• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

motorola Q

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
anybody have one? any comments?

faustian bargain

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
i have a RAZR. it's fine, no complaints. i'm not a connection aficionado though. all i know is it works from my house with cingular, whereas sprint on an LG did not.

i got it because it looks nice.

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
unclear - it might not be released yet, but some people have them. I have a razr, and I am looking at getting the palm 650, but I wanted to know about the Q. it doesn't look like it will be available for GSM anytime soon, though.

but it does look cool

SGladwell

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Palm has also released a decent version of their 700 smartphone, running their OS instead of that train-wreck. Right now I think it's only CDMA but I assume a world-wide (i.e. GSM) release will follow.

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by SGladwell
Palm has also released a decent version of their 700 smartphone, running their OS instead of that train-wreck. Right now I think it's only CDMA but I assume a world-wide (i.e. GSM) release will follow.

not fast enough

Soph

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
March 31st $199 with 2 year contract Verizon only CDMA
ONline orders
June 5th Store orders from my source.

Matt

ex-m@Triate
Reaction score
Ive had this one for a couple months - its called the L6 in Asia, US etc, dunno:

motorola-l6.jpg

I like it, but have two problems with it - it drops calls a little too often for my liking and i dont like the SMS predictive text. It remembers things I wish it wouldnt (most notably, punctuation), which messes it up severely. Say if I type "What are you doing?" in one message, come back 10 mins later and write "Im doing nothing", when I start typing 'doing' it predicts that I want the question mark again, and so I cant just accept the word, have to type the whole thing with a space after it to get what i want. And, to make matters worse, it wont remember spaces, so the next message after this, will STILL want to put in the question mark.

Very annoying.

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by m@T
Ive had this one for a couple months - its called the L6 in Asia, US etc, dunno:

motorola-l6.jpg

I like it, but have two problems with it - it drops calls a little too often for my liking and i dont like the SMS predictive text. It remembers things I wish it wouldnt (most notably, punctuation), which messes it up severely. Say if I type "What are you doing?" in one message, come back 10 mins later and write "Im doing nothing", when I start typing 'doing' it predicts that I want the question mark again, and so I cant just accept the word, have to type the whole thing with a space after it to get what i want. And, to make matters worse, it wont remember spaces, so the next message after this, will STILL want to put in the question mark.

Very annoying.

yeah, nobody has a human interface like nokia. but the new generation of motorolas have a nice feel to them.

Matt

ex-m@Triate
Reaction score
interface wise i always really liked my Sony Ericsson phones. Ive had two and I found them incredibly intuitive - everything felt like it was where it should be. The Motorola a lot sexier though.

j

(stands for Jerk)
Admin
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Apparently the Vzn plan for the Q is quite expensive. I am very interested in getting into one of these though. I could really use the ability to check email and get on the web, along with a calendar sync and the potential ability to use the phone as a cellular modem - possibly canceling my cable modem service at home if it works well enough...

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by j
Apparently the Vzn plan for the Q is quite expensive. I am very interested in getting into one of these though. I could really use the ability to check email and get on the web, along with a calendar sync and the potential ability to use the phone as a cellular modem - possibly canceling my cable modem service at home if it works well enough...

I am very suspicious of how comfortable it will be to work on such a small screen as your primary web interface. I have surfed from a treo, and found it less enjoyable then one might hope.

j

(stands for Jerk)
Admin
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by globetrotter
I am very suspicious of how comfortable it will be to work on such a small screen as your primary web interface. I have surfed from a treo, and found it less enjoyable then one might hope.
I wouldn't expect it to be very useful for lots of things, but for a quick map/Google search or something it could come in handy. I was reading that the Q may have an addon for another $15/month to hook it up to a laptop like a cellular modem. Since I carry my laptop pretty much everywhere this would be very useful. One way or another I am going to have to get cellular modem service eventually.

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by j
I wouldn't expect it to be very useful for lots of things, but for a quick map/Google search or something it could come in handy. I was reading that the Q may have an addon for another $15/month to hook it up to a laptop like a cellular modem. Since I carry my laptop pretty much everywhere this would be very useful. One way or another I am going to have to get cellular modem service eventually.

I've used a treo for mapquest, google, phone number searches, even getting into chowhound to ask for a recomendation. for that stuff it is perfect, for real surfing it is too small.

A Y

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have a Treo 600, and I agree that it's way too small for general web surfing. For looking up stuff on Google or Wikipedia, it's great. It's great for general email, but I would not give up a broadband connection for it.

Google maps won't work on it because it doesn't have a good AJAX environment. There are some unofficial efforts to get this going, but it's not supported by Google.

--Andre

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads