• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Men's clothing

bugs

Reaction score
I am planning to go on my first ever cruise this summer and I have been hearing about wearing a tux on a cruise. Can anyone tell me where people wear a tux on a cruise and is it necessary? Where can one buy a used tux?  Thanks so much in advance for your help, Bugs

joshxfoo

Reaction score
When I went on a cruise last spring there was one formal dinner (tux for the men, formal dresses for the women), and the rest of the dinners were semi-formal to casual. Everyone was expected to wear a tux for the formal dinner; those who didn't were definitely disapproved of. However, the cruise ship provided tux rentals for this occasion, so you might want to contact your cruise line to see if this is a possibility. The rental is probably pretty expensive; I'm not sure, because mine was free since the cruise line lost my luggage and didn't find it in time for the formal dinner (though I did eventually get it back).

Stu

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I just went on a cruise in the Caribbean in the first week of April, and I took a dark blue 3 button Canali, and I was fine. There were 2 formal nights and I wore it both nights -- with 2 different ties.
There were a few people wearing tuxes but they looked out of place, if you ask me. But you can rent tuxes on most cruises, at least on the one I was on, which was the Royal Caribbean Adventure of the Seas. I would suggest takng just a dark suit and if everyone is renting tuxes, I would do so, but if not you are well prepared.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads