• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

New Watch

kmwrestle

Reaction score
For quite a while I have wanted an Omega Speedmaster professional. This Sunday I actually got it, making it by far the nicest watch I own. Now my question is what do I do with my other watches

Right Now I have
Omega Speedmaster Professional
Hamilton Linwood Automatic (My first nice watch)
Movado series 800 Chrono (a gift from work)

Essentially they are all black faces chronographs. I cant see myself wearing either of the other 2 over the speedy pro, as they are both similar in style, but nowhere near in the same class. I have debated selling them, but not sure what they are worth, or if it is even worth selling. I was kind of thinking of putting a leather band on the hamilton as it is a nice watch, but i am unsure if i would even wear it like that, or if i should just get a leather band for the speedy.

The movado i don't see ever wearing again. It is quartz and not what I want in a watch. i feel bad selling it because it was a gift, it does have "thank you from company name" inscribed on the clasp which i assume i would need to remove prior to selling.

Im kind of looking for advice on what i should do, part of me says keep all 3 put a leather band on the hamilton and just keep the movado in a drawer. part of me says sell the 2 and buy a watch i actually like. I think my ideal watch rotation would be the speedy pro as my chrono, either a breitling superocean or omega seamaster (i think i would go breitling just to have a different brand) as a dive watch(i live near the ocean and do come in contact with the water regularly so I would like a nice dive watch) and some sort of dress watch, i have been thinking of a stowa antea or maybe a vintage omega.

Thanks for the help/advice.

spertia

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Congrats on the new purchase -- it is a watch that is definitely on my want list. Given that you really can't see yourself wearing the other two watches again, I would just bite the bullet and sell them. There is no point in keeping them just to have a "collection" on hand, and you may end up feeling like you need to wear them from time to time in order to justify keeping them, when in fact you would still rather be wearing the Speedmaster instead.

kylelovesyou

Reaction score
Sell the two you don't want and buy one that you do. Better one on the wrist than two in the drawer.

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
What a great watch. I'm a sucker for the awesomeness of the subdials' depth and how they mirror the shape of the crystal.

robw

Reaction score
I am a recovering watch freak. A new/ different strap on the Hamilton will make it seem like a new different watch.

Re the Movado, if it will only yield a few pennies if sold, it may be worth keeping just for its sentimental value(if any). Otherwise sell it.

longskate88

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
How about keep the Movado for gym/pool/sports duty? A tough chrono can come in handy in those situations.

Captain Winky

Reaction score
Keep the other two. You'll probably get less than a grand for them, and if you still work at the company that gave you the watch it'll be nice to have to wear to company functions a couple times a year. Also, if someone were ever to say "gee, you never wear that Movado we gave you" you can show up in it for the rest of the week.

Plus it's nice to have a beater. Your Omega will take quite a licking, but there are places I don't want to wear my Rolex in spite of it being the toughest watch I own more for fear of it being stolen.

kmwrestle

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Captain Winky
Keep the other two. You'll probably get less than a grand for them, and if you still work at the company that gave you the watch it'll be nice to have to wear to company functions a couple times a year. Also, if someone were ever to say "gee, you never wear that Movado we gave you" you can show up in it for the rest of the week.

Plus it's nice to have a beater. Your Omega will take quite a licking, but there are places I don't want to wear my Rolex in spite of it being the toughest watch I own more for fear of it being stolen.

That is why i had kept it origionally but the management changed... so the management who gave me the watch is gone, there is only 4 of us remaining who even got the watch, one gave it to his brother and the other 2 would never wear it.

exchange239

Reaction score
I love my Speedmaster as well. Looks great, enjoy the watch. Beauty of a co-ax in the lengthy service windows that you can kick back and not have to worry about.

One thing I noticed over time about my Speedmaster is how the dust likes to collect in the cracks of where the bezel meets the band end piece. Also be careful about dinging the bezel on things here and there.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 95 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads