• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

New York Times Style Section, today

johninla

Reaction score
There were two interesting articles. One was on Helmut Lang. I've never owned anything from Lang, but I'm curious to know if he has any fans out there. Also, there was a piece on New and Lingwood shoes, made from Russian deerskin, found in a sunker ship and on and on... actually, I've seen the shose and they're gorgeous. Have any of you drops a few grand for a pair of those shoes?
John

Get Smart

Don't Crink
Reaction score
Originally Posted by johninla
There were two interesting articles. One was on Helmut Lang. I've never owned anything from Lang, but I'm curious to know if he has any fans out there.

There's quite a few fans of Lang in the Streetwear section, esp of his denim

LabelKing

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Helmut Lang has a cult following as a designer.

The skins you refer to are the Russian calf from the Danish ship, the Catherina von Flensburg. I personally think--beyond their historical novelty--that the skins are quite hideous, looking exactly like what they are: submerged, old skins or something pulled from a middle-aged Miami trophy wife.

mack11211

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Lang was great. The stuff was so well made and so minimal that you didn't need to buy new stuff. Eventually, this became a problem for the company. The going out of business sale at the store in Soho last year was crazeee. I got some cheap jeans, tho.' The russian calf amuses the NYT style section to no end: the leather was also featured in the story two years ago that alerted me to this forum
teacha.gif

Tomasso

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by LabelKing
submerged, old skins or something pulled from a middle-aged Miami trophy wife.

I sort of dig some of those old birds; they're kind of saucy, in a Clockwork Orange kind of way.
blush.gif

neyus

Reaction score
Can someone provide links of post pictures of the end result of this sunken treasure seeking adventure?

Film Noir Buff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by LabelKing
Helmut Lang has a cult following as a designer.

I personally think--beyond their historical novelty--that the skins are quite hideous.

It does seem a case of novelty driving elegance.

They used to make the skins way too thick back then. They really arent appropriate for shoes to wear with a jacket and tie in the traditional sense. I suppose if they were made into one of those Austrian models they could be quite hip but still there are better choices out there, like Vass.

Ivan Kipling

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The only Helmut Lang product I ever owned, was the fragrance, CUIRON. At first, I could handle it. Then, it got too strong. I gave it away.

JJ4549

Reaction score
The Russia calf leather when polished with a mid tan wax polish .. look incredible . A Timeless classic , I had myself a fitting with a pair and the shoe had a destinctive odour to it which was unlike anything i have ever smelt. Also there is a gentleman I think colin austin is his name explained all about the history which game me an incredible impression of the exclusivity of the Leather.. But does come at a price 990 for a pair of ready made...

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads