• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Members from Finland??

makker

Reaction score
Its mostly up for Stockmann for casual clothing and then Fere for suits. Thats all. Stockholm whips Helsinki's ass unfortunately.
frown.gif

Napoleon

Reaction score
I'm from Finland too. Vasa actually.

ville_e

Reaction score
Originally Posted by makker
Its mostly up for Stockmann for casual clothing and then Fere for suits. Thats all.

Stockholm whips Helsinki's ass unfortunately.
frown.gif

I'm not a big fan of Stockmann. Some other stores in Helsinki that come to mind are Seven, Beam and Nicolas.

Gent

Reaction score
For God's sake guys, shop online. There's barely anything worth buying in town, it's all unpassable garbage sold at prices more suited for premium quality.

Ok, for suits there's MTM services which are ok or even good, but other than that, there's barely a decent garment worth buying - barring extreme finds and sales. Haven't had any bespoke suits made locally, so I can't comment on those. If anyone has, I'd be more than interested in hearing about your experiences. There's an overabundance of people taking the lazy route of using one of the touring Asian tailoring services. Haven't tried those, either, but FWIW they tend to have their shortcomings, and probably don't live up to the expectations or the price. Avoid Stockmann at all costs, the quality as a general rule is terrible and the prices outrageous. The Stockmann MTM service is particularly ridiculous.

In addition to the ones mentioned, Helsinki's got at least www.vaatturiliikesauma.com. In addition to suits, they have Dormeuil ties and Alfred Sargent shoes.

For streetwear, it's a bit different, as most international labels are easily found. The prices, as has been duly noted by the press, are among the highest (if not the very highest - memory fails me) in Europe. If travelling for clothes is not an option, then I guess all one can do is just stomach the fact that one's being positively robbed.

ville_e

Reaction score
I totally agree with you Gent about Stockmann's. I try to avoid it at all costs.

Most stores charge outrageous prices!

qma

Reaction score
Simo Hähyä was very stylish in his own sense:

Who was he?

Simo Hayha had a fairly boring life in Finland. He served his one mandatory year in the military, and then became a farmer. But when the Soviet Union invaded his homeland in 1939, he decided he wanted to help his country.

Since the majority of fighting took place in the forest, he figured the best way to stop the invasion was to grab his trusty rifle, a couple of cans of food and hide in a tree all day shooting Russians. In six feet of snow. And 20-40 degrees below zero.

Of course when the Russians heard that dozens of their men were going down and that it was all one dude with a rifle, they got ******* scared. He became known as "The White Death" because of his white camouflage outfit, and they actually mounted whole missions just to kill that one guy.

They started by sending out a task force to find Hayha and take him out. He killed them all.

Then they tried getting together a team of counter-snipers (which are basically snipers that kill snipers) and sent them in to eliminate Hayha. He killed all of them, too.

Over the course of 100 days, Hayha killed 542 people with his rifle. He took out another 150 or so with his SMG, sending his credited kill-count up to 705.

Since everyone they had was either too dead or too scared to go anywhere near him, the Russians just carpet-bombed everywhere they thought he might be. Supposedly, they had the location right, and he actually got hit by a cloud of shrapnel that tore his coat up, but didn't actually hurt him, because he's the ******* White Death, damn it.

Finally on March 6th, 1940, some lucky bastard shot Hayha in the head with an exploding bullet. When some other soldiers found him and brought him back to base, he "had half his head missing." The White Death had finally been stopped...

...for about a week. In spite of having come down with a nasty case of shot-in-the-face syndrome, he was still very much alive, and regained consciousness on March 13, the very day the war ended.​

Sorry to go a little off topic but seriously, you must have at least 500 statues of him.

ville_e

Reaction score
Originally Posted by qma
Simo Hähyä was very stylish in his own sense: Who was he?
Simo Hayha had a fairly boring life in Finland. He served his one mandatory year in the military, and then became a farmer. But when the Soviet Union invaded his homeland in 1939, he decided he wanted to help his country. Since the majority of fighting took place in the forest, he figured the best way to stop the invasion was to grab his trusty rifle, a couple of cans of food and hide in a tree all day shooting Russians. In six feet of snow. And 20-40 degrees below zero. Of course when the Russians heard that dozens of their men were going down and that it was all one dude with a rifle, they got ******* scared. He became known as "The White Death" because of his white camouflage outfit, and they actually mounted whole missions just to kill that one guy. They started by sending out a task force to find Hayha and take him out. He killed them all. Then they tried getting together a team of counter-snipers (which are basically snipers that kill snipers) and sent them in to eliminate Hayha. He killed all of them, too. Over the course of 100 days, Hayha killed 542 people with his rifle. He took out another 150 or so with his SMG, sending his credited kill-count up to 705. Since everyone they had was either too dead or too scared to go anywhere near him, the Russians just carpet-bombed everywhere they thought he might be. Supposedly, they had the location right, and he actually got hit by a cloud of shrapnel that tore his coat up, but didn't actually hurt him, because he's the ******* White Death, damn it. Finally on March 6th, 1940, some lucky bastard shot Hayha in the head with an exploding bullet. When some other soldiers found him and brought him back to base, he "had half his head missing." The White Death had finally been stopped... ...for about a week. In spite of having come down with a nasty case of shot-in-the-face syndrome, he was still very much alive, and regained consciousness on March 13, the very day the war ended.​
Sorry to go a little off topic but seriously, you must have at least 500 statues of him.

hehe true, he was considered to be the greatest sniper that ever lived.
smile.gif
A real-life Rambo! He has the highest recorded number of confirmed kills in any major war.
biggrin.gif
Of course there is also Lauri Törni aka Larry Thorne (the movie "green berets" with John Wayne is based on him) : http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lauri_Törni A fierce anti-communist, Törni fought for three different armies against communists around the world.

Chuha

Reaction score
Hello there!

Havent been active for awhile, reason being: I was abroad. Yes, I am Finnish.

mct358

Reaction score
Moi!
Also from Helsinki, Finland..

Its 2012 now and not all the shops mentioned in this thread exists anymore.

I'd be curious to find out where my Finnish brothers find good value for money in FIN. I'd love to buy from here but tend to order online almost everything.

ville_e

Reaction score
It would be nice to hear your opinions on stores that you shop at in Helsinki.

Here is my list:

Beams
My o My
Fere
Nicolas

mct358

Reaction score
Let's update the 2015 store list for Helsinki, Finland

Sauma,
Tombolini, Tagliatore, Caruso and many other Italian sartorial brands
Very pro people own and work at Sauma.
Good percentage of their turnover comes from alterations etc.

Schoffa,
(own brand)
From MTM shirts Schoffa has evolved into a all round supplier of basically everything a gent needs. Inc. Junior section.
Schoffa works under their own label and offers really good value. MTM shirts are made in Estonia and almost everything else in Italy.

Stockmann,
largest department store in Helsinki. They carry so many brands from PT01 pants to Canali/Armani/Zegna and million things in between. Check out their CITY OUTLET where I have picked up great deals.

Fere,
Turnbull&Asser, Kiton, Brioni, Isaiah, Pal Zileri
Haven't been able to use Fere that often as their pricing is pushing thru the roof. Very Expensive brands which I personally source from the net to save some money. I do however once or twice a year pick up something from their sales.
Where I would use them is to MTM a Smoking jacket or Frack. They have a quite good rep for that and more modest pricing for house brands star from under 1,000€

Other places:

- Solo Shop,
one major store for many brands like Canali, Tiger of Sweden etc. I can't stand this place be
cause you cant take one step without one of their very pushy (though good looking) saleswoman on your case. They run a hard sale, but sometimes I buy socks from them...and say no alot to their sales staff trying to push **** onto me by complimenting constantly how they have something really special for me.

- Tuomo,
Haven't found anything from there yet but decent range of suits and casual clothing.

- Xtra
Outlet, Right next to Tuomo and Fere offer a mixed bash of Italian unknown brands for below name brand pricing. Once I saw a LBM 911 jacket there for a decent price but other than that I have never found any really decent deals there. Either the quality of garment is not happening or the pricing is not happening.

- Sartoria Rossi,
Italian tailoring. Haven't used it yet, but keen to try their 2 suits for 2K€ deal one day. great looking stuff though.

- Manglani/Stefano Ricci,
Unless you are overspending tourist or an idiot this store is not for you.

LuxGentleman

Reaction score
A long time ago you could say that MANGLANI was expensive, today LUXGENTLEMAN SHOP offers MANGLANI leather goods at discounted prices of 70%, all MANGLANI leather goods are produced by Italy's most renowned leather goods which is ARALDI 1930 MILANO, which it also produces for the HERMES brands, BERLUTI, KITON, LOUBOUTIN, GIVIES & HAWKES, ANDERSON & SHEPPARD ETC. ETC.
MANGLANI leather goods are made with the best materials in the world, bag linings and small leather goods are in pure silk, and leather is only of the highest quality.
if someone is interested or can only visit our sartorial clothing shop, I am an affiliate seller and at the bottom of my answer you will find a 15% welcome discount,
if you have any questions, I remain at your disposal.
Alessandro Battaglia CEO of LUXGENTLEMAN

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 100 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 98 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 34 12.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads