• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Need assistance creating a look (special occasion)

seattlefromson

Reaction score
Background: I have a very special event this upcoming Thursday

It is the most important event of my life. It will take place in the afternoon.

I have a beautiful Nino Cerruci suit (tailored) and I also have a Balmain wool shawl-lapel blazer (one button, tailored, similar to the one pictured below):

h1E3Rn1.png

I thought of using the Nino Cerruci suit with a lavender or white shirt. Why? The combination of the Cerruci suit with a lavender or white shirt offers no margin for error. But... no risk, no fun... and I so wish to wear the Balmain shawl-lapel blazer.

Detail: I am size medium, but have a long, thick neck, so none of my dress shirts allow me to wear a tie. I should have all of my dress shirts tailored, but I only have money to tailor one piece at a time.

If I choose to wear the Balmain wool shawl-lapel blazer, what should I pair it with?

This is a formal event, but because this particular event will take place in the afternoon I don't want to particularly look like I am dressed for a gala event. I want to create a casual look, but elegant.

Choices are:

Pants:
  • Black trousers closely matching the shaw-lapel blazer
  • Light gray trousers
Shirts:
  • White dress shirt
  • Lavender dress shirt
  • Maroon (red) dress shirt
Shoes:

• Oxford shoes (patent leather)
  • Loafers (patent leather)
  • Monkstraps (patent leather)
  • Monkstraps (cognac color)

Belt:

• All my belts are black and none match black patent leather; I am wondering on whether or not to wear a belt.

Tie:

• I cannot formally wear a tie, not the usual way, because my neck is too thick and I don't have a tailored dress shirt.

Pocket square (optional):
  • White
  • Gray
  • Colorful (light yellow, blue, gray)

Would you please help me with your expertise, dear dandy gents?

Last edited:

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
IMO, the choice between the suit and jacket should be determined by which fits you better. It's hard to say without seeing photos.

If the suit fits you better then I would go with that. If the jacket fits you better, then I would pair the jacket with:

1. White shirt
2. Light grey trousers (assuming the black pants weren't literally made for the suit -- close enough matching fabric isn't really enough).
3. No belt, assuming your light grey trousers don't have belt loops. Belt if they do.
4. Black patent shoes in oxford or loafers
5. White pocket square

The above could be a good monochromatic look. Don't go too far out by trying to wear something with a lot of personality. A black, shawl collar jacket is already a lot. Honestly, even a well-fitting suit can be a stand out thing nowadays.

Don't wear the maroon shirt or the cognac shoes though. Too prom-ish, and not in a good way.

Good luck with your event!

seattlefromson

Reaction score
IMO, the choice between the suit and jacket should be determined by which fits you better. It's hard to say without seeing photos.

If the suit fits you better then I would go with that. If the jacket fits you better, then I would pair the jacket with:

1. White shirt
2. Light grey trousers (assuming the black pants weren't literally made for the suit -- close enough matching fabric isn't really enough).
3. No belt, assuming your light grey trousers don't have belt loops. Belt if they do.
4. Black patent shoes in oxford or loafers
5. White pocket square

The above could be a good monochromatic look. Don't go too far out by trying to wear something with a lot of personality. A black, shawl collar jacket is already a lot. Honestly, even a well-fitting suit can be a stand out thing nowadays.

Don't wear the maroon shirt or the cognac shoes though. Too prom-ish, and not in a good way.

Good luck with your event!

Thank you for your assistance! I am very grateful for your advice.

Both the suit and the jacket fit me (both are tailored pieces), but I feel that the jacket reflects my personal style and individuality, whereas the suit doesn't do it so well. It's a beautiful, magnificent suit, but for this particular occasion I want to look appropriately dressed while having fun. Following all the rules poses no risk; no risk means no fun, no individuality, no self-expression.

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Thank you for your assistance! I am very grateful for your advice.

Both the suit and the jacket fit me (both are tailored pieces), but I feel that the jacket reflects my personal style and individuality, whereas the suit doesn't do it so well. It's a beautiful, magnificent suit, but for this particular occasion I want to look appropriately dressed while having fun. Following all the rules poses no risk; no risk means no fun, no individuality, no self-expression.

If they both fit well, and it's a festive occasion, then I'd do the shawl collar jacket with light grey pants, white shirt, and black loafers. I like pocket squares if you're not going to wear a tie. Sometimes a really simple, monochromatic look, when put together right, can make a really strong visual statement.

You'll do great either way. Have fun at your event!

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 93 36.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 29 11.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 14.8%

Forum statistics

Threads