• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Pairing the right colour shoe with a dark blue suit?

Danny James

Reaction score
Hi all, I'm new here. I've recently took a big interest in mens fashion and have been significantly upgrading my wardrobe and style in an effort to better myself and portray a better image. Seems like this forum could be a great place for me to get some inspiration and share my thoughts! But today I have a question.

I recently got my first suit since my school prom as I am attending a wedding next month. I opted for a 2-piece wool blend suit in ink blue colour. It shows as a nice deep navy colour in daylight and looks like a little black is interwoven into the fabric, but when there is no sunlight or it is under certain artificial lights the suit can look very close to black with a very slight touch of blue.
With this in mind I'm having a bit of trouble deciding what shoe to pair with it. Originally I thought a pair of tan/brown quarter brogue oxfords, maybe it could work in the daytime but I think when it's dark it might end up looking very out of place? Is tan/brown a bad idea?

I know black will work and I can currently get a very nice single-monk on clearance for £50gbp, but how about burgundy/oxblood?

breakaway01

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Black is always a safe choice with a navy suit, especially for an evening event/wedding. That being said, burgundy/oxblood would be fine as well. I am very against tan shoes with a dark suit though you will see plenty of examples of this combination on Instagram/etc. IMO they are distracting and pull attention away from the entire outfit to one's feet.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads