• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Oily skin

Ambulance Chaser

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have oily skin prone to breakouts.  Can anyone recommend a good cleanser, toner, exfoliator, and mask?

DallasBoy

Reaction score
I have oily skin too and this seems to work well for me:

Cleanser: Kiehl's Non-Detergent Foaming Wash
Exfoliate: Clinique for Men Scrub (or Lab Series)
Toner: Kiehl's Blue Astringent
Mask: Kiehl's Rare Earth Facial Masque (this stuff is great)

Also, you should still use a moisturizer because the above products may dry out your skin too much. I use Kiehl's (I think I have an addiction) Sodium PCA Oil-Free Moisturizer. This stuff is really light so won't make your face shiny.

thc

Reaction score
Here's what I use:

Peter Thomas Roth Oily/Sensitive Skin Cleanser (night)
Cetaphil Oily Skin Cleanser (day)
Aesop Tea Tree Scrub
Peter Thomas Roth Conditioning Tonic Toner

I also use Kiehl's Lycopene Facial Cream Moisturizer during the winter when my face gets on the dry side. Otherwise, I just use sunscreen and that's always been enough. For sunscreen, I use MD Forte because it is extremely light and really absorbs well. It really is a misconception that everyone needs a moisturizer. If your face feels fine w/o any tightness or flakeyness, then you probably don't need one.

Also with regard to the Kiehl's blue astringent be careful if your skin is sensitive to alcohol because that product contains a fairly high percentage of it.

Once in awhile, I'll also use either Kiehl's Rare Earth Mask or the Umbrian Clay Mask made by Fresh. I also like products made by Phytomer.

GatorStyle

Reaction score
Kiehl's Blue Herbal Astringent should definitely be a go-to product for oily skin but, like the previous post warns, be careful not to dry out your skin. Follow with a good moisturizer.

If all else fails, you might want to experiment with Aramis Surface Shine Erasing Gel. It won't eliminate oiliness, but it will cut the glare and shine given off by oily skin, so that your skin doesn't look oily.

Bradford

Current Events Moderator
Reaction score
This is going to sound kind of dumb, but I like it. My wife got me some of the Mary Kay Cosmetics stuff for men. It's called Skin Management for Men and it's really good stuff.

The one thing I don't really use is their cleansing bar, it's a lot like Neutragena. Personally, I find that Noxzema works better than anything to clean my face.

I really like the Skin Management shaving cream. It's works very well and leaves my skin feeling great. I follow that up with "cooling toner" and then I use their oil controller moisturizer which works very well and has an SPF 8 sunscreen included as well.

Hope this helps,

Bradford

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads