• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

my custom langlitz

blake

Affiliate vendor
Reaction score
After wanting one for more than 20 years. I finally decided to order a custom leather jacket from Langlitz here in Portland, Or. I am actually embarrassed that I do not own one already. I am from portland (or at least have lived half my life here) and should already own one of these amazing pieces. They have been here since 1947 and all the details can be found on their site. www.langlitz.com. This might be one of the worst sites ever, but that is part of the appeal. It feels like the first website ever made.

details of my specific jacket;

Crescent style

black

medium cow leather.

two zippered hand pockets (leather lined)

one chest pocket

added gun pocket (if someone offers the option of a gun pocket don't you have to take it?)

stash pocket in the inside left armpit (maybe I should not have told you about this one) The guy measuring me actually told me at this point that the portland police department is aware of these pockets.....

added zipper wallet pocket in the inside.

all pockets other than the hand pockets will be lined with 10oz cotton duck fabric.

Normal wait time can average 12 months. Mine will be done in roughly a month. I think maybe the economy and the slow season helped me get this faster. They did show me an article in the NYT that just was written where they featured some of the jackets and said that they send out a bunch of catalogs.

funny story. When I went to the shop for the first time I have to admit I was a little intimidated. These jackets are for hard core bikers (which I am not) I pulled a flight jacket off the rack that had a cloth band at the bottom. I said "can I get this jacket but with a leather bottom. His response was "Then it would not be that jacket" I did not stay long....

we have since had discussions about their japanese products including their denim being made with Kevlar in japan. we are buddies now.

see my blog for one fuzzy picture of me getting measures. my girlfriend is not a very good photographer with my iphone. I will update with photos when I get the jacket. feel free to ask any questions.

Ludeykrus

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Langlitz is serious leather. Funny hearing about the buying process.

Get those pics up as soon as the jacket gets in!

blake

Affiliate vendor
Reaction score
Originally Posted by kiya
Can you post some photos of the type of jacket you're getting made?
yes. the one pics I found online are not great. I think I will go back this week and put on a "stock" model that will be similar and post pics for all of you. It will not be exact since mine will have an additional pocket but it will at least be the same silhouette. they do not have my style on their website for some reason. kiya, hope you are well. its been a while......

kiya

Brand Representative
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Originally Posted by blake
yes. the one pics I found online are not great. I think I will go back this week and put on a "stock" model that will be similar and post pics for all of you. It will not be exact since mine will have an additional pocket but it will at least be the same silhouette. they do not have my style on their website for some reason.

kiya, hope you are well. its been a while......

Yeah, their site is a bit terrible actually, i'm curious how yours turns out, i'd probably get one too if i was in Portland.
Hope all is well with you, you coming down to Inspiration LA?

blake

Affiliate vendor
Reaction score
I think the jacket is going to turn out really well. they did a great job measuring and if it is not quite right, they will fix it until it is. I am lucky a company as great as this one is based here.

kiya,
you might just have to come up to get one. when you do, you better bring me a burrito.....

kiya

Brand Representative
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
I couldn't wait to come out to Portland, i ordered one via mail last week.
Cascade, medium weight black cowhide, shoulder/elbow pads (double layer), goat skin pad covers, tan cowhide zipper pulls, all made to measure. I should have it in about 10 days.

blake

Affiliate vendor
Reaction score
kiya,
did you ever receive this jacket? I got mine and they had to re-make the entire thing as there was something weird going on with the leather. I have my new one and it is amazing. I will get some pics taken and post them.

witz

Reaction score
Old thread, but would love to see photos from Blake or Kiya. Thinking of getting one myself.

kiya

Brand Representative
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
This jacket was a big fail for me. I never wear it because its so damn stiff and heavy. It was a waste of every penny.
Also, the sleeves came out longer than i wanted them at so its only comfortable WHILE you're on bike, otherwise the sleeves bunch up and the jacket stands a bit off my shoulders because of how heavy and thick the leather is.
Since this i've realized that a leather jacket should not be this rigid or else it just won't be wearable until you've broken it in over years of wear.

acl1

Reaction score
langlitz typically doesn't do horsehide, but will reluctantly do so for a pretty significant upcharge (~$1000 from 3-4 years ago, if I remember correctly). Their cow is quite fantastic though.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads