• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Moving to Palo Alto for work. What should I know?

kwilkinson

Having a Ball
Reaction score
Introduce yourself to member Roikins and you will undoubtedly be the best-fed person in Palo Alto.

Roikins

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by kwilkinson
Introduce yourself to member Roikins and you will undoubtedly be the best-fed person in Palo Alto.

laugh.gif
Me?! Probably Matt; he cooks AND goes out.

You can go to Baume a lot and suck on molgas cuisine all day. The CalTrain isn't bad, it just doesn't run frequently enough. You really are better hopping on 280 since there's never traffic on it and doing the 25 minute drive to/from SF if you don't want to live in PA. The problem with PA for a 20-something is that it isn't like your typical college town if you're from a place like the Mid-West or Texas. There are lots of rich, older people so there are more restaurants than bars, and the restaurants really aren't all that great. If you want to get work done, it's a nice place to be, because it's quiet with not much going on. Any of the clubs/bars they have tend to be filled with grad students, the khaki/blue shirt crowd, the young "hip" dotcommer, or older people. Since it's a new job, you might want to get a place in PA for 6 months since it might work better for you to be close to work without too many distractions as you learn things. Then once you get comfortable, move to SF.

Don Carlos

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Next time you're out in PA, hit up my boy Mark. Zuckerman? Zuckerstein? I forget his last name; it's been awhile. Anyhow, I heard he's running some sort of scrap-booking company out there or something. I hope he's doing alright. I worry about that kid.

bkk

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Roikins
Since it's a new job, you might want to get a place in PA for 6 months since it might work better for you to be close to work without too many distractions as you learn things. Then once you get comfortable, move to SF.

After having my brain race at the thought of moving to SF instead of PA into the wee hours of the morning, I started coming to this conclusion. Although I'd much rather have the city lifestyle, let's face it, I might as well get to know the area and job before committing to a long lease.

Gus

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Won't you get to know the PA area because of work and co-workers? Consider being the cool guy in the office who lives in SF, even if you just get a short term sub lease. Try 4-6 months in SF. You will be very happy that you did. There is nothing quite like it when in your 20's and single. You can always move to the 'burbs when you are old, dull, have kids and boring....
smile.gif

BTW, I live in the East Bay and had a lot of younger employees who lived in the city. They loved it in spite of the commute.

whiteslashasian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I know quite a few young people that live here in NYC and commute up to Westchester and some parts of CT for work. They wouldn't want live anywhere else but the city and gladly take the reverse commute.

+1 to the idea of living in SF for 3-6 months and commute out to PA to see how it works out. If you REALLY can't stand the commute then you're not locked in to staying in SF for too long. Chances are you'll enjoy the balance.

romafan

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I would often visit my wife out there for long weekends in the early 90s. We usually went up to SF, but I liked PA, too. Highlights: (for a NYer) Molly Stones; Tacqueria Andale, Ink(? bookstore/newstand coffee place): Vin, Vino, ? (wine store); trips over the hill to the coast; proximity to SF, trips to Ysemite, Sonoma, Point Reyes, etc.; the vintage movie theater; being in California! You'll need a car.

Abraxis

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
They have Andale in the city as well. It's a solid place, but I like the triangle of Taquerias in Mountain View better (La Bamba, La Costena and Los Altos Taqueria) by old middle field and rengstorff.

fredfred

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by djblisk
Smart, yuppy poor.

If you are a single male. Do not live there. Although the girls in the southbay are hotter than the City itself.

I love SF except for the par plump girls that hate on LA girls because a 10 in SF is a 5 in LA.

The above is very true.

I've lived in both Mtn View/Palo Alto and The City (San Francisco) itself. I was in my 20's the first time. Palo Alto is sunny and 75/85 most every day. SF is foggy and 65 every ******* day. If you like fog, go to SF (I'm not joking).

Taxi? Train? Never, unless you want a house in suburbia (concord, east of oakland) and you commute into SF. Otherwise, no.

I highly recommend living in PA or within a 20 min drive. You can always drive up into SF when you want. Parking in PA is tough? hahaha... wait until you try to park in SF.

And yes, due to the very high concentration of engineers there are more men then women, and this does have an effect on your selection of women. A friend from NYC put it best; "What the hell is with the women out here? You have B and C grade women with Grade A attitudes!".

Moving to NYC makes the world a better place in that respect.

bkk

Reaction score
Originally Posted by fredfred

I highly recommend living in PA or within a 20 min drive. You can always drive up into SF when you want. Parking in PA is tough? hahaha... wait until you try to park in SF.

I visited a friend while out there for my interview. We tried parking in Castro after happy hour on a Friday. No parking + steep hills = a new challenge in life. I'm used to giving up in DC and paying for a garage. Should I also mention that I've had a recurring nightmare since childhood of going up a steep hill in a car and flipping backwards?

And yes, due to the very high concentration of engineers there are more men then women, and this does have an effect on your selection of women. A friend from NYC put it best; "What the hell is with the women out here? You have B and C grade women with Grade A attitudes!".

Moving to NYC makes the world a better place in that respect.
I've lived in the DC area for 6 years, and have visited Baltimore more times than I care to admit. From what I saw, a B or C out there is equivalent to getting an A in a weighted course here.

Abraxis

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yup yup Socal destroys us in the girl department can't be denied.

pebblegrain

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Abraxis
They have Andale in the city as well. It's a solid place, but I like the triangle of Taquerias in Mountain View better (La Bamba, La Costena and Los Altos Taqueria) by old middle field and rengstorff.
Andale in SF is not the same thing as in PA. Only the name is the same. PA is a rotisserie chicken place. Best mexican food in the entire bay area is 5 minutes from Palo Alto - Middlefield Rd in Redwood City. **** rengstorff and **** the mission. Another thing. People don't take the caltrain because there is no parking. People take it because they get reimbursed by work, they are pro environment, or they like doing work on the train. 99% of people on Caltrain have 1 (or multiple) cars at home.

Abraxis

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Ah not familiar with the place on University. Haven't heard anything about it though.

What's the place in middlefield rd in redwood city? Tacos El Gruillense (sp?). If so, that place is vastly inferior to La Bamba ;p especially after the price hike.

If it isn't that place, then I'm definitely willing to check it out.

pebblegrain

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Abraxis
Ah not familiar with the place on University. Haven't heard anything about it though.

What's the place in middlefield rd in redwood city? Tacos El Gruillense (sp?). If so, that place is vastly inferior to La Bamba ;p especially after the price hike.

If it isn't that place, then I'm definitely willing to check it out.

There are 10 places on middlefield better than La Bamba. Grullense is not one of them

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads