• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Opinion of this Peacoat

spacecrusader

Reaction score
Hello!

Hopefully this is the right place.

I am looking to get a decent peacoat on a budget (hard I know). I came across this one: http://www.wilsonsleather.com/produ...w=all&promo=6956&csu=118638&parentPage=family

I have a few questions though...

• Does the 3/4 length mean that it is shorter than a normal coat, like awkwardly short?
  • Do the construction details show that it could be a good coat for the price?

Thanks!

Blackhood

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
3/4 length usually means about halfway down the thigh.

I wouldn't buy it based on the fact that its a "wool pea coat 100% cotton". At $50 I'm not sure you'd get much better but maybe check out the usual TJ Maxx but for a decent coat you need about $200 minimum. Think of it as an investment, I've had my pea coat for 5 years now; due to the fact you only wear it 6 months of the year it should last well.

joshuadowen

Reaction score
1. 3/4 length means that the coat should fall somewhere mid-thigh. I don't know the exact history of the expression, but I imagine that it comes from the fact that a full-length overcoat hits around the knee.

2. There's really no way to tell how this is constructed from those pictures. But, there's something very strange to me about a pea coat made of 100 percent cotton. Generally a coat like this would be made from wool. Lower end examples will be a wool blend, usually with some synthetic fabric in there to keep down costs. Still, a pea coat made of cotton seems bizarre, not warm, and not weather resistant. I know it looks like a good deal, but I wouldn't buy it, even on your budget. Look for something in wool.

Josh

joshuadowen

Reaction score
I swear I was in the MIDDLE of typing an answer when Blackhood beat me too it. No plagiarism to see here.

spacecrusader

Reaction score
Great - Thanks guys!

The word "Wool" in the title of the product is misleading.

Gdot

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
or maybe the 100% cotton is the inaccurate part.

It's actually cheaper to make a thick fabric out of lower quality wool than it is out of cotton. As wool is bulker, has a higher twist and thus 'lofts' better than cotton.

So I'm not so sure this coat isn't wool.

Stil...given the price it couldn't much on the quality side none the less.

JamesX

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If you have the inclination, just hit any army surplus store in your area. The military issue (such as Navy Ensign Peacoat) should be around the same price and better qualitied.

blahman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Or online army surplus sites too. I've browsed through some and spotted unissued full length double breasted greatcoats in a really heavy wool for under $100 shipped. But it needs are lot of airing out to get rid of the mothball smells.

And that coat linked doesn't even look like it would cover your butt.

Last edited:

MikeDT

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hmm..advertised as a 'wool' peacoat... "Men's M. Julian Wool 3/4-Length Peacoat", "The marvels of maritime are the inspiration behind this wool peacoat."

"Shell: 100% cotton
Body & Sleeve Lining: 100% polyester; Knit Trim: 100% polyester"

...there's plenty of polyester and cotton, not much wool though.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads