• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Newly in Love with Serious Footwear: Wanna Learn about Taps

Sadly Not Yohji Yamamoto

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I bought a beautiful pair of boots recently and would like to learn how to care for them as best as possible. I've spent half the day googling about toe and heel taps, however, some questions remain as the info is largely scattered across forums; there isn't any definitive taps primer it seems.

1. It seems with sole guards, as long as you replace the sole guards when necessary, you'll never never to resole your shoes. If my impression is correct, is that also the case with taps? I'm guessing no since taps only shield a tiny portion of the sole.
2. I've seem some people add taps on top of sole guards. What are the advantages and disadvantages of this compared to using only sole guards or taps?
3. Is there a limit to how many times taps can be replaced?—will there no longer be any places left for new screws or are the holes merely filled in?
4. Are indented toe taps and flush toe taps referring to the same exact thing?
5. Judging by some posts, it seems metal heel taps are not recommended (slippery and loud). Are heel taps of other materials worthwhile? I've seem some positive mentions for nylon.
6. Always metal toe taps, never plastic or rubber or anything else?

Thank you for any help!

Murlsquirl

The Moral Squirrel
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I bought a beautiful pair of boots recently and would like to learn how to care for them as best as possible. I've spent half the day googling about toe and heel taps, however, some questions remain as the info is largely scattered across forums; there isn't any definitive taps primer it seems.

1. It seems with sole guards, as long as you replace the sole guards when necessary, you'll never never to resole your shoes. If my impression is correct, is that also the case with taps? I'm guessing no since taps only shield a tiny portion of the sole.
2. I've seem some people add taps on top of sole guards. What are the advantages and disadvantages of this compared to using only sole guards or taps?
3. Is there a limit to how many times taps can be replaced?—will there no longer be any places left for new screws or are the holes merely filled in?
4. Are indented toe taps and flush toe taps referring to the same exact thing?
5. Judging by some posts, it seems metal heel taps are not recommended (slippery and loud). Are heel taps of other materials worthwhile? I've seem some positive mentions for nylon.
6. Always metal toe taps, never plastic or rubber or anything else?

Thank you for any help!

I have flush metal taps on one pair and have no issues with them. All over my other shoes are free of taps/guards and I prefer it that way. If you have a decent rotation, the soles will last a very long time. After that, resoles are not that big of a deal.

Sadly Not Yohji Yamamoto

Reaction score
I have flush metal taps on one pair and have no issues with them. All over my other shoes are free of taps/guards and I prefer it that way. If you have a decent rotation, the soles will last a very long time. After that, resoles are not that big of a deal.

I don't intend to rotate much at all, wishing to wear these shoes as often as possble—partly a reason for the questions. Though I'd wish to learn about posed questions even if I were to rotate regularly.

maxalex

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Regardless of any sole protection you should always rotate your shoes, which gives the leather time to rest and dry out. As for taps I would never install any on the surface of the sole. The only taps I have are inset metal toe taps, installed by the shoemaker (not later by a cobbler). Unlike heel taps they will not make noise but can scratch some floors.

I would not do anything with your boots. If they are well made (hand sewn or Goodyear welted) the soles can be replaced. Possibly the maker offers this service, always preferable to a third party.

Sadly Not Yohji Yamamoto

Reaction score
As for taps I would never install any on the surface of the sole. The only taps I have are inset metal toe taps, installed by the shoemaker (not later by a cobbler).

I assume you're speaking of flush metal toe taps? I'm still familiarizing myself with the terminology.

I would not do anything with your boots. If they are well made (hand sewn or Goodyear welted) the soles can be replaced. Possibly the maker offers this service, always preferable to a third party.

While I prefer to do nothing with my boots, I would like to prolong their live as long as possible. From some time reading around, it seems most say that shoes usually can only be resoled 2-3 times. So I'd like to forestall the need to resole. Mine are blake stitched.

maxalex

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I assume you're speaking of flush metal toe taps? I'm still familiarizing myself with the terminology.

While I prefer to do nothing with my boots, I would like to prolong their live as long as possible. From some time reading around, it seems most say that shoes usually can only be resoled 2-3 times. So I'd like to forestall the need to resole. Mine are blake stitched.
Inset, flush and indented mean the same thing.

Blake stitch can only be resoled with a Blake machine. Blake rapid can be welted easily like Goodyear. Some (few) cobblers can properly build up a sole and retrofit inset toe taps. One in NY is
B. Nelson and they can ship.

Metal heel taps are pointless. They make noise, and heels are easily replaced anyway.

Sadly Not Yohji Yamamoto

Reaction score
Metal heel taps are pointless. They make noise, and heels are easily replaced anyway.

What about heel taps of other materials which do not make noise? In the absence of noise, do they offer advantags, namely to forestalling resoling even further?

I've read that heels are readily replaced, but what do people mean when they say that? Are they referring to the entirety of the heel or only to the rubber portion (is it called the toplift?) of the heel, if it has one? If it is just the rubber portion that's to be replaced, then the owner needs to be watchful to return to the cobbler before the wear goes through the rubber into the leather portion? If not, then I assume a resoling would be required.

Thanks.

maxalex

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What about heel taps of other materials which do not make noise? In the absence of noise, do they offer advantags, namely to forestalling resoling even further?

I've read that heels are readily replaced, but what do people mean when they say that? Are they referring to the entirety of the heel or only to the rubber portion (is it called the toplift?) of the heel, if it has one? If it is just the rubber portion that's to be replaced, then the owner needs to be watchful to return to the cobbler before the wear goes through the rubber into the leather portion? If not, then I assume a resoling would be required.

Thanks.
The entire heel can be replaced. I would not screw external toe or heel taps, of any material, onto any pair of shoes. The only possible improvement, in my view, is having a qualified cobbler build up the sole and add metal toe tap inserts.

Sadly Not Yohji Yamamoto

Reaction score
The entire heel can be replaced. I would not screw external toe or heel taps, of any material, onto any pair of shoes. The only possible improvement, in my view, is having a qualified cobbler build up the sole and add metal toe tap inserts.

While the entire heel can be replaced, would doing so cost more than replacing only the rubber portion and does endlessly replacing the whole heel affect the structure/durability of the rest of the sole?

What is building up the sole? Aesthetically, I prefer the look of sole guards with metal toe tap inserts compared to only sole guards, but I don't understand what functional advantages the former brings. Is it that it delays toe sole guard replacement further?

johng70

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If you really like these boots buy a second pair so you can rotate them. I know you're focusing in on the sole and heel, but in doing so you're forgetting about the insole and the rest of the leather. That all needs time to dry out from sweat. What good does it do if your sole looks good but the upper leather is damaged?

norcaltransplant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I add plastic toe taps to my everyday shoes, and fork out the extra money for steel insets for anything >$1k MSRP. The need for taps is highly dependent on your gait. I wear down my toes much faster than the rest of my sole, so taps are mandatory.

I consider heel taps a fall risk.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads