• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

More eBay Knockoffs - Now Violins

tweedlesinpink

Reaction score
haha, that is an interesting article and experiment. would he have gotten a different response had he been in...london? prague? tokyo? singapore?

what is one joshua bell recording that you enjoy? i think i haven't heard enough of him...i have his version of the prokofiev D major sonata that i wasn't immediately very taken with. i will investigate further!

amerikajinda

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
That's an interesting question -- would he have gotten a different response had he been in a different city? Well, I wasn't surprised that in D.C. only one person out of more than 1,000 recognized him, and that seemingly only a small handful could actually tell that he was something special... I would venture to say that if this same experiment were conducted in London, Tokyo, or Vienna, for example, more people would have appreciated his playing... it's just that the cultural literacy of the average person going to work for the U.S. government is so low... I like all his cds - but you might try this one, "Romance of the Violin" (or his newest one, "Voice of the Violin", to hear his $4 mil. Strad...)
b0000dg06l01sclzzzzzzzamf1.jpg

tweedlesinpink

Reaction score
sounds good. i'll go look for it at the record stores.

spent an hour at the luthier over the weekend talking to him! found out a little more trivia about my fiddle as well as the bow that i'd broken. i think i will be going back soon to look for a new bow...

Lucky Strike

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by amerikajinda
That's an interesting question -- would he have gotten a different response had he been in a different city? Well, I wasn't surprised that in D.C. only one person out of more than 1,000 recognized him, and that seemingly only a small handful could actually tell that he was something special... I would venture to say that if this same experiment were conducted in London, Tokyo, or Vienna, for example, more people would have appreciated his playing... it's just that the cultural literacy of the average person going to work for the U.S. government is so low...
Maybe, maybe not, but I think Eastern Europe would be your best bet for recognition with this experiment. Just read the article, very well written.

tweedlesinpink

Reaction score
just a question to the other violinists here--
have any of you played/performed mendelssohn's octet in E flat?

i've been hunting for a good recording of it and i think i might have found one today...no real reason for asking except that it's such an exciting piece, constructed so elegantly, i find myself wishing i had seven other players right now.

amerikajinda

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by tweedlesinpink
just a question to the other violinists here--
have any of you played/performed mendelssohn's octet in E flat?

i've been hunting for a good recording of it and i think i might have found one today...no real reason for asking except that it's such an exciting piece, constructed so elegantly, i find myself wishing i had seven other players right now.

Haven't played it and don't even think I've ever heard it -- will check it out per your recommendation. Have you played Mendelssohn's violin concerto? I never get tired of it... sounds fresh every time I play it!

tweedlesinpink

Reaction score
his E minor? yep i've played it but i prefer to listen to it (and i do that often)...i don't do it justice
wink.gif
perhaps when i get to looking at the piece properly again i've been listening to pieces with a strong viola part recently, i think i've developed a real keenness for that instrument. mozart's sinfonia concertante, duo (for violin and viola)--all with great viola lines. in the hands of a good player like david oistrakh the viola provides some beautiful colours to the pieces. incidentally that recording has david oistrakh on viola, and igoroistrakh his son on violin. lovely rapport between the two.

amerikajinda

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Oops - forgot he had written an earlier concerto in D Major! But yeah - the E minor is the one I meant - it's in my top 10 violin concertos of all time.

Viola is a cool instrument... are you familiar with the opening to Berlioz' Harold in Italy?

tweedlesinpink

Reaction score
it's a pity mendelssohn passed away at...what? 37 or something. it's scary what he might have achieved otherwise.

never heard it, sorry! (more likely that i've heard it, but never gone to find out what it was)
is it a notable extract for the viola?

amerikajinda

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by tweedlesinpink
it's a pity mendelssohn passed away at...what? 37 or something. it's scary what he might have achieved otherwise.

never heard it, sorry! (more likely that i've heard it, but never gone to find out what it was)
is it a notable extract for the viola?

It is THE piece for viola... you have to listen to it!

tweedlesinpink

Reaction score
haha, my bad
the last i heard, william walton's concerto for viola was the **** as far as viola was concerned...i'll go and look for berlioz then

antirabbit

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have a nice rough track to share, if you want to hear it, pm me with your e-mail address!
fiddle in a band stuff.
Chad.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 93 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 30 11.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 43 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 14.7%

Forum statistics

Threads