• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

My girlfriend wants a new purse/handbag...

heyleroy

Reaction score
...dammit. Just talked to her, Coach is out because she has too many. No big buckles, still wants brown, and wants it to be a larger purse rather than a clutch/small deal.

Englandmj7

Reaction score
Originally Posted by gdl203
A nice vintage Bottega Veneta - that's my recommendation and I'm sticking to it

Originally Posted by Jodum5
GDL, I'm with you if you can get one for $300.

I love BV personally, but in all fairness, VERY few women would appreciate this. Sadly, of many of the girls I know who have spent thousands on handbags, probably <1% of them would know of BV, let alone appreciate a used and/or vintage purse by them. A bit risky if you ask me.

heyleroy

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Englandmj7
I love BV personally, but in all fairness, VERY few women would appreciate this. Sadly, of many of the girls I know who have spent thousands on handbags, probably <1% of them would know of BV, let alone appreciate a used and/or vintage purse by them. A bit risky if you ask me.
Unfortunately, she would fall under the majority of that statistic. she did, however, ust tell me that "it can be $40" for all she cares...this is the worst present request ever.

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Jodum5
GDL, I'm with you if you can get one for $300.

I bought one for my wife last month for $85

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by heyleroy
Unfortunately, she would fall under the majority of that statistic. she did, however, ust tell me that "it can be $40" for all she cares...this is the worst present request ever.

Well - you seem to have a pretty good idea of what she will NOT like from your responses so far. Why can't you deduct what she would like?

What's her style? She's 22 but does she dress conservatively? Or edgier? Does she wear flower dresses or black leggings?

ghulkhan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
id have to agree with the vintage bv

heyleroy

Reaction score
Well - you seem to have a pretty good idea of what she will NOT like from your responses so far. Why can't you deduct what she would like?

What's her style? She's 22 but does she dress conservatively? Or edgier? Does she wear flower dresses or black leggings?

She dresses extremely conservatively and pretty plainly most of the time...I may just end up taking her shopping sometime this week because, as noted, shopping for a purse is a total trap. I wish I could just pay for a day at a spa or something
plain.gif

rdawson808

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
A nice vintage Bottega Veneta - that's my recommendation and I'm sticking to it

I think this is great advice--I say that as a man who bought his wife a purse before I knew her. Don't ask.

I would also suggest a Maira Kalman (sp?) Kate Spade. They're not made anymore and they look fab. She'll love it.

bob

Bergdorf Goodwill

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
heyleroy,

As a fellow Columbus resident, my advice to you is to hit up the Village Discount Outlet on Cleveland Ave. and buy her a gaudy Louis Vuitton fake for $60. Perhaps you can put the vintage Bottega inside it?

Unforgettable moments.

heyleroy

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Bergdorf Goodwill
heyleroy,

As a fellow Columbus resident, my advice to you is to hit up the Village Discount Outlet on Cleveland Ave. and buy her a gaudy Louis Vuitton fake for $60. Perhaps you can put the vintage Bottega inside it?

Unforgettable moments.

laugh.gif
Oh man that is an amazing idea...may have to go with this regardless of what I get her. Thanks!

dkzzzz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Do you have Filenes' Basement in your town? They always have mid range bags there like Ferre or Cavalli. I bought my wife Ferre medium brown bag and it's her favorite bag now.

StockwellDay

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I disagree that she won't know BV. As long as any of these brands, i.e. Gucci, Fendi, Pucci, MJ, BV, etc, etc, have made it into a magazine like Vogue or US Weekly, I would bet your girlfriend would know it. Anyways, I would look at something like Kooba, Carlos Falchi, Mulberry, Bottega, Balenciaga, Botkier, Marc Jacobs, & Rafe -- you'll likely have to find one on sale to fit your budget though. I'm guessing your girlfriend is looking for something like this: http://www.saksfifthavenue.com/main/...37500&ev19=1:5 The good thing about the brands above is that while popular, they don't have that same lowest common denominator appeal of the repeating pattern bags, therefore they are less likely to be faked on eBay, so you may find a good deal.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 95 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads