• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Orslow

ojaw

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The real question is whether you’d be able to tell it wasn’t MiJ if there wasn’t a label.
I think the question is how much more dosh Orslow is making by moving production out of Japan, because that is always the reason any production moves from a high wage country to a lower wage one. Chinese qc is clearly catching up, no question there.

zranger102797

Reaction score
Personally I’m just not willing to buy stuff made in China. There are too many great brands at similar price points to Beams and OrSlow putting in the work to manufacture more ethically for me to choose one manufacturing in China.

mak1277

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think the question is how much more dosh Orslow is making by moving production out of Japan, because that is always the reason any production moves from a high wage country to a lower wage one. Chinese qc is clearly catching up, no question there.

But that question doesn’t interest me much at all. I don’t buy orSlow (or RRL or whatever) because they’re a good value, I buy them because they’re good products. Companies exist to make money for their owners. I don’t begrudge them that right.

Watty

Reaction score
I think it’s more that, if they’re swapping to China over Japan, the pricing should decrease to reflect that, regardless of QC?

Junglejack

Reaction score
no issues imo because Beams plus makes their stuff in China as well.
The thing is that the items that are still MiJ, they (or retailers) certainly make that clear and likewise in sewn clearly into the label.

Ultimately, it is problematic when companies are built on the reputation of being made somewhere like Japan and then clandestinely switching. Especially when a pair of fatigue pants cost around $250.

Regardless, I really dig the brick crapton of OrSlow I already own. Currently wearing New Yorker shorts that I had altered to 7 inches. Only hope they continue to offer their Loopwheel sweatshirts as they are amazing.

leephil

Reaction score
The thing is that the items that are still MiJ, they (or retailers) certainly make that clear and likewise in sewn clearly into the label.

Ultimately, it is problematic when companies are built on the reputation of being made somewhere like Japan and then clandestinely switching. Especially when a pair of fatigue pants cost around $250.

Regardless, I really dig the brick crapton of OrSlow I already own. Currently wearing New Yorker shorts that I had altered to 7 inches. Only hope they continue to offer their Loopwheel sweatshirts as they are amazing.
It's even funnier bc the orslow logo has an outline of Japan.

I don't think MiC deserves a bad rep bc their factories can put out some serious high quality stuff. It's just usually lower specs requested from brands in order to cut costs.

I'd be interested to see how their new MiC stuff compares to old in regards to quality. The chino example from before did look a bit shoddy.

whereeaglesdare

Reaction score
This is what orSlow has to say about it. Note that only the sewing is conducted in China. All the fabrics and hardware, washing are still done in Japan.

"Due to the labor shortage in domestic sewing factories and the resulting reduction in production capacity,
it has become extremely difficult to maintain domestic production.

The situation is expected to become even more serious in the future.
For several years, the labor force in sewing factories and other factories in Japan has been supported by foreign workers,
but due to the depreciation of the yen, the quality of workers coming to Japan is also getting poor.

The definition of "made in Japan" means that the products are made in Japan, but in reality, most of the workers in sewing factories in Japan are foreign workers from China, Vietnam, Myanmar, Indonesia, and other countries.
What we believe is important is to provide high-quality products made under the supervision of Japanese people.

As for production in China, only the sewing will be done there.
Materials such as fabrics and buttons are all produced in Japan, and the final washing process and inspection are conducted also in Japan.

The sewing factory we are working with is a reliable factory that is run by Japanese.
The sewing technology in China is maintained at the same level as that of domestic production, and there is no difference in quality."

The sad reality is that made in USA and Japan clothes are only going to become more expensive and harder to do as factories close and or are unable to find workers.

schraiber

Reaction score
The problem is that all of these jobs in factories are actually skilled labor that takes a while to train up, but they're paid like they're an entry level fast food worker (or worse). To make the career more enticing, wages need to go up. But then the clothes would get even more expensive.

I do wonder what their balance sheets look like when they move stuff to lowe cost of labor places though. Making clothes is suuuuper low margin in the first place, so it's possible they only moved after being in the red.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 38.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 35.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 29 11.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.0%

Forum statistics

Threads