• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

one meal in LA, type of food, not specific resteraunt

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
ok, I will be in LA for an evening next week for a meeting, essentially flying in from chicago, a vendor will meet me, take me to dinner, then back to the airport.

the vendor asked what type of food I'd like to eat. my first thought would be sushi, because I've had good luck with Sushi in LA. I'd probrably prefer a burger, but I'm not eating that much red meat now, and I can't really ask him to take me someplace like a burger joint. I actually don't mind california pizza, and haven't had any in maybe 3 or 4 years. I don't really like all that stuff where they take perfectly good food and make it into vapor or sheets or cardboard or what ever.

what can I get in LA that is better than anywhere else?

looking for suggestions.

whodini

Conan OOOOOOO"BRIEN!
Reaction score
Does it matter where in LA? Santa Monica/Venice have a number of decent spots if you need to keep it close to LAX. For burgers I'd recommend The Counter, Father's Office, and the Library Alehouse, or if you're headed near Downtown or Hollywood I've heard good things about Blue Dahlia and Twenty Five Degrees at the Roosevelt is pretty damn good. With the exception of the Counter, those places aren't exactly In-N-Out in the sense that they're not burger joints in the traditional sense so you could get away with it being a "meal" place.

There are plenty of places better than CPK if you're interested, Vito's and Nicky D's are two places that come to mind.

Seafood maybe? A number of good places along Santa Monica and Malibu.

Roikins

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Well, if you want pizza, there's Pizzeria Mozza, and if you want a good burger try the newly opened La Grande Orange in Santa Monica. Being LA, you'll probably find pretty good Asian or Mexican food, but it might depend on the vendor's knowledge of such things.

Baron

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
You could go really right by sticking with Japanese, but it really depends where he takes you. There are a number of great Japanese spots on the West side, especially around Sawtelle Blvd. It's hard to recommend types of food rather than restaruants - you could get good and bad food in any style. I'll second Who's reco of Father's Office. Especially with the new location in Culver City, which has a much bigger menu in addition to the famous burgers.

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
thank you, but, no, sorry - let me clarify. the guy who I am meeting will probrably set the resteraunt. he asked me what kind of food and he would make a reservation. since he will probrably pay, I don't want to say what resertount. I am basically interested in the type of food that would be best to try in LA, as apposed to other parts of the country. like if I was in memphis it would probrably be bar-b-que, chicago steak, etc

but thanks again

Bird's One View

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Japanese, Korean, possibly Thai or Vietnamese. You can find bad versions of all these (bad Thai is especially abundant), but the good stuff is notable.

Whatever you do, stay away from Mexican.

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
yeah, I am leaning towards japanese - we have good vietnames in chicago, and I get to asia pretty regularly.

lawyerdad

Lying Dog-faced Pony Soldier
Reaction score
WTF whodini and Baron? I love you guys, but can't you read the "no specific restaurants" part? (that said, I'm a big fan of Father's Office and Library Alehouse. I lived staggering distance from the latter when it opened; I miss that.)

Anyway, I'd second the suggestions of Japanese (sushi or just generally) or Korean. You can also get some amazing Chinese if the vendor wants to take you out to the San Gabriel Valley. You can also get great seafood -- but as with everything else, it can be mediocre or downright bad depending on what they choose.

LA also has a number of really excellent Italian places -- which can be a good choice if you're also a wine fan.

matadorpoeta

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
persian
peruvian
brazilian
asian "fusion"
korean spicy fried chicken, they sell this at pubs where you pig-out on the chicken, potatoes, salad, and pitchers of beer. not fine dining, but it's something a little different that you can't find in every city.

and the safest i would say is french. i've never been to a bad french joint outside of france.

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
the spicy fried chicken really makes my mouth water, but that may b e alittle specific to ask for for somebody I don't know who is taking me for a business meal.

ok looks like japanese it it.

thanks, all

whodini

Conan OOOOOOO"BRIEN!
Reaction score
Originally Posted by lawyerdad
WTF whodini and Baron? I love you guys, but can't you read the "no specific restaurants" part? (that said, I'm a big fan of Father's Office and Library Alehouse. I lived staggering distance from the latter when it opened; I miss that.)
Well, hell, I was citing examples to argue for good burger joints in LA. Like Baron said, it's hard to argue types of food than good restaurants since it's like throwing a dart in the dark. You can go to Little Havana for Cuban food and almost certainly either be disappointed or pleased. I think the problem is that I'm too much of a foodie to just say, "LA has great Mexican," or whatever because undoubtedly someone would immediately find examples to prove me wrong. If I said, "sushi," and globetrotter ended up at Todai or Yoshinoya I don't think I'd be able to live with myself.

Xericx

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
the thing is if you're at LAX in the evening it will take forever to get anywhere ethnic or special. unless waiting in a car an hour there and back is reasonable for you to do. Japanese food by the airport sucks for the most part.

I would say:

*Persian Food- Westwood. really good stuff around.

*Japanese Food- Sawtelle area in West LA.

*American food with local ingredients- Beechwood in Marina del Rey, Joe's in Venice or Wilshire in Santa Monica.

or Corporate-y type of restaurants with solid steaks, ribs, burgers--Houston's, Salt Creek Grille, Flemings, etc...VERY close to the airport and popular for business meetings such as what you are describing.

I say go for japanese asian fusion, which is popular in LA. Katsuya in Brentwood is great but might be a bit far. Sashi in Manhattan Beach is a decent clone of it and is 10-15 minutes from LAX. Its that whole robata bar/sushi/izakaya concept. Overpriced though but its a good scene and I like the food and atmposhere. Not sure if that concept is going around, but its what is "hot" in LA...or at least it was and people are copying it.

If push comes to shove, you can try the Korean Taco Trucks which is "hot" from twitter (or go to the Alibi Room in culver city which is a bar that serves it).
stirpot.gif

Get Smart

Don't Crink
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Xericx
If push comes to shove, you can try the Korean Taco Trucks which is "hot" from twitter (or go to the Alibi Room in culver city which is a bar that serves it).
stirpot.gif

the famous Kogi truck....it was near my work one day but I dont wanna stand in line for an hour to get a few tacos

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by whodini
If I said, "sushi," and globetrotter ended up at Todai or Yoshinoya I don't think I'd be able to live with myself.
hey, thanks - but I dont hold anybody responsible for bad food I injest.
actually, if I was choosing for myself I would try toi korean tocos. maybe I'll get back to LA for a few days sometime.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads