• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Paypal New "Buyer Protection"

mainy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Zenny
Man I just realised how easy it is for a buyer to scam a seller.

I bought 4 pocketsquares from a guy in the US, and he shipped it First Class (which doesnt have any delivery confirmation) and realised all I needed to do is submit a claim into paypal and I'd get my money back.

Now its only USPS Global Express that is covered by Paypal. Really sucks.

Scammers disgust me.

Bingo!

God bless the Ebay / Paypal monopoly. Make sellers pay allllllllll the fees, then give buyers all the protection. Just wait, as the cost of fraud for sellers goes up, up and away you will see less and less good / unique deals on Ebay as they continue to drive out many sellers. Great business strategy.

Zenny

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mainy
Bingo!

God bless the Ebay / Paypal monopoly. Make sellers pay allllllllll the fees, then give buyers all the protection. Just wait, as the cost of fraud for sellers goes up, up and away you will see less and less good / unique deals on Ebay as they continue to drive out many sellers. Great business strategy.

Are still fucked if you state in your listing "I accept no responsibility for goods lost in the mail"?

Its stupid how sellers actually fund ebay, but its the buyers who rule.

Matt

ex-m@Triate
Reaction score
Zenny - can you reign your signature in please. I just got a couple of PMs from people saying it is giving them browser size issues, and I dont really think we need to see the entire gallery of available emoticons with each and every post.

Thanks.

Zenny

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by m@T
Zenny - can you reign your signature in please. I just got a couple of PMs from people saying it is giving them browser size issues, and I dont really think we need to see the entire gallery of available emoticons with each and every post.

Thanks.

redface.gif

Infrasonic

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by sonlegoman
If eBay and Paypal keep things up, then there will be. I'm thinking about abandoning eBay and transferring to yahoo e-commerce or some other independent merchant site and using a credit card merchant account for payment handling. I've heard Propay is one of the more well known merchant account companies.

Something similar to what Kent Wang has for his PS and cufflinks.

Propay recently got the go ahead from eBay but the integration between eBay and Propay is still lacking. Manual data entry for addresses and mailing labels can be a huge pain ********** for Propay users. But hopefully that will be fixed and competition will lower rates.

Just check what your liability is for stolen/cloned cards if used to purchase goods from you. Reversals are the norm...
frown.gif

johnnyblazini

Reaction score
Well, I've been had as a buyer, and paypal was nowhere to be found...

Anyways, its interesting how you guys are annoyed with paypal's protection of buyers. Perhaps you should realize that the more protection buyers have, the more they will bid on items... This policy has probably had a positive effect on every seller's profits...

Nataku

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
But it's us as sellers that have to deal with the scams, the non-paying bidders who we can no longer leave neg. feedback for, the existing fees, the fees that have been raised and the fees that don't exist yet but it's only a matter of time until they do. I list my eBay auctions in the B/S forum here and a SFer emailed me asking why I listed the auctions under my wife's eBay username. I told him it's because eBay thought it'd be funny to put a "selling limit" on my account for 30 days. They said some **** about it being random and only for sellers who don't sell too much. What the hell, I've been listing up items every Sunday for the past 3 years, and selling altogether since 2000! It turns out the SFer who PMed me has been experiencing the same thing. So now they want to limit sellers?! What the **** is the point in that? I thought the entire point of eBay is to buy/sell I'm sure there are a lot of people out there who depend on eBay as a source of income. The store I work at is closing at the end of the year due to the terrible economy and finding a job could take a long time, so it will soon be my ONLY source of income. I have nowhere else to go really to generate the amount of $ I do through eBay. They're really taking advantage of us and we can't do a thing about it.
frown.gif

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads