• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Out of the plant into the Corporate world

TAP

Reaction score
Seasons greeting to all. This is my 2nd post with the 1st being my HELLO post. I stumbled upon this forum during my search for tips and guides to enhance my closet and dress style.

I've recently accepted a position with my company that places me in a totally new work environment than my current. It's a great opportunity and I'm excited however, I need to brushen up on my attire. Currently I work in a manufacturing facility (management) where I wear company logo polo's, Khaki pants of all sorts and oil resistant shoes and or boots for the days I ride my bike to work. No major dress code, but must have a collared shirt of some sort. One that you will not cry if and when it gets grease on it. I will be transitioning to a corporate office environment and out of the plant. I know there has been a lot of change for most corporate offices, at least in this business, where wearing a suit and tie is not necessary. I've been in plenty of offices where guys where the sports coat, no tie or a nice shirt, no tie, etc.

I do own a suit and a couple sports coats but they are used for weddings, dinner parties etc. I desire to enhance my Mon - Fri appearance for corporate America. I will be doing a lot of traveling as well. I will take the time to read the stickies and see what I can find, but wanted to get the ball rolling with any ideas, suggestions and or recomendations on where to start.

As for my body type: I am 5'4, stocky/fit...44" athletic cut jacket..if the arms are cut right, 30" in seam, 33 p- 34" waist, 17 1/2" neck, Yes... ALL of my "Dress" clothes have to be tailored.

This is going to be a work in progress project for me and I'm ready! I'll be very honest with myself and you.....money IS AN object and I'm working with a budget, looking for the best value for the dollar. However, there is one place I will not take short cuts....and that's in the shoe department. My feet need to be treated right. (Smile).

Thank you in advance for your assistance and I look forward in participating in this forum!

TAP

Taxler

Reaction score
Having worked as an engineer in a manufacturing plant many years ago, I'll offer the following: For trousers and shirts, look for durable cotton fabrics that can be washed. Stain and wrinkle resistant fabrics are a good option in industrial environments as well. Avoid lighter colors on days you know you're likely to get dirty. Replace the polo with a button up shirt, and when not wearing a coat and tie, you can make the look more interesting with patterened shirts. Above all else, make sure that whatever you're wearing is clean and pressed.

johnny_flapjack

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You can probably start getting some ideas of how to put things together by checking out the "What are you wearing right now?" thread in this forum. Don't get too caught up on the labels and brands (because it is HARD to keep up with some of the hard-cores here) if you're trying to operate within a budget, just look at how people put slacks/shirts/coats together. That should give you some inspiration as to what you might like style-wise.

As far as actually buying the stuff, just keep on the lookout for deals. The buying and selling thread is good for the occasional deal on odd coats and trousers. You can also take advantage of the fact that there are many shoes of usually very good quality that trade hands through this forum - either because they don't fit someone, a member picked up a good deal to pass along, or they're being pointed out on the "cool shoes, paraphernalia & desiderata" thread in the buying & selling forum (which is mainly ebay auctions). If you have a Nordstrom Rack locally, that's a good source for discounted suits and coats. Many members have had good luck at sierratradingpost.com as well. Members here are very generous with passing along knowledge of when sales occur and how you can go about saving some $ - like the upcoming 25% off at Brooks Brothers on the morning of Dec. 26, and they have some nice non-iron dress shirts.

Good luck, and try not to get sucked into this place too fast (says the guy whose wife is still questioning my newfound love of expensive shoes).

TAP

Reaction score
Thank you for the suggestions! I will glance at the "What are we wearing right now thread" for ideas.

Stazy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by TAP
One that you will not cry if and when it gets grease on it.
Rest assured, I will not cry when you get grease on your shirts, regardless of what brand they are. Seriously though, the what are you wearing right now thread is the best place to start.

kwilkinson

Having a Ball
Reaction score
Originally Posted by johnny_flapjack
You can probably start getting some ideas of how to put things together by checking out the "What are you wearing right now?" thread in this forum. Don't get too caught up on the labels and brands (because it is HARD to keep up with some of the hard-cores here) if you're trying to operate within a budget, just look at how people put slacks/shirts/coats together. That should give you some inspiration as to what you might like style-wise.

As far as actually buying the stuff, just keep on the lookout for deals. The buying and selling thread is good for the occasional deal on odd coats and trousers. You can also take advantage of the fact that there are many shoes of usually very good quality that trade hands through this forum - either because they don't fit someone, a member picked up a good deal to pass along, or they're being pointed out on the "cool shoes, paraphernalia & desiderata" thread in the buying & selling forum (which is mainly ebay auctions). If you have a Nordstrom Rack locally, that's a good source for discounted suits and coats. Many members have had good luck at sierratradingpost.com as well. Members here are very generous with passing along knowledge of when sales occur and how you can go about saving some $ - like the upcoming 25% off at Brooks Brothers on the morning of Dec. 26, and they have some nice non-iron dress shirts.

Good luck, and try not to get sucked into this place too fast (says the guy whose wife is still questioning my newfound love of expensive shoes).

Holy crap! Does that 25% Brooks Bros require a checkout code or anything?

Duveen

Reaction score
My honest advice is to do the Brooks thing. And check out the CostCo dress slacks, which I hear people talk about (just repeating received wisdom there, no personal experience). Also take a look @ Jos. A Banks. While the quality is not amazing, they have decent, classic looks that may work for you. They also have a wide variety of sizes. Given your build, you may want/need 'nested' suits (where you can get different jackets and pants) and a selection of fabrics in a variety of sizes. You may also try some Stafford stuff from JC Penny (it has been about 10 years since I bought dress shirts there, so things may have gone downhill since then - I am sure folks will pipe up). I am purposely avoiding the usual StyleForum names because I hear you loud and clear on the budget issues. That said, the board loves to recommend Oxxford suits on Ebay. Depending on your size, you may be able to find them for as little as $499 new. Be very careful about buying used stuff on Ebay, as it can be old and very poor quality. You may also want to get a copy of Flusser's "Dressing the Man" (or check it out at a bookstore) to get a sense of classic pattern matching etc. http://www.amazon.com/Dressing-Man-M.../dp/0060191449. It is a beautiful book and really quite helpful with the basics of proportion, color, etc. Lauren by Ralph Lauren, also lower-quality but generally available in a range of sizes for good prices, will give you a few options in classic patterns/colors. Finally, Sierra Trading Post (http://www.sierratradingpost.com) is another potential source for good stuff. If you can find a Samuelsohn suit in your size, that will be a real step up in quality for your money. Plus, STP has a great return policy. Best of luck with the transition.

johnny_flapjack

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by kwilkinson
Holy crap! Does that 25% Brooks Bros require a checkout code or anything?

I'm only going off of the following thread and hoping for the best. Rest assured, I will be online that AM and then probably make a trip to the store before noon. If their shirts are now 3 for $199, 25% off would be $150, and the 15% kicker would bring them down to $127.50 for three. Much more reasonable with the way a tend to destroy shirts. And to the original poster, that's for their regular line. The Brooks 346 line is not as high a quality, but I think the price is usually 20% less to start on the shirts. I once caught them on sale for about $25 each.

http://www.styleforum.net/showthread...christmas+sale

zalb916

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You're also probably wearing your clothes at an improper length. No way you are 5'4" with a 30 inch inseam. You should probably be closer to 28 or you pants are way too baggy at the bottom.

username79

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Taxler
Having worked as an engineer in a manufacturing plant many years ago, I'll offer the following: For trousers and shirts, look for durable cotton fabrics that can be washed. Stain and wrinkle resistant fabrics are a good option in industrial environments as well. Avoid lighter colors on days you know you're likely to get dirty. Replace the polo with a button up shirt, and when not wearing a coat and tie, you can make the look more interesting with patterened shirts. Above all else, make sure that whatever you're wearing is clean and pressed.

He's moving from industrial to corporate.

TAP

Reaction score
Again excellent suggestions that I will follow. There is a Brooks Brothers outlet 30min from me that I will visit Wed. There is a Costco 15 min from me that I will also take a look in.

zbromer: You are pretty good. Yes, my inseam is actually a 28 from "dress" pants. For casual wear, I typically wear/desire to wear 29/30's.

It sounds like Brooks Brothers is going to be a good starting place. All I need to do now is locate a good local tailor.

HKTenor

Reaction score
First, congratulations on what sounds like a big move for you careerwise.

I would second the recommendations for Brooks and Jos. A Banks in terms of stores, and would suggest that your first priorities be a sturdy and presentable blue blazer (tailored as well as you can get it) and a tweed jacket (which you might consider thrifting). These will go with the khakis and so forth that you already own, although there are some good posts on trousers already.

Next get a few crisp button-down and spread collar shirts (Brooks' regular line is fine) and some striped ties (also a great thrift item) and you are in business. I am so glad you are already resolved to invest in good shoes!

You did say that relatively few people in the company wear ties in the office, but I would make a habit of doing so at least a few days a week from the beginning, as it will make it easier to gradually upgrade your wardrobe and try new styles without a jarring transition later.

When you are travelling on business, dial up the formality as much as you can (even a suit if you like the ones you have). It's a good way to enhance your credibility with other people in the company you may not know, or to show respect for clients if you are travelling to meet them, and it won't look as out-of-place as doing so in your everyday office.

Keeping what you buy tailored and in good condition and spending a little extra time on ironing will make it all look 10x better - this is so much more important than buying the rarified brands we all moon over on SF.

There is plenty of time in life to go insane over the almost-imperceptible details of tailored clothing, so for now I would recommend you find a less expensive and more socially-tolerated obession, like Baja-racing vintage Bentleys or mainlining heroin...

Montresor

Reaction score
Tap -- very much a noob like you on this forum. I don't post much, but I read quite a bit and try to absorb as much as possible.

Not for suits or blazers so much, but for separates like shirts, slacks, v-neck sweaters and the like, make it a habit to comb through a TJ Maxx or Marshall's on a regular basis. The inventory is constantly changing and you'd be surprised at the deals you'll find on higher-quality stuff that they get in from time to time. It's all mixed in with the dreck, though, so you have to really look. Definitely fun when you score something. I certainly stay away from the "irregular" items -- but since I do not (cannot) keep up with current trends, the "past season" merchandise presents a real opportunity.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 101 36.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 100 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 36 12.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 46 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.7%

Forum statistics

Threads