• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA Japanese BDU Camo Cargo Pants Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Japanese BDU Camo Cargo Pants are now live. These cargos are based off vintage US Army BDU (Battle Dress Uniform) cargos. They're made of a premium 13.5-ounce Japanese twill that has been sulfur dyed for a vintage look. Every detail has been carried over from the inspiration and elevated. Available in two colorways, tundra and woodland. Please find them here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

opinions on hacking pockets?

vida

Reaction score
I recently looked at a Paul Stuart suit that had hacking pockets (ticket pocket, hacking style, too). I like them because they are different but I am one who buys things to last. Do you this style will look odd in 10 years or is it more of a classic British style?
Thanks

Geezer

Reaction score
It is a classic British style.

It is now fashionable more widely.

As a Brit, all of the SB coats I have had made since 1987 have had hacking pockets. As have the vast majority of my RTW SB coats.

I do not think it will go out of style any time soon.

Ich_Dien

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

It is a classic British style.
It is now fashionable more widely.
As a Brit, all of the SB coats I have had made since 1987 have had hacking pockets. As have the vast majority of my RTW SB coats.
I do not think it will go out of style any time soon.

+1.

Gus

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think owning one in a classic tweed or corduroy sport jacket is a nice addition to a wardrobe. But in the US, I would avoid getting a business suit with them. It is quite a different story if you are in the UK.

DerekS

Guyliner
Reaction score
i wouldnt if it were my only sportcoat. But its a nice option to change things up.

Troilus

Reaction score
I just bought my first suit with a hacking pocket (grey BB Madison model). I was a little nervous about it at first (conservative workplace) but have found it isn't noticeable to most people and those that do think it's fine work-wise. That said, I'd probably not wear that suit to court. But I like it very much; it makes the suit just slightly more novel.

Master-Classter

Distinguished Member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score

Personally I love ticket pockets (although they are much better for taller gents than shorter ones, for whom a longer expanse of uninterrupted fabric is more flattering) - but hacking pockets can be dangerous. They can accentuate the belly IMHO

I would have thought that if you're on the shorter side (like me) that regular pockets are horizontal lines which break up the body visually whereas hacked add closer to a vertical line and so would be better.. ???

unbelragazzo

Jewfro
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

I would have thought that if you're on the shorter side (like me) that regular pockets are horizontal lines which break up the body visually whereas hacked add closer to a vertical line and so would be better.. ???

My argument was for ticket vs. no ticket, not hacking vs. straight

Master-Classter

Distinguished Member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
yeah, obviously i'm just an idiot and wasn't reading properly... (1am here). Duh.

carry on....:embar:

Tweedy

Reaction score
I also love them, they add something to a jacket ....

williamson

Reaction score
I do NOT like slanted "hacking" pockets, and would never buy a jacket with them - the square pockets look much better to me. However, I do like a jacket to have a ticket pocket.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 105 36.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 106 36.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 37 12.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 47 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 42 14.6%

Forum statistics

Threads