes at G&H - as you're an employee I'm sure they won't mind telling you (if you do, tell us what they say!). £200-250 is a pretty good price for either, so I'd go for that. I'm not a fan of Harry's of London myself (don't like the funny rubber soles).

I shall ask them and see what they say! The shoes are incredible to look at tbh and are so far above Cheany on comfort it is unreal.
However, I am incredibly dissapointed in their patent leather shoes. They are blocky and ugly.

For my first formal dress shoe designed to be worn with a myriad of suits what style and colour would you (and others) recommend?
I do like a full brogue in tan but as I wear navy and charcoal a lot it would cheapen the suit slightly. However, black is a bit ... *shrug*
We don't hae any P&S in oxblood in our store either so I can't check those out.

Mess

Reaction score
Originally Posted by E,TF

http://the-shoe-snob.blogspot.com/20...ollection.html

They appear to be Grenson Masterpiece.

ajmanouk

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Mess
I shall ask them and see what they say! The shoes are incredible to look at tbh and are so far above Cheany on comfort it is unreal.
However, I am incredibly dissapointed in their patent leather shoes. They are blocky and ugly.

For my first formal dress shoe designed to be worn with a myriad of suits what style and colour would you (and others) recommend?
I do like a full brogue in tan but as I wear navy and charcoal a lot it would cheapen the suit slightly. However, black is a bit ... *shrug*
We don't hae any P&S in oxblood in our store either so I can't check those out.

First dress shoe = black plain captoe oxford. Boring but a staple.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 95 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 12.1%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads