• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Mosquitos

dragon8

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
there's a machine that works well but its expensive IIRC. I think the Navy uses it. I'll try to find the product.

HORNS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Skeeters are attracted to carbon dioxide, so the device mentioned above emits CO2, fueled by propane, and has a trap for the insects. It is indeed expensive and I believe less reliable in windy areas. I remember the product Skin So Soft (Avon?) works well as an alternative mosquito repellent. Edit: Here's a solid article on mosquito traps: http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases...0607013042.htm

dragon8

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by HORNS
Skeeters are attracted to carbon dioxide, so the device mentioned above emits CO2, fueled by propane, and has a trap for the insects. It is indeed expensive and I believe less reliable in windy areas.

I remember the product Skin So Soft (Avon?) works well as an alternative mosquito repellent.

Bingo!!! Its called Mosquito Magnet. Expensive it is-against mosquitos anyway.

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by texas_jack
Use the spray. It's the only thing that works. Also, make sure you don't have any mosquito "farms" in your back yard. They have been known to breed in bottle tops with a little water in them.

Spray or lotion is the only thing that works for me. I seem to be a magnet for them.

MrG

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I've found that citronella candles and torches work well.

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Jekyll
Hmm...I tried a citronella candle last night. I set it on a table less than a foot away from me. The F***ers just flew right over it like it wasn't there. Maybe I need to use more?
Citronella candles don't work for me either. I have to apply repellant directly on my skin, and if I miss a spot, the mosquitos find it and proceed to eat me alive.

HORNS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I've never found citronella to work. Also, FYI, the plant happens to be quite toxic to cats.

kwilkinson

Having a Ball
Reaction score
Originally Posted by HORNS
I've never found citronella to work. Also, FYI, the plant happens to be quite toxic to cats.

I looked into the citronella thing last night. I read a study that said use of citronella only reduced bites by 42%. So apparently citronella is effective, but not very much so if used on its own. Supposedly it should be used in conjunction with another repellent. It's just weird in that I don't think I've ever used anything but citronella for casual stuff like sitting on the porch or whatnot, and I have found it to be very effective in my own experience.

Johnny_5

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've heard that lemongrass plants work and out a couple on my deck to try out for the summer. Anyone ever tried this?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads