• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • Last Day to save 20% sitewide at Kirby Allison's annual Father's Day Sale! !

Kirby Allison is one of Styleforum's original success stories, beginning long ago with Kirby;s Hanger Project. Every year, Kirby holds a Father's Day Sale featuring some of the best accessories and shoe care products in the world. Take this opportunity to get something for your father, grandfather, or yourself, at a rare 20% discount (discount taken automatically at the checkout). See if you find that perfect hanger, shoe cream, or watch case here

Enjoy

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Pick a new phone for me, my Moto Q is dead

Tokyo Slim

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by edmorel
iphone is the answer, regardless of the question. the fact that there are so many iphone h8r's tells you all you need to know (does anyone care at all to work up any energy to hate the G1 or the other garbage out there?)

yes.

That being said, the iPhone is stupid.

neeZy

Reaction score
Depends on how big your fingers are - my hands are kind of big and I am hating my touch-screen phone. If I could do it again, I would opt for real buttons.

Shikar

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by edmorel
iphone is the answer, regardless of the question. the fact that there are so many iphone h8r's tells you all you need to know (does anyone care at all to work up any energy to hate the G1 or the other garbage out there?)

A little surprized at your response..... considering I thought you would understand the power of marketing. Well, I have had the iphone, the Palms, various HTCs etc....I am google based so I seem to veer more to the android based phone. Now if the iphone had a hard keyboard....I may change my mind. Lots of good choices...very little garbage IMO.

Regards.

Tokyo Slim

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Shikar
A little surprized at your response..... considering I thought you would understand the power of marketing. Well, I have had the iphone, the Palms, various HTCs etc....I am google based so I seem to veer more to the android based phone. Now if the iphone had a hard keyboard....I may change my mind. Lots of good choices...very little garbage IMO.

Regards.

People who drink the kool-aid are usually not rational in their responses. I drink the anti-kool-aid instead.

Rambo

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Tokyo Slim
People who drink the kool-aid are usually not rational in their responses. I drink the anti-kool-aid instead.
Does this come in lemon-lime? Who has good service in your area? An iPhone won't be worth **** if AT&Crap has ****** reception in the area. Also, what features do you need in a phone?

Tokyo Slim

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Rambo
Does this come in lemon-lime?

Who has good service in your area? An iPhone won't be worth **** if AT&Crap has ****** reception in the area. Also, what features do you need in a phone?

I am pretty happy with AT&T's service here. But I've never had anything else for the past 11 years, so I don't have much to compare it with.

j

(stands for Jerk)
Admin
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Oh yeah, and I'm assuming any of the new crop of phones will be able to act as an mp3 player right? And do any of them have notably decent cameras? The Q's camera was awful.

JoeWoah

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by j
My Motorola Q started blinking the Verizon logo and now when I try to reflash it, it won't take the flash. It's pretty beat anyway so I'm assuming it is done for. Luckily I saved my pim.vol when I upgraded it in March so I have most of my contacts kinda-backed up (although it's gonna be a pain to transfer them). Anyway, I'll need to get a new phone and I don't follow the phone/gadget world at all. I mostly use it for phone and text functions but I'd love to have one I can use for email/forum and tether to my laptop. I like the form factor of this one but I do like the touch screens on a lot of the new ones. The iPhone seems okay but is missing some stuff that I like to have, and seems too locked down for my taste. I'm okay with Palm or Windows Mobile and don't plan to use it too much like a computer, but there's no sense in getting something too limited either. Anyone have suggestions for me? I am not against switching providers either, no particular loyalty to Verizon and if I get an internet plan I'll probably be paying more than I want to. Thanks.
BlackBerry Tour drops July 12th on Verizon. I would go that route if I were you. I think you'll find that a BlackBerry will meet your needs perfectly. Internet is an extra $30 per month to any plan. It's unlimited though and includes in-texting/500 out-of-network texts. If you want to save cash on the plan, Sprint will have the Tour and they also have the stellar Palm Pre. Their everything plan is $99 and that includes Internet and unlimited minutes/texting. They all tether, though I know Verizon charges $15 extra per month for the privlege. I don't know what Sprint charges. The thing with BlackBerries though, you can just hack the XML file on it and tether for free on Verizon.
Originally Posted by j
Oh yeah, and I'm assuming any of the new crop of phones will be able to act as an mp3 player right? And do any of them have notably decent cameras? The Q's camera was awful.
Yes, they all do MP3. BlackBerries, outside of the Storm/Storm II (coming in a month) don't have a ton of free on-board memory to store music. Some, but not a lot. However, you can add a Micro SD card... I picked up an 8GB card for $18 like a year ago! Now they're up to 16GB, maybe more. The Palm isn't expandable, but has 8GB of memory and syncs with iTunes perfectly, if that's important to you. The Camera in the Tour and the Pre is a 3.2MP. I hear the the Pre has really fast shutter speeds too, but the color isn't consistent. That sounds like a software issue though. The Pre also doesn't do video yet either. The thing is, if you have unlimited data and a fast network, you can listen to Pandora or any streaming radio feed you want on just about any device. One thing that BlackBerry does have that the others don't is Slacker Radio. In addition to being able to listen to their streaming radio stations, you can plug it into your computer and it will download music that it things you might like to your BlackBerry and you can listen to it anywhere and skip as you like. It's a great way to find new music! One other thing to keep in mind is Adobe Flash. Palm, Google (Android phones suck), BlackBerry and WinMo 7 (not the current version) are set to get flash very soon. Apple is not! But, overall, it's all about the network!
To give you the high concept, Consumer Reports says: Verizon Wireless is "among the better carriers this year and in our earlier surveys." T-Mobile was described as "another solid performer that often offers more for your money." Alltel Wireless (now Verizon) is "One of the better providers in the three metro areas for which we had adequate survey data." AT&T fell behind, called "Home of iPhone, but trails the better carriers in almost all respects." Sprint was last place, receiving the dubious honor of being in the "bottom ranks of carriers we rate."
http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/index.htm

j

(stands for Jerk)
Admin
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Hmm, the Tour looks really interesting with the GPS capabilities. Can any other phones do that easily? (i.e. give me turn by turn directions, I know most can map where you are now) I was thinking of buying a motorcycle GPS but if my phone could do it, it might handle that duty well enough.

oneeightyseven

Almost Special
Reaction score
J, look into the n97. 5MP camera with Carl Zeiss lenses, 32GB internal memory with available 16GB external memory. It's effing epic. Touchscreeen with tangible keypad. I'm telling you, don't sleep on this phone.

j

(stands for Jerk)
Admin
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by oneeightyseven
J, look into the n97. 5MP camera with Carl Zeiss lenses, 32GB internal memory with available 16GB external memory. It's effing epic. Touchscreeen with tangible keypad. I'm telling you, don't sleep on this phone.
Isn't it reeeally expensive? I don't really want to spend over a couple hundred if I can possibly avoid it. I will see if I can find one to play with though.

CDFS

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Partially in light of this thread I would recommend the Nokia E71. Performance seems nice as well. +Looks a lot like your Motorola Q -Looks a lot like your Motorola Q

Tokyo Slim

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
As far as GPS goes, most current gen phones are going to have it. My Moto Q has it, though its ten bucks a month, and I'd never use it, so I don't.

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nikki90