• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Phineas Cole Fall '11 Look Book.

edmorel

Quality Seller!!
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I'll be in the minority and probably catch flack but overall, that stuff is awful. Other than one sportcoat, one suit and the shirts, that stuff is unwearable. They are trying to oneup Ralph Lauren and his english gentry aesthetic but this is more Barnum and Bailey than Avengers.

Last edited:

Grammaton Cleric

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I'll be in the minority and probably catch flack but overall, that stuff is awful. Other than one sportcoat, one suit and the shirts, that stuff is unwearable. They are trying to oneup Ralph Lauren and his english gentry aesthetic but this is more Barnum and Bailey than Avengers.

+100

Superfluous

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I like that double breasted sport coat and the price isn't outrageous at retail compared to many other brands.

Yachting Man

Reaction score

patterns are outrageous but the cut seems so clean it seems photoshopped

Agreeing on the cuts seeming photoshoped. It's too perfect.

That was a very short look book. From what I saw though, I would only possibly purchase one suit. The rest are not even worth the wool they're cut from.

AlexE

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
OK, some of the outfits are overdone or too flashy and there is probably some photoshop or lots of safety pins involved to get the very clean fits. However, it is a look book which like a runway show is "allowed" IMHO to overdo some things. I think you simply cannot compare look books of PS/PC with those of e.g. Brooks Brothers. The former are little pieces of art, the latter plain sales catalogs.

In general, PC suits are not the things you wanna wear for your job interview in a conservative bank. Still, there are some very nice ensembles in the new look book (pages 2,3,7,8,9,10,13), which can complement the basic collection of suits in greys and navys. I like that PC goes beyond the standard patterns and (as typical for Paul Stuart) is not afraid of colors.

The "worrying" part is that PC nowadays seems to be completely limited to 1-button peak lapel jackets with hacking pockets (except for the double-breasted stuff) which becomes a bit boring. They used to have 2-button jackets and notch lapels in the past.

Last edited:

Sanguis Mortuum

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
A couple of the large checks seem rather Nutter-like, especially the blue plaid overcoat. I would probably wear most of this stuff.

speedy4500

Reaction score

This stuff clearly isn't for those with low self esteem. Having said that I love and would wear it all!

Absolutely... not for the shy or reserved. Definitely some ballsy fits in there, but if you can pull it off, you'll make a statement, that's for sure.

I love checks and windowpanes, but there's a few that are even too much for me--mostly the larger sized patterns, which seem disjointed. I do like the majority of it, though. Pages 1,3,4,5,7,10,11,15 are right up my alley.

For some reason 8, 12 & 14 have a more 70s disco aesthetic to me than the English gentry look they seem to be going for.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 93 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads