• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • Epaulet x Styleforum Alpine Loden Collection

Loden wool, woven in Tirol for centuries, is known for its resistance to cold and wetness. Our project in collaboration with Epaulet introduces Alpine Loden, a modern 18oz fabric blend of 75% merino wool and 25% nylon, woven in Italy. It's lighter, more durable, wind-resistant, and more comfortable than traditional Loden fabric. Partnering with Rochester Tailored Clothing, we offer custom garments like sportcoats, suits, and overcoats, made to your specifications. Learn more about the Loden collection here.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

One shoe is lighter than the other - deglaze and dye?

haganah

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

So I thought I found a good deal on Santoni goodyears with double soles at $180.

The shoes come in and one looks a little lighter than the other. I search on styleforum and evidently this happens often with display shoes.

So I walk on over to B. Nelson to ask him. I never remember the guy's name (sorry Nick) but he looks like a Latin American Nick. Anyway, he tells me how the color is applied in layers and how polishing it might not make it match still. And he nonchalantly says it looks strange and almost like two pairs of shoes were mixed up. Well they write the style number inside the shoe and it certainly is the same.

I'm a little peeved the seller didn't mention this. He just said it was new.

Anyway, I should have asked if B Nelson could just re-dye it but I didn't. Any thoughts on this? Otherwise I saw a ton of threads by guys like Rider who use deglaser and dye it after but this isn't my preferred route since I haven't done this before.

Any advice would be appreciated. Thank you.

justsayno

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Good deal

Just wear and polish both with darker colored polish.

Last edited:

Gdot

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
They can certainly be redyed. I personally wouldn't do it myself on a good pair of shoes such as those.

You might try a few coats of dark brown cream polish on the lighter pair. (after a thorough conditioning). It can always be stripped off in the redye process anyway.

Have you tried to get a refund? Doesn't seem like you should have to accept that much variation.

ter1413

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Return

haganah

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yeah I wrote the guy and he said I can send them back. We didn't discuss return shipping. It does bug me that he really didn't mention anything about this from the beginning.

I just didn't know if between the low cost and the kind of dye job Ron would do if it makes sense to keep them, especially if I don't have to go to the post office which I hate with a passion.

Last edited:

justsayno

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
i wouldn't sweat it. no one's gonna notice the color difference except you. using dark color polish/wax will in time make the color uniform.

Featured Sponsor

Invisible Socks: Convenience or Curse?

• Convenience

• Curse

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JohneAllene