• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Pacquiao vs. De La Hoya

acidboy

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
People here are talking about the impending Manny Pacquiao-Oscar De La Hoya fight this December in Vegas. Of course Pacquiao is like the biggest thing here, and every time he's got a fight the whole country shuts down and watch- there was even a study made that crime incidences goes down so much when a fight is on. I got into wondering if Pacquiao is also known, or if he has a following, outside of the Philippines too.
Originally Posted by AFP
Boxer Pacquiao agrees to fight De la Hoya: report MANILA (AFP) — World champion Manny Pacquiao has agreed in principle on a blockbuster fight with US boxing icon Oscar De La Hoya, a Filipino paper said Friday. Negotiations for the bout, to be held in Las Vegas on December 6, have been in the works since shortly after Pacquiao wrested the World Boxing Council lightweight title from American David Diaz in June. "I have agreed in principle to accept the December 6 fight against Oscar De La Hoya," southern Philippines-based Pacquiao said in a statement sent by his lawyer Franklin Gacal to the Philippine Daily Inquirer. "This will be the toughest test in my boxing career because of the reach and height advantage of my esteemed opponent, aside from his great boxing skills," he added. "This fight, however, will not be a walk in the park for Oscar De La Hoya. The boxing fans will see the same fire and intensity they have witnessed in my previous fights." Press reports said the fight, at the MGM Grand, will have a 100 million-dollar purse, one of the largest ever, at the catch weight of 147 pounds (66.7 kilograms). Gacal said the final details of the contract still have to be discussed. If the fighters fight at 147 pounds, it will be a 12-pound step-up to welterweight from Pacquiao's (47-3-2, with 35 knock-outs) last fight. De La Hoya (39-5-0, with 30 KOs), who weighed in at 150lb in his last fight against Steve Forbes in May, has won six world titles in six different weight classes and has fought almost every fighter who has been termed the best pound-for-pound boxer. At 5-foot-10 inches, De La Hoya, 35 stands four inches taller and has a six-inch reach advantage over 29-year-old Pacquiao, who has won four titles in four different categories.

Neo_Version 7

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Pacquiao's looking a lot more polished these days.

Hopefully I'll get to catch the fight in the Philippines when I go back this December.

bigbjorn

Reaction score
If you follow boxing at all, you know who Manny Pacquiao is. Pacquiao-Marquez II was a battle.

West24

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
i cant wait for this fight. they say theyll get a 100 000 000 mil for in profits for it. i think pacquiao will handle de la hoya pretty well. i would rather see floyd vs pacquaio.

blackplatano

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This is a mismatch. Pacquiao will have to go up 12 pounds, which is above his natural weight class. Oscar has several inches on him and better reach. Oscar has too much of an advantage. Not a fair fight.

Neo_Version 7

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

jpeirpont

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
People are stil paying to watch Oscar De La Hoya fight?

Homme

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'd also rather see Floyd / Pacquaio; or De La Hoya / Cotto.

West24

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Homme
I'd also rather see Floyd / Pacquaio; or De La Hoya / Cotto.

why cotto and not margaritio? i really wanted to see floyd/cotto, until i saw what margarito did to cotto. now i think margarito/flloyd would be one of the best fights ever.

Homme

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^ Floyd / Margarito would also be awesome, but i think it would be similar to Cotto / Margarito - Floyd putting on a display of speed and skill, mostly counterpunching with the occasional lead; Margarito fighting as he did against cotto - absorbing all the punishment, but constantly coming at him. I have no doubt Floyd could win on points, but i wonder if he could last the distance.

Cotto / Margarito was the best fight i have seen in a long time. Margarito reminds me of Kelly Pavlik a little.

T4phage

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This is such a mismatch. How can Pac-man hurt De La Hoya? Speed, youth are all in Pacq's favour, but hell he is fighting a much LARGER man who was able to go the distance with Mosley and Trinidad. I'm a fan of Pac-man but this is such a stupid matchup.

dgoldberg

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Homme
^ Floyd / Margarito would also be awesome, but i think it would be similar to Cotto / Margarito - Floyd putting on a display of speed and skill, mostly counterpunching with the occasional lead; Margarito fighting as he did against cotto - absorbing all the punishment, but constantly coming at him. I have no doubt Floyd could win on points, but i wonder if he could last the distance.

Cotto / Margarito was the best fight i have seen in a long time. Margarito reminds me of Kelly Pavlik a little.

Floyd turned down 8(?) million a few years ago to fight Margarito, so he probably won't fight him now.

I hope pac man knocks de la hoya out

Odd Morsel

Reaction score
Originally Posted by T4phage
This is such a mismatch. How can Pac-man hurt De La Hoya? Speed, youth are all in Pacq's favour, but hell he is fighting a much LARGER man who was able to go the distance with Mosley and Trinidad. I'm a fan of Pac-man but this is such a stupid matchup.

Agreed. This is a bad match on so many levels. I love Pacquiao, but it's a shame this fight is taking place.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads