Oxford cloth pop-over

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by srivats, Sep 21, 2009.

1. srivats

srivats Senior member

I am seriously considering ordering a couple of oxford cloth pop-overs from cable car clothiers. I really like the look, and IIRC, this style goes to back to the days when the OCBD shirts were really sport shirts.

For those of you who don't know what I am talking about, here is a pic from the website:

[​IMG]

I have a a blue short-sleeve oxford cloth shirt and a cotton madras shirt from BB Black fleece in this style (with 4 placket buttons though, so when tucked in it does not look any different from a regular shirt). I really enjoy wearing them. I want to get a more casual looking shirt , for more variety and for those casual occasions where a polo shirt (with w/o pony) would not really be appropriate. 'How different is this?' you ask? I don't really know, but to me, the BD collar/oxford cloth combo looks really crisp and smarter than your usual polo shirt.

Apart from CCC, does anyone know of other RTW sources for similar shirts?

**ps: and yes, the model above seems to be wearing "dress" denims. Looks hella' cool.

2. voxsartoria

voxsartoria Goon member

What you are calling a popover is actually the original form of the BB polo shirt. It wasn't standardized with a full front, or "coat" style, placket until John Wood took over after WWII.

Mercer offers a pullover polo as an MTO option.

- B

3. Shirtmaven

Shirtmaven Senior member Dubiously Honored

4. AndrewRogers

AndrewRogers Senior member

Actually, I think you'll find that this even predates the Wars of the Roses. [​IMG] The amazing thing is that the filename even contains the word pop.

5. Millerp

Millerp Senior member

how did that model get into that shirt. it is a size to small.
    Just a guess, but I'll bet it's pinned or clipped at the back just for the photo shoot.

6. Shirtmaven

Shirtmaven Senior member Dubiously Honored

7. Parker

Parker Senior member Dubiously Honored

I used to wear these in high school. Half placket front, third collar button. Reyn Spooner hawaiian prints, madras and seersucker short sleevers.

Gant just came out with a design from their archives in solid oxford cloth, long sleeve. I think it's only available at Barneys.

8. Cary Grant

Cary Grant Senior member

I used to wear these in high school. Half placket front, third collar button. Reyn Spooner hawaiian prints, madras and seersucker short sleevers.

Gant just came out with a design from their archives in solid oxford cloth, long sleeve. I think it's only available at Barneys.

Ditto- used to be popular in butcher stripes etc.

9. narcissism

narcissism Senior member

All of a sudden the idea of a popover shirt for spring/summer as an alternative to a polo shirt is really appealing. The only trouble is that I cannot find one anywhere, let alone one with a pointed placket. Any ideas guys?

10. Grammaton Cleric

Grammaton Cleric Senior member

I'm having a couple made in Grandi & Rubinelli linen - curious to see how they eventually turn out.

11. Grammaton Cleric

Grammaton Cleric Senior member

Geneva

12. srivats

srivats Senior member

Oh wow, it's like taking a trip in the time machine. I don't even remember starting this thread.

I got mine from Mercer and I really enjoy them for wearing in summer.

B, weren't you considering getting a few made as well earlier? Don't remember if it was Dege or Mina, but if you did get them made, I'd love to see some photos.

Last edited: Apr 3, 2012

13. F. Corbera

F. Corbera Senior member

14. srivats

srivats Senior member

B, thanks for the photos -- those look absolutely terrific. The collars look soooooooo nice. Mina did a great job for you! Am I right in guessing that the fabric is S-G chambray?

I am going to check with David if he can source a good pale blue chambray for me.