• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

natural deodorant (mineral salt, crystal, etc)

ihavezippers

Reaction score
I didn't see a thread dedicated to natural deodorants, so... I got a crystal deodorant from Mom's organic grocery, I don't think it is "the" crystal deodorant I've seen many people praise, but the one I have been using seems ineffective and I wonder if I'm not using it right or maybe this brand isn't as good as "the" crystal deodorant. I don't have particularly strong BO, and I shower after exercise so I'm not looking for something that needs to be industrial strength to combat heavy sweat. Still, my crystal (which is basically a polished rock-sphere similar to marble which you wet and rub under your arms) allows some BO smell through after a couple hours of application---and when I put it on, I don't get any sensation that I am actually putting anything on my body besides the water rolling off the crystal (the water doesn't seem to be pulling any minerals/nutrients/stuff from the crystal)---its like the Emperor's New Clothes/placebo in deodorant-form, I'm rubbing this rock on my underarms daily like an idiot because the packaging and everyone else tells me it works well.

Can anyone recommend a natural deodorant that they've found effective? if nothing else I'll try "the" crystal deodorant.

I've also seen some posts on the forum that shaving your pits is effective in reducing BO, so I'll give that a try. Another post recommended rubbing alcohol in your pits once a week. Anything I can do to increase the effectiveness of these more human-body-friendly products would be greatly appreciated.

DJosef

Reaction score
My fav: Talc and a drop of perfume. And keep your armpits shaved. It just works. :)

Reggs

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Shaving will cause stubble when it begins to grow back. Use nair for 8 mins before you get in the shower at night, and put aftershave on your underarm when you sleep. I've been doing it for 11 years.

Tom's has an unscented deo that is more effective than crystal.

texas_jack

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I use the crystal that comes in a pink container. I don't remember the brand. I dry my armpits and then gently wet the crystal, rub on underarms and then lay down and let it dry for a minute or two. Works for me. If I don't use it I stink in a couple hours so I know it's working.

No, I don't shave my armpits. That's just weird,

Harold falcon

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
The crystal has to be a scam. Can anyone explain how it is supposed to work?

prozach1576

Reaction score

Shaving will cause stubble when it begins to grow back. Use nair for 8 mins before you get in the shower at night, and put aftershave on your underarm when you sleep. I've been doing it for 11 years.
Tom's has an unscented deo that is more effective than crystal.

The Tom's unscented deodorant is completely worthless. It actually makes me smell more quickly than wearing nothing at all, and I do not have bad body odor.

texas_jack

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

The crystal has to be a scam. Can anyone explain how it is supposed to work?

No, it actually works the same as normal deodorants. It uses bacteria inhibiting salts to prevent smell. The only difference is that it doesn't have an extra scent to cover body odor.

Harold falcon

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

No, it actually works the same as normal deodorants. It uses bacteria inhibiting salts to prevent smell. The only difference is that it doesn't have an extra scent to cover body odor.

What are these "bacteria inhibiting salts?" As far as I can tell I've never seen a deodorant crystal with a list of ingredients.

texas_jack

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

What are these "bacteria inhibiting salts?" As far as I can tell I've never seen a deodorant crystal with a list of ingredients.

There is only one ingredient. It is a salt.

Google it motherfucker

Last edited:

Harold falcon

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

There is only one ingredient. It is a salt.
Google it motherfucker

I just did google it. There seems to be a dearth of reliable information on the ingredients. That does not bode well and I'm calling shenanigans until someone provides a reputable source that it works. Consumer Reports doesn't even have a listing for it.

DJosef

Reaction score

Actually, most of the ones I saw came with an ingerdients list. Usually it is Potassium Alum, but I've also seen a Himalayan rock salt bar which was, obviously, Sodium Chloride.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads