• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Paul Smith shirts-Are they all very slim fit?

Osprey Guy

Reaction score
It's apparent to me that I'm not as skinny as many/most of the guys in this forum (I'm also a "few" years older)...but that doesn't in any way diminish my love for fun clothes. Primarily due to a chronic medical condition I've gained a lot of weight over the years, and during that time the shirts I find in the stores seem to be getting skinnier and skinnier.

I've always loved to wear fun shirts with colorful patterns...and I've long admired Paul Smith shirts with all of his nifty, unusual, floral patterns, etc. The two PS shirts that I've purchased so far are really a bit too tight for me. They're OK in the chest, but they taper very quickly in the stomach and waist...too quickly for my bod. But I believe they're both a similar model and I'm hoping that there might be something a little "fuller" in the PS lineup.

I've picked up on an occasional reference to Paul Smith shirts being inconsistent in their fit. As in, maybe they're all not so slim-fitting. Is this true? Does this mean that they could possibly have a model or two that might be feasable for me to wear? (He asked hopefully...).
wink.gif

Dennis

beasty

Reaction score
I have PS and Paul Smith shirts.

All fit 'normally' ie. not tapered or excessively tight as some brands are wont to do. The best is to try before buying.

Knowledge is King

Reaction score
As far as I know (after dropping into both Paul Smith stores in New York on a regular basis), the fits go as follows:

Paul Smith Mainline: Slimmest
Paul Smith London Slim Fit: Slim
Paul Smith London Regular Fit: Regular fit (but still not too full)
PS: regular fit (the cheapest line of Paul Smith)

Osprey Guy

Reaction score
Thanks guys for the responses...

My real motivation for asking now is that I'm interested in a shirt on e-bay. Guess I'm gonna have to ask the seller a little more about the shirt (they have a LOT of items for sale and it might be asking a bit too much for them to take "blow-by-blow" measurements from the chest to the waist).

Dennis

atomicranch

Reaction score
From another not-so-skinny and not-so-young guy, I can tell you that the mainline shirts fit very slim. I'm 5'11", 190 lbs with about a 42" chest and a size 17 was a bit too small. Bought it anyway (at Neiman's Last Call for like 65% off) since I'm losing weight. Should fit in a few weeks
smile.gif

Osprey Guy

Reaction score
I can tell you that the mainline shirts fit very slim. I'm 5'11", 190 lbs with about a 42" chest and a size 17 was a bit too small.
I have a feeling I may be sorry, but....

Happily, I've been losing some weight lately and I think I may be the optimist and go ahead and pull the trigger on the shirt. based on what I see in the pics, I think the shirt is special. It's one of those unusual patterns that only comes along once in a long while...and I know I'll regret if I don't at least check it out.

Thanks for the input.

Dennis

Get Smart

Don't Crink
Reaction score
Paul Smith shirts all have different shapes/sizes within each line.

I have 6 mainline shirts, some are size S and some are size M...they have different cuts depending on the shirt. Mainline dress shirts tend to fit really slim...some of the mainline casual shirts are more relaxed fitting

I have a few London shirts and to me they fit the loosest overall.....if your problem is they taper too much in the body you should check out the "classic fit" London shirts (which are most of them). There are also some called "slimfit" London shirts which are more tapered.

PS really spans the gamut of fits....I have some PS shirts that are extremely slimfit, and I've seen others that are really boxy.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads