1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Oxford cloth pop-over

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by srivats, Sep 21, 2009.

1. srivats

srivats Senior member

I am seriously considering ordering a couple of oxford cloth pop-overs from cable car clothiers. I really like the look, and IIRC, this style goes to back to the days when the OCBD shirts were really sport shirts.

For those of you who don't know what I am talking about, here is a pic from the website:

[​IMG]

I have a a blue short-sleeve oxford cloth shirt and a cotton madras shirt from BB Black fleece in this style (with 4 placket buttons though, so when tucked in it does not look any different from a regular shirt). I really enjoy wearing them. I want to get a more casual looking shirt , for more variety and for those casual occasions where a polo shirt (with w/o pony) would not really be appropriate. 'How different is this?' you ask? I don't really know, but to me, the BD collar/oxford cloth combo looks really crisp and smarter than your usual polo shirt.

Apart from CCC, does anyone know of other RTW sources for similar shirts?

**ps: and yes, the model above seems to be wearing "dress" denims. Looks hella' cool.

2. voxsartoria

voxsartoria Senior member

What you are calling a popover is actually the original form of the BB polo shirt. It wasn't standardized with a full front, or "coat" style, placket until John Wood took over after WWII.

Mercer offers a pullover polo as an MTO option.

- B

3. Shirtmaven

Shirtmaven Senior member Dubiously Honored

how did that modle get into that shirt.
    it is a size to small.
    you need to be rather limber to do so as there is no stretch in oxford cloth as there is in a knit shirt.

I have made a number of these over the years. just not in oxford cloth.

4. AndrewRogers

AndrewRogers Senior member

Actually, I think you'll find that this even predates the Wars of the Roses. [​IMG] The amazing thing is that the filename even contains the word pop.

5. Millerp

Millerp Senior member

how did that model get into that shirt. it is a size to small.
    Just a guess, but I'll bet it's pinned or clipped at the back just for the photo shoot.

6. Shirtmaven

Shirtmaven Senior member Dubiously Honored

Just a guess, but I'll bet it's pinned or clipped at the back just for the photo shoot.

maybe, but the yoke is too short and it is pulling at the armhole.
    there used to be a skinny shirtmaker named G. George that wore voile pullovers.

7. Parker

Parker Senior member Dubiously Honored

I used to wear these in high school. Half placket front, third collar button. Reyn Spooner hawaiian prints, madras and seersucker short sleevers.

Gant just came out with a design from their archives in solid oxford cloth, long sleeve. I think it's only available at Barneys.

8. Cary Grant

Cary Grant Senior member

I used to wear these in high school. Half placket front, third collar button. Reyn Spooner hawaiian prints, madras and seersucker short sleevers.

Gant just came out with a design from their archives in solid oxford cloth, long sleeve. I think it's only available at Barneys.

Ditto- used to be popular in butcher stripes etc.

9. narcissism

narcissism Senior member

All of a sudden the idea of a popover shirt for spring/summer as an alternative to a polo shirt is really appealing. The only trouble is that I cannot find one anywhere, let alone one with a pointed placket. Any ideas guys?

10. Grammaton Cleric

Grammaton Cleric Senior member

I'm having a couple made in Grandi & Rubinelli linen - curious to see how they eventually turn out.

11. narcissism

narcissism Senior member

12. Grammaton Cleric

Grammaton Cleric Senior member

Geneva

13. srivats

srivats Senior member

Oh wow, it's like taking a trip in the time machine. I don't even remember starting this thread.

I got mine from Mercer and I really enjoy them for wearing in summer.

B, weren't you considering getting a few made as well earlier? Don't remember if it was Dege or Mina, but if you did get them made, I'd love to see some photos.

Last edited: Apr 3, 2012
  14. F. Corbera

F. Corbera Senior member

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  15. srivats

srivats Senior member

B, thanks for the photos -- those look absolutely terrific. The collars look soooooooo nice. Mina did a great job for you! Am I right in guessing that the fabric is S-G chambray?

I am going to check with David if he can source a good pale blue chambray for me.

1 person likes this.