• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Perc's (dry cleaning solvent) effect on fabric

BD22

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Perc (AKA perchloroethylene, tetrachloroethene) is widely decried as the hallmark of a dry cleaner who neglects the health of his employees and environment. I've read enough to buy this general consensus and have chosen cleaners who use silicon-based solvents for the past two years.

However, I've recently moved and the most recommended (by local tailors, high-end retailers, and Yelpers) cleaner in the area uses perc. His argument, and the argument of other perc proponents is that the solvent, while admittedly bad for the environment and health, is the best option for mens wool tailoring because 1) it's the strongest solvent for hydrophobic stains and 2) it retains the "body" of the suit by leaving the fabric stiff.

I've read through the twenty or so posts available on SF w/r/t to dry cleaning, the posts Mr. Bloom (stubloom on SF) posts on his blog, and various mostly small-sample studies by consumer advocacy (e.g. Consumer Report 2003) and environmental protection agencies and have been able to collect six anecdotal accounts (i.e. descriptions of actual visits to the cleaner) of the difference between silicon-based and hydrocarbon-based solvents. In terms of the effect of the fabric (notwithstanding those on health or the environment) they don't point in favor of either. Some do indeed dislike the feel of fabrics after silicon treatments, but others notice excessive fraying after washing with perc. All of these observations, of course, may not be directly attributable to the solvents used.

High-end cleaners seem to disagree as well. Mr. Bloom of Rave Fabricare stands clearly against perc while services like Madam Paulette (not necessarily, I understand, the best that NYC has to offer in terms of cleaning) and reputable cleaners in my area have decided not to transition out of perc.

I understand that these two solvents do not exhaust the range of dry cleaning methods. I'm not considering the alternatives because wet-cleaning tends to distort the shape of wool items and there are no liquid CO2 (or any other type of fancy) cleaners in my area.

I'm hoping to gather some more testimonials from those who have consciously compared the effect of the two categories of solvents on their dry cleaning. What I'm expecting to see, though, are comments along the lines of "it doesn't matter," unjustified opinions and, most likely, no response. Here, then, is also an experiment on the power of SF.

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 92 36.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 29 11.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 14.9%

Forum statistics

Threads