• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

MLK's Mountaintop Speech

Margaret

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Ugh, let's not turn this into a CE thread.

Southern-Nupe

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Margaret
Ugh, let's not turn this into a CE thread.
It's my mission to turn every post into a CE thread.
devil.gif

....besides, I agree with FLMountainMan, MLK was a very powerful speaker, both he and Churchill offered some of my favorite speeches and quotes.

FLMountainMan

White Hispanic
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Southern-Nupe
At what point did I state 'what party loves Black people more'? I merely stated historical evidence of the political line as it related to Blacks and the Civil Rights movement. I suggest you take a look at the past threads I've posted in, you'd be surprised to learn that I'm actually an independent, and don't believe in giving either party my full allegiance, (based solely on the fact it's individuals, not the parties that would have my best interests in heart). Did you assume because I'm Black, I stand behind the Democratic party 100%?
smile.gif

....and Cosby is not as conservative as some would think (I support nearly everything he stated), regardless I do agree with your view on the media's representation of Jesse Jackson as the official leader for all Black people.

Yeah, I actually wasn't directing that at you, I was trying to stave off the inevitable CE-type debate on here (thanks, Margaret), kind of a pre-emptive strike against the Liberty Ship-types who try to turn everything partisan.

And I used Cosby as a very broad black conservative (which I tried to make clear in my post - I couldn't think of a recognizable black conservative that would fit well - Jesse Peterson? Ward Connerly?), I know he's really not very politically conservative at all. I meant it more the way my following sentence meant - along the lines of the media/white people using Jesse Jackson to paint all black people as thinking his way, while isolating Bill Cosby as some outlier.

jpeirpont

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by FLMountainMan
Yeah, I actually wasn't directing that at you, I was trying to stave off the inevitable CE-type debate on here (thanks, Margaret), kind of a pre-emptive strike against the Liberty Ship-types who try to turn everything partisan.

And I used Cosby as a very broad black conservative (which I tried to make clear in my post - I couldn't think of a recognizable black conservative that would fit well - Jesse Peterson? Ward Connerly?), I know he's really not very politically conservative at all. I meant it more the way my following sentence meant - along the lines of the media/white people using Jesse Jackson to paint all black people as thinking his way, while isolating Bill Cosby as some outlier.

People tend to forget Jesse agreed with Bill the day he first made the "pound cake" speech.

jpeirpont

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Southern-Nupe
It's primarily because of the 'Dixiecrats" and the fact the majority of Dems at the time were the primary supporters of Jim Crow and segregation ie George Wallace, Thurman, etc. It wasn't until 1964-65, that these lines began to shift.

Consequently, many of the Dixiecrats switched parties.

Nupe you need to learn how to ignore certain types.

Southern-Nupe

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by FLMountainMan

My fault, otherwise you selected some great speakers.

Southern-Nupe

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by jpeirpont
Nupe you need to learn how to ignore certain types.
True,
smile.gif

I thought the poster who refered to MLK as a Repub, was just stating a fact (which is close, but not completely true). I didn't think he meant any ill will, I was just reiterating the reasons why.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads