• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Need help refining my shoe collection

STYLE_ADDICT

Reaction score
This forum is truly addictive and dangerous!! The more I read the more obsessed I become with feeling the need to refine my wardrobe, and the best way to do that I guess is to start from the bottom and work my way up.

I have roughly 20 pairs of dress shoes/boots in my current collection consisting of Mezlan (1), Cole Haan (4), Aldo (12), Johnston & Murphy (1), and probably a couple others I can't think of. After reading this forum for the past couple of months I have come to the conclusion that I have roughly 20 pairs of junk that I have wasted my money on. I don't have any of the ugly square toe atrocities as I try to stick to more classic designs, but I do have a few that are on the more narrow end. I try to invest in shoes that can do double duty as in work and after hours so I definitely take that into consideration when purchasing.

I usually spend about $90-$150 on a pair of shoes so that is where my budget is. I am assuming Allen Edmonds (e-bay) will be the entry level shoe that will fit my budget, but if there are others please let me know. Here come the questions:

1) Do you feel that the style of trouser, flat front or pleated, influences the style of shoe that should be worn? Is it not so much whether the pant is flat front or pleated rather than the weight of the fabric that influences what shoe should be worn? I know that sounds weird but let me explain what is maybe only my odd point of view. I feel that a cap toe design made on a more narrow last looks good with both pleated and flat front trousers regardless of fabric weight. On the other hand, I feel that a split toe oxford made on a wider last needs a more substantial trouser to look right. This could obviously be just my silly point of view. I have 3 season wool trousers in pleated and flat front as well as winter weight wool trousers in pleated and flat front. I want my shoes to be as universal as possible.

2) I believe shoes are made to be worn, and not stored in a box so I wear all of my shoes.....a lot. Keeping with the fact that I like to be able to wear my shoes for both work and after hours (ie., out to dinner, social events, etc..) what styles will give me the most wearability? I would like to be able to wear my shoes with high quality denim as well as trousers is what I am saying I guess.

3) I would like to reform my collection and weed out some of the junk so I would like to purchase about 4-6 new pairs in 2008 to start a solid foundation. I would like to do 2 shoes in a variation of brown, 2 black, and 1-2 pairs of must have boots (dress of course). I want to work on the brown first and have been looking at the Evanston in cognac, the Soho in saddle brown, the Belmont in brown, and the Manhattan in brown (not sold on the brogueing). Thoughts? Additions?

I want to thank you in advance for your guidance. I hold the knowledge of the forum members in high regard and wish to learn much from many of you.

speedster.8

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I did read ... id look at the Greenson threads on the forum to.

Tried on a pair recently, was pleassantly surprised. but retail 260€ in france was ofputting to subb 100$ on ebay ...

JR88

Reaction score
STYLE_ADDICT Is it not so much whether the pant is flat front or pleated rather than the weight of the fabric that influences what shoe should be worn? [/QUOTE said:
This is what I give the most thought to when selecting my shoes in the morning. (That and whether it's going to rain.) It's cool that you analyze these things to the extent you do. For me it's just balance and proportion.

Assuming you already have pants of several different fabrics and weights hanging in your closet, you don't have to be so picky when you go shopping because chances are whatever you buy will match well with at least something.

Above all, remember that one fantastic pair of shoes is better (and cheaper) than three or four mediocire pairs. Six fantastic pairs will last you a long, long time. Wear each pair once or twice a week. Then put them to bed with cedar shoe trees.

STYLE_ADDICT

Reaction score
Originally Posted by bigbris1
I didn't read ^ but post pics of your shoes. We can go from there.

That may be a bit of a problem but I will try. Never posted pics before.

Originally Posted by speedster.8
I did read ... id look at the Greenson threads on the forum to.

Very nice, and noted, Thank you.

Originally Posted by JR88
Assuming you already have pants of several different fabrics and weights hanging in your closet, you don't have to be so picky when you go shopping because chances are whatever you buy will match well with at least something.

Above all, remember that one fantastic pair of shoes is better (and cheaper) than three or four mediocire pairs. Six fantastic pairs will last you a long, long time. Wear each pair once or twice a week. Then put them to bed with cedar shoe trees.

Very true on both counts. Thank you for the reply.

Anybody else? I know from reading this forum that there has to be more opinions out there. Your reply wont be a waste of time on a newbee....I'll earn your respect in good time
smile.gif

pitboss12

Reaction score
Originally Posted by STYLE_ADDICT
I don't have any of the ugly square toe atrocities

I thought Aldo sold nothing but ugly square toe atrocities
laugh.gif

In addition to the suggestions so far, you might want to look into Loake shoes as a decent entry level British shoe. You will want to keep to the 1880 and Shoemaker groups. Widely available online through UK sites and e-bay.

Trojanman74

Reaction score
i am in the same boat as you but ive put a little bit more work into it.

if you read around most people have a love for the upper tier of shoes. the best advice i can give you one to newbie to another is to just look at what style they are wearing, see what you like, and then start shopping ebay/B&S board. ive already picked up 3 pairs of AE's for roughly 250 dollars. these are shoes im planning on lasting me awhile with some care on my part.

what you'll find out if you havent already is that the "last" a shoe is made from is a big deal in the upper end shoes. if you're going to be name dropping AE names, go into one of their stores to see what they fit like. since rarely do two peoples feet fit the same shoe the same way, heck rarely are a persons two feet the same size, how they fit other SF'ers wont help you out. once you find a last that fits you, you can find other lasts that fit you and lasts that wont.

i dont really want to get into other things ive learned but i will say it has all been learned from reading through the mens clothing board. i dont know what exactly is the problem with J&M shoes, im pretty they're just the honda civic of the shoe world, but your other shoes can probably be handed down to family members now.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 101 36.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 100 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 36 12.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 46 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.7%

Forum statistics

Threads