• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

MTM Suit Dilema

Anders

Reaction score
I'm boarding a plane to Korea in 4 hours and I figure I'll get a suit made while I'm there. Based on recommendations I plan on going to Hahn's Tailor. However, I realized that since I don't wear suits, I know nothing about what details I want for the suit. I know general fit and what looks good on people, but I don't know the small details that make a good suit (by SF standards). So my question is, should I go to Korea and get a suit, where a tailor will measure and fit me, but not knowing much about suits, or do I wait and learn more about what makes a good suit and mail order one from TaT (not measured by them)? I think they'll be roughly the same cost. Or someone could give me general guidelines for my 5'8", 150lbs frame. From what I've briefly researched I'm thinking low gorge, 2.5"-3" lapel, side vents, no pleates or cuffs.

Thanks.

Anders

Master Shake

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You don't want a low gorge. The success of a MTM or bespoke suit in large part depends on the commissioner's choices and how they articulate what they want. If I were you, I would learn more, especially if the TaT suit is the same price. While I've never tried TaT, I understand their suits are nicely made, and from what I've seen here on the forum, they do a good job. I don't think you'll be missing out on anything by not going in ill-informed with the Korean tailor right now.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 94 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.5%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads