• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

MTM shirt critique

Kiwi Man

Reaction score
Originally Posted by yimmy
I'm no expert but it looks to be too big about everywhere.

I agree with this statement because I consider myself NOT an expert either. The armhole seems to have excessive fabric and the sleeves are really long.

However, your second shirt fits you slightly better. At least, I can see that your fabric on your underarm are not bunchy.

CousinDonuts

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by PaoloM
I think it looks fine, and I am a MTM shirt rep. You want to have the cuff snug enough that the extra fabric bunching moves, as you move your arm. If it was any tighter than that, if you were my customer, I'd remake the shirt.

Yikes Paolo, I completely disagree. This shirt is too big everywhere. My OTR shirts fit like this. The neck and shoulder width look fine, but the sleeves, chest/back, waist and hips are all too big, causing blousy-ness and weird draping. Either that, or the OP didn't actually tuck it in all the way.

GiltEdge

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by CousinDonuts
Yikes Paolo, I completely disagree. This shirt is too big everywhere. My OTR shirts fit like this. The neck and shoulder width look fine, but the sleeves, chest/back, waist and hips are all too big, causing blousy-ness and weird draping. Either that, or the OP didn't actually tuck it in all the way.
What people need to remember is unless you are flat as a rail, you need that extra slack for when you move and sit. I just created a new shirt pattern for myself and received the sample today, I removed 2'' from the body and still have some slack, I wouldn't dare remove that because I know it's needed. And also once again, I am trained in custom shirts professionally.

Navi

Reaction score
What people need to remember is unless you are flat as a rail, you need that extra slack for when you move and sit. I just created a new shirt pattern for myself and received the sample today, I removed 2'' from the body and still have some slack, I wouldn't dare remove that because I know it's needed.

And also once again, I am trained in custom shirts professionally.

Just because you're a trained professional does not mean you are always right. The shirt is way too big. Obviously there are larger people who want some "slack" but for everyone else that is no excuse for a poorly fitting shirt.

AlexE

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What people need to remember is unless you are flat as a rail, you need that extra slack for when you move and sit. I just created a new shirt pattern for myself and received the sample today, I removed 2'' from the body and still have some slack, I wouldn't dare remove that because I know it's needed.

And also once again, I am trained in custom shirts professionally.

I can see your argument regarding the extra fabric around the waist - without knowing the OPs body it is hard to judge if he needs it when sitting down. However, the bulking of sleeve fabric is excessive - I am surprised that a trained professional does not see this.

nihraguk

Reaction score
I agree that there's too much sleeve fabric.

I recently got a shirt made at one of the new MTM tailors where I live, and the person who took my measurements said the same things as PaoloM. They didn't agree with my decision to have the cuff end at the intersection of the base of my thumb and my wrist - they said it was too short, that the cuff would ride up when I moved my hands, and that my jacket sleeves would be too long. At the first fitting for the shirt, the sleeves bunched up like the OP's, though not as significantly, and again I had to be firm that I wanted them to be shortened.

I'm not saying this to criticise PaoloM or the people who took my measurements at that MTM place; just observing that PaoloM's assessment seems to be something consistently applied by other MTM reps as well.

DaveDr89

Reaction score
the Gitman shirt could definitley be taken in a bit in the chest and waste and obviously on the sleeves. I'm 5'9" and 175 lbs with 33" waist. The Barba shirt is actualy a tad tight in the shoulders and chest, although it first relatively well and looks nice it is not extremely comfortable.

yimmy

Reaction score
Second shirt posted looks better. I don't understand why people say its "fine". These are MTM shirts, they are supposed to fit you damn near perfect. You don't see store displays where the clothes fit fine.

DaveDr89

Reaction score
agreed. if we're going to pay a premium there shoukld be a noticiable difference (in the postive direction).

tonio028

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by bjornb17
The MTM shirts people keep posting on here for critiques always look all out of whack!

My thoughts exactly. Most of my OTR shirts look worlds better. I guess I'm one of the lucky ones.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 38.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 35.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 29 11.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.0%

Forum statistics

Threads