1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

opinions on hacking pockets?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by vida, Jan 22, 2012.

1. vida

vida Senior member

I recently looked at a Paul Stuart suit that had hacking pockets (ticket pocket, hacking style, too). I like them because they are different but I am one who buys things to last. Do you this style will look odd in 10 years or is it more of a classic British style?
    Thanks

2. Geezer

Geezer Senior member

It is a classic British style.

It is now fashionable more widely.

As a Brit, all of the SB coats I have had made since 1987 have had hacking pockets. As have the vast majority of my RTW SB coats.

I do not think it will go out of style any time soon.

3. Ich_Dien

Ich_Dien Senior member

+1.

4. GusW

GusW Senior member Dubiously Honored

I think owning one in a classic tweed or corduroy sport jacket is a nice addition to a wardrobe. But in the US, I would avoid getting a business suit with them. It is quite a different story if you are in the UK.

5. DerekS

DerekS Senior member

i wouldnt if it were my only sportcoat. But its a nice option to change things up.

6. Kaplan

Kaplan Senior member

'

Last edited: Feb 1, 2012
  7. comrade

comrade Senior member

I like the style, but abhor ticket pockets

8. unbelragazzo

unbelragazzo Senior member Dubiously Honored

Personally I love ticket pockets (although they are much better for taller gents than shorter ones, for whom a longer expanse of uninterrupted fabric is more flattering) - but hacking pockets can be dangerous. They can accentuate the belly IMHO

9. Troilus

Troilus Senior member

I just bought my first suit with a hacking pocket (grey BB Madison model). I was a little nervous about it at first (conservative workplace) but have found it isn't noticeable to most people and those that do think it's fine work-wise. That said, I'd probably not wear that suit to court. But I like it very much; it makes the suit just slightly more novel.

10. Master-Classter

Master-Classter Senior member

I would have thought that if you're on the shorter side (like me) that regular pockets are horizontal lines which break up the body visually whereas hacked add closer to a vertical line and so would be better.. ???

11. unbelragazzo

unbelragazzo Senior member Dubiously Honored

My argument was for ticket vs. no ticket, not hacking vs. straight

12. Master-Classter

Master-Classter Senior member

yeah, obviously i'm just an idiot and wasn't reading properly... (1am here). Duh.

carry on....:embar:

13. Cylon

Cylon Senior member

14. Tweedy

Tweedy Senior member

I also love them, they add something to a jacket ....

15. williamson

williamson Senior member

I do NOT like slanted "hacking" pockets, and would never buy a jacket with them - the square pockets look much better to me. However, I do like a jacket to have a ticket pocket.

16. Xenon

Xenon Senior member

Absolutely true. I am also fairly short and now have all my suits made with hacking pockets for this reason. In fact I have a pretty extreme slant of 35* used and I really like the look.

17. razl

razl Senior member

I very much like hacking pockets but I recently came to the conclusion that I don't like them on single or non-vent jackets*. Note that even the single vent jacket can have the dreaded "draped condom" look of an unvented jacket from the side and, when viewed from that perspective, there is something visually wrong with hacking pockets without there is no disruption to the rear vertical line form a dual vent config. I tried to dig up a picture to show what I mean but couldn't find one, you'd have to see it for yourself. For whatever reason, to my eye, only a horizontal pocket line works in that setup.

Maybe somebody else can post a pic of the two from the side to show what I mean.

(*as an aside, non-vented jackets shouldn't even exist - tuxedos not withstanding - but they do, so here we are)

Last edited: Jan 23, 2012
  18. culverwood

culverwood Senior member

+2 All my jackets have hacking pockets - suits, sports coats and dinner jackets.

19. antikantian

antikantian Senior member

This is interesting. Someone correct me if I am mistaken, but aren't the origins of both hacking pockets and single vents somehow related to equestrian history? That said, I'm a huge fan of both hacking pockets and side vents.

20. razl

razl Senior member

:facepalm: - you know what, I believe you are correct (or at least I vaguely recall reading the same thing). Something like the single vents are preferred for horse riding - presumably because the split better suits sitting astride a horse (presuming we're not talking side-saddle riding).