• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Oxford cloth pop-over

srivats

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I am seriously considering ordering a couple of oxford cloth pop-overs from cable car clothiers. I really like the look, and IIRC, this style goes to back to the days when the OCBD shirts were really sport shirts.

For those of you who don't know what I am talking about, here is a pic from the website:

pullovershirtslg.jpg

I have a a blue short-sleeve oxford cloth shirt and a cotton madras shirt from BB Black fleece in this style (with 4 placket buttons though, so when tucked in it does not look any different from a regular shirt). I really enjoy wearing them. I want to get a more casual looking shirt , for more variety and for those casual occasions where a polo shirt (with w/o pony) would not really be appropriate. 'How different is this?' you ask? I don't really know, but to me, the BD collar/oxford cloth combo looks really crisp and smarter than your usual polo shirt.

Apart from CCC, does anyone know of other RTW sources for similar shirts?

**ps: and yes, the model above seems to be wearing "dress" denims. Looks hella' cool.

voxsartoria

Goon member
Timed Out
Reaction score
What you are calling a popover is actually the original form of the BB polo shirt. It wasn't standardized with a full front, or "coat" style, placket until John Wood took over after WWII.

Mercer offers a pullover polo as an MTO option.

- B

Shirtmaven

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
how did that modle get into that shirt.
it is a size to small.
you need to be rather limber to do so as there is no stretch in oxford cloth as there is in a knit shirt.

I have made a number of these over the years. just not in oxford cloth.

AndrewRogers

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Actually, I think you'll find that this even predates the Wars of the Roses.
shirt2-pop.jpg
The amazing thing is that the filename even contains the word pop.

Millerp

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Shirtmaven
how did that model get into that shirt. it is a size to small.
Just a guess, but I'll bet it's pinned or clipped at the back just for the photo shoot.

Shirtmaven

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Millerp
Just a guess, but I'll bet it's pinned or clipped at the back just for the photo shoot.

maybe, but the yoke is too short and it is pulling at the armhole.
there used to be a skinny shirtmaker named G. George that wore voile pullovers.

Parker

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I used to wear these in high school. Half placket front, third collar button. Reyn Spooner hawaiian prints, madras and seersucker short sleevers.

Gant just came out with a design from their archives in solid oxford cloth, long sleeve. I think it's only available at Barneys.

Cary Grant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Parker
I used to wear these in high school. Half placket front, third collar button. Reyn Spooner hawaiian prints, madras and seersucker short sleevers.

Gant just came out with a design from their archives in solid oxford cloth, long sleeve. I think it's only available at Barneys.

Ditto- used to be popular in butcher stripes etc.

narcissism

Reaction score
All of a sudden the idea of a popover shirt for spring/summer as an alternative to a polo shirt is really appealing. The only trouble is that I cannot find one anywhere, let alone one with a pointed placket. Any ideas guys?

Grammaton Cleric

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm having a couple made in Grandi & Rubinelli linen - curious to see how they eventually turn out.

srivats

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Oh wow, it's like taking a trip in the time machine. I don't even remember starting this thread.

I got mine from Mercer and I really enjoy them for wearing in summer.

B, weren't you considering getting a few made as well earlier? Don't remember if it was Dege or Mina, but if you did get them made, I'd love to see some photos.

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads